blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:53:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 88 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)  (Read 304523 times)
pokerjungle
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 17, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »

When you hold your coins on coinbase you dont control the private keys so its at their discretion if they want to credit the forked coin to you and if the site was ever hacked you would lose all your coins.  Like others have said the smart play for everyone is to store there coins on a hardware wallett Nano Ledger or Trezor. You control the private keys so you can keep your coins completely safe this way and benefit from all the forked coins. Anyone who tells you different is wrong and doesnt understand how the technology works.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:39:42 PM by pokerjungle » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »

When you hold your coins on coinbase you dont control the private keys so its at there discretion if they want to credit the forked coin to you and if the site was ever hacked you would lose all your coins.  Like others have said the smart play for everyone is to store there coins on a hardware wallett Nano Ledger or Trezor. You control the private keys so you can keep your coins completely safe this way and benefit from all the forked coins. Anyone who tells you different is wrong and doesnt understand how the technology works.

Good evening Conor, good to see you here.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:04 PM »

You said the "best advice is".   When I read it, I pretty much thought as acegooner did.  The best advice for who?

I said
As has been stated many times in this thread, the best advice is tokeep your coins in a hardware wallet.
.  In response to acegooner talking about coinbase and the dangers of holding coins there.

"The best advice is to keep your coins in a hardware wallet" is for someone who holds bitcoin/ethereum etc.  I don't think that is really debateable.

I say advice, you say advice.  I just said I read it as he did. 

Anyway, maybe you won't have to worry about where to keep them soon.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 18, 2018, 01:52:35 AM »

When you hold your coins on coinbase you dont control the private keys so its at their discretion if they want to credit the forked coin to you and if the site was ever hacked you would lose all your coins.  Like others have said the smart play for everyone is to store there coins on a hardware wallett Nano Ledger or Trezor. You control the private keys so you can keep your coins completely safe this way and benefit from all the forked coins. Anyone who tells you different is wrong and doesnt understand how the technology works.

100% true!

Crypto is fun, most fun about it is seeing anyone try to convince anyone else anyone has a fucking clue whats going to happen Cheesy

acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 18, 2018, 06:08:02 AM »

100% true!

Crypto is fun, most fun about it is seeing anyone try to convince anyone else anyone has a fucking clue whats going to happen Cheesy

God this is hard work, whether you store a coin in a hard wallet or leave it on the exchange you are still not addressing the original query. All you have done is say what you would do, without consideration for the original posters circumstances or requirements.

He may have money in a SIPP that he wants to use to gain an exposure /track either BTC and /or ETH. He may want to invest new money in a SIPP with a view to planning for retirement. You don't know that, you have barged in offering a solution that suits someone like your circumstances because you cannot see any other way. That's the problem with the crypto currency space, people are offering  non specific advice when really they should be asking more questions.

You talk about risk, the biggest risk anyone takes investing in crypto currencies is by a mile investment risk without consideration for other asset classes.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »

Bitcoin continues rapid slide as Russia and China stoke regulatory fears

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/17/bitcoin-continues-slide-drop-russia-china-regulatory-fears-cryptocurrency?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1516199840

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 18, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »

Bitcoin speculative bubble is bursting and has a long way to fall, economists warn

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/18/bitcoin-speculative-bubble-bursting-long-way-to-fall-economists-warn?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews#link_time=1516261400

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 18, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »

100% true!

God this is hard work, whether you store a coin in a hard wallet or leave it on the exchange you are still not addressing the original query. All you have done is say what you would do, without consideration for the original posters circumstances or requirements.

He may have money in a SIPP that he wants to use to gain an exposure /track either BTC and /or ETH. He may want to invest new money in a SIPP with a view to planning for retirement. You don't know that, you have barged in offering a solution that suits someone like your circumstances because you cannot see any other way. That's the problem with the crypto currency space, people are offering  non specific advice when really they should be asking more questions.

You talk about risk, the biggest risk anyone takes investing in crypto currencies is by a mile investment risk without consideration for other asset classes.

I have no idea really what you mean, if you need any coins on an exchange to leverage positions or if you dont have a wallet for it otherwise then obviousl you have to leave it there, risks are real and it's another one of my risks you have to factor in if you're going to be involved in this manic industry.

HOWEVER, if you have some bitcoin and you're simply holding them for the moment it's not really any debate about the fact its much safer on a hardware wallet than an exchange, unless i've confused the point somewhere.

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 19, 2018, 12:12:25 AM »

https://imgur.com/a/PSN3i

cant embed, used image tags and removed s from https but nothing worked. Fun few days.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
RobM

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 19, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »

Interested to know people's thoughts on Tether..

As relatively new to the space I've been trying to soak up as much info as I can as I go along, but having started on coinbase that deals in actual fiat, this is the first i'd come across It..in the past few days when new huge batches were being printed in line with the dip and this was being discussed on twitter. I don't hold any or use it for transactions but concerned r.e it's impact at the forefront of some of the most liquid exchanges.

With a clear Ponzi such as Bitconnect unravelling as expected, you'd have been foolish to invest there after any kind of research, but I'm now wondering if these big exchanges are using their power in a different fashion but for similar potential consequences which could put the whole crypto space to a crash at any time. Does it need a crash where all these risks are flushed out in order to reset afresh and move forward? I say this as someone who purchased near the top, traded a bit, diversified into alts a bit via Binance and am currently hodling what I want to be a long term investment - just without the Whiskey!

I've seen the Tether issue referred to as an 'open secret' but not seen it discussed here..

Am I looking at this wrong - Are they taking it upon themselves as governors employing quantitative easing to assist the market? Is it the equivalent of good ole national debt where it doesn't matter how many times they put names to the same supply as we know that it's 'never' going to pop!? Are they genuinely creating and burning the stuff to ensure they track to the dollar and actual transactions taking place?. The IOTA story on the opening Reddit statement below makes me sceptical along with the disclaimers on the Tether website.

Do you think an audit would prove it's legit? Do you think people who touch usdt are being robbed in plain sight? Do you think it's driving price upwards but as nobody 'yet' has lost their money (due to Tether directly), it's therefore all ok and maybe even a positive? Am I talking complete b***? just being caught in a propoganda chain ?- I'm not very bright so I rely on you guys to keep me grounded! Sorry for all the questions.

This article explains this better than I could and it's not an isolated discussion so assume is one of many threads on the subject..

https://medium.com/@bradfrankel16/why-a-tether-audit-would-ruin-bitcoin-96da091cc154

Found within this Reddit which I confess I haven't read much of yet so may answer some of my questions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/6y8c3m/tether_has_the_potential_to_bring_down_the_entire/

Twitter account discussing with more insight including discussion of bots manipulating the price of BTC via the same exchange where Tether originates.:

@TN

You can also watch how much new Tether is entering the system on this twitter handle:

@TetherPrinter

SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:23 AM »

SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:53 AM »

Interested to know people's thoughts on Tether..

I think its clearly a bit dodgy, they stopped the auditing from what I read and the question needs to be asked.

However ultimately, at the moment, when the total crypto market cap is £400bn and tether market cap is £1bn (at the time of writing) then it's perhaps not quite as big a deal as its made out to be - yet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:55:53 AM by SuperJez » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 19, 2018, 10:05:54 AM »

https://imgur.com/a/PSN3i

cant embed, used image tags and removed s from https but nothing worked. Fun few days.

Is this it, Adam?

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 19, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »

I've avoided any Polk videos until now because I couldn't bring myself to listen to someone advocating crypto who is so new to the scene. However, this video nails some absolutely great points and he covers more about how crypto is being debated. He's also quite funny imo.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »

Agreed, Polk didn't sound like a complete idiot

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 ... 88 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: