blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Online late entries
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Online late entries  (Read 2465 times)
T8MML

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

Apologies if this has been debated elsewhere!

I rarely play online these days but logged in for a couple of MTT's last night on Party Poker and saw they were now allowing late entry for 15 levels.

Is this good for the game or just another online operator grabbing as much money as they can out of the poker community with minimal interest in the overall effect of the game in general? Surely the effects on ill judged guarantees are minimal and more players are dissuaded to play rather than enter that late. Without some sort of player survey I guess it would be hard to prove one way or the other, just my gut feeling.

Thoughts?

if the snow is yellow - don't eat it!
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »

IMO that amount of levels for late regging has ruined some of the games and that coming from someone who regularly late regs games.
I think it was Dan Carter who posted a while back saying that some promo was basically just late regging everything last minute and hoping to survive until the bubble bursts.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »

Yeah there's a similar promo now which isn't
As late reg advantageous as the previous but still
Requires it. Guess just adapt to it a 10bb late entrant
Is the same as a guy who has 10bb left but there's
An extra buy in in the pool.
T8MML

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Yeah there's a similar promo now which isn't
As late reg advantageous as the previous but still
Requires it. Guess just adapt to it a 10bb late entrant
Is the same as a guy who has 10bb left but there's
An extra buy in in the pool.

In your opinion mate - good bad or indifferent as a player?

if the snow is yellow - don't eat it!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »

It is probably very detrimental to O8.

Because short stacks are worth significantly more than their chip value, a significant proportion of people don't join until late.  So you play for a couple of hours and then flip for stacks vs somebody who has joined 5 minutes previously (It is 4 hours or so in the 320 game).  Suspect this is really annoying for your average rec, it grates with me and I understand the situation.  It also means that when the game starts, few want to be one of the starters.  If you are one of the 3 starters, you can end up playing 3 handed vs 2 good aggro players for an hour.  Recently I found this happened to me at 2 O8 tables simultaneously.  I let one go as it was too difficult with multiple tables on the side.  The other 2 then pretty much immediately flipped for first prize.  Of course the site suffers because of this behaviour and the $50 O8 8.30 game is no more.   But this kind of thing was always a risk from these long late reg periods, and those are under the control of the site. 

I often late reg because I am putting the kids to bed or similar, but please just limit it to an hour or so.  4 hour late reg and comps that go on well in to the morning aren't ever going to be in the interest of the recs, but if you ask poker pros to advise on structures, then you were always unlikely to get an answer that favoured anybody else.  Even if some recs may be able to shortstack near perfectly using apps, then I still don't think it makes for an enjoyable experience for them or anybody else in the game.  Just as intelligent shortstackers ruined cash games, they are now spoiling tournaments.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »

easy way to solve it is to give 5 or 10% bonus chips to people who play from the start. What do people think about that?
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »

easy way to solve it is to give 5 or 10% bonus chips to people who play from the start. What do people think about that?

why would sites do this, the late reg benefits them
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »

why would sites do this, the late reg benefits them

except when they don't get enough people to start the tournament and it gets cancelled so they lose all of the rake altogether.

I'd also say it would benefit them if it was a re-entry. Encourage more people to play from the start, so there is more time for them to re-enter!
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »

Or just reduce the late reg period?

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: