blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  What's the most unpopular benign opinion you hold?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the most unpopular benign opinion you hold?  (Read 27464 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »

women comedians are not funny.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »

women comedians are not funny.

Would have normally +1'd this but went to comedy store the other night and saw one of the best 15 min stand up acts ive seen in agggges from an Australian women.

So if you're prepared to adjust your opinion to "most" women comdeians are not funny then I'm on board.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »

All 14 year old girls should be given a 5 year contraceptive injection.

I know some 15-19yr old boys who'd disagree with that! Wouldn't actually have made a difference to me, would have just saved me some time Tongue I'm long past 19yr old girls (or rather they're long past me) so don't give a fuck about this until I have a 14yr old daughter, in which case I'll be massively on board I've no doubt.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 01:08:30 PM »

Reality shows are a primary reason for our ongoing social breakdown.

Want to hear more about this theory because I would not take much persuading on it.
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »

My bad, just googled definition of benign, sorry to anyone I upset.  Can I change kill to Murder then pretty happy to go😀
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

Want to hear more about this theory because I would not take much persuading on it.

Actually this made me think of one of mine, which is that overall social media does more harm than good for society.
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »

MPs and top tier civil servants are paid far, far too little and the reason why the political system in this country is such a state.  We have either career politicians like Corbyn and Abbott, or former Eton schoolboys who decided to give it a go after reaching the peak in the private sector and have money/connections behind them so they can afford to take a huge pay cut - which results in both sides being ultimately out of touch.

Make it 500k a year, no second jobs and and also completely do away with the expenses system except for absolute essentials like travel (non of this paying for a mortgage on a second home or covering the cost of decorating a living room).

OFC the average man on the street would never get behind this.

Most of the BBC talent seemed underpaid, especially when you consider all of them have agents who take 10-15%.  The only ones which stood out were the MOTD team, a programme that wouldn't have any real decrease in viewers if it was hosted by Tikay.  In fact bring back the Orford and Kendall dream team please.

Smartphones should only be allowed for over 16s, under that age and you have a Nokia 3310 or equivalent.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:06:52 PM by scotty77 » Logged
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »

MPs and top tier civil servants are paid far, far too little and the reason why the political system in this country is such a state.  We have either career politicians like Corbyn and Abbott, or former Eton schoolboys who decided to give it a go after reaching the peak in the private sector and have money/connections behind them so they can afford to take a huge pay cut - which results in both sides being ultimately out of touch.

Make it 500k a year, no second jobs and and also completely do away with the expenses system except for absolute essentials like travel (non of this paying for a mortgage on a second home or covering the cost of decorating a living room).

Not sure about 500k but agree with what you are saying.

Look at the US President job, $400,000 a year to be the most powerful person in the world? There is no wonder they all take bungs from campaign donors.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »

Not sure about 500k but agree with what you are saying.

Look at the US President job, $400,000 a year to be the most powerful person in the world? There is no wonder they all take bungs from campaign donors.

yeh, madness isn't it.  You make decisions that have multi-billion dollar impacts and you only get $400k, it's like asking the £7.90 store clark to give a fuck when someone steals £30 worth of stuff

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »

I watched the very first Big Brother. It was ground breaking and very interesting viewing. But this was before the producers started manipulating the field, and began the process of selecting people that would a) be in conflict with each other or b) would be happy to engage in sexual activity with each other. If the plan wasn't working, c) add alcohol.

This, of course, has spawned all the other so-called reality TV shows. Not that I'm a connoisseur of all these shows, but I think that TOWIE and MIC are probably least damaging, in that they're designed to create drama and humour around alleged everyday lives. The shows that I think do lots of damage (perhaps unintentionally) are the Benefits Cheats/Life on Benefits/Parents Spying on The Kids in Costa del Sol/Big Brother/Love Island etc etc types.

These shows increasingly portray poor behaviour as normal/acceptable: bullying, racism, casual onscreen sex, binge drinking, voyeurism, promiscuity, dishonesty, criminality and greed are all seen to full effect. I'm not saying that these behaviours are being promoted, but they certainly run the risk of normalising them by ongoing exposure. They become less unusual and more "normal". What's really worrying is that it's all designed by the programme producers with the sole aim of increasing viewing by being more outrageous. You could even include The Apprentice, now that I think of it, lol.

in addition theres the suggestion that this is some kind of way to become "a celebrity". Being a celebrity is now seen as a valid career choice, and there's not a lot these people won't consider doing if it means they have a shot. Remember The Word? They had a "I'll do anything to be famous" slot, and people were happy to do the most disgusting things simply to be on TV for all of 5 seconds. No doubt there's a YouTube archive. I've lost count of the number of young people (girls, esp) whose answer to the question "What do you want to be?" is "A celebrity".
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »

I watched the very first Big Brother. It was ground breaking and very interesting viewing. But this was before the producers started manipulating the field, and began the process of selecting people that would a) be in conflict with each other or b) would be happy to engage in sexual activity with each other. If the plan wasn't working, c) add alcohol.

This, of course, has spawned all the other so-called reality TV shows. Not that I'm a connoisseur of all these shows, but I think that TOWIE and MIC are probably least damaging, in that they're designed to create drama and humour around alleged everyday lives. The shows that I think do lots of damage (perhaps unintentionally) are the Benefits Cheats/Life on Benefits/Parents Spying on The Kids in Costa del Sol/Big Brother/Love Island etc etc types.

These shows increasingly portray poor behaviour as normal/acceptable: bullying, racism, casual onscreen sex, binge drinking, voyeurism, promiscuity, dishonesty, criminality and greed are all seen to full effect. I'm not saying that these behaviours are being promoted, but they certainly run the risk of normalising them by ongoing exposure. They become less unusual and more "normal". What's really worrying is that it's all designed by the programme producers with the sole aim of increasing viewing by being more outrageous. You could even include The Apprentice, now that I think of it, lol.

in addition theres the suggestion that this is some kind of way to become "a celebrity". Being a celebrity is now seen as a valid career choice, and there's not a lot these people won't consider doing if it means they have a shot. Remember The Word? They had a "I'll do anything to be famous" slot, and people were happy to do the most disgusting things simply to be on TV for all of 5 seconds. No doubt there's a YouTube archive. I've lost count of the number of young people (girls, esp) whose answer to the question "What do you want to be?" is "A celebrity".

I agree on the lot

I read this book earlier this year and it puts a lot of research to the things you've arrived at already, worth a read if you like that sort of thing (It was also written before Miley Cyrus became a 'bad girl' and before Amy Winehouse died, and he pretty much predicts both).

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »

I agree on the lot

I read this book earlier this year and it puts a lot of research to the things you've arrived at already, worth a read if you like that sort of thing (It was also written before Miley Cyrus became a 'bad girl' and before Amy Winehouse died, and he pretty much predicts both).

That would be a book written by a celebrity narcissist?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »

I agree on the lot

Yes
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »

I agree on the lot

Yes

Facebook us full of narcissists; twitter is worse; most of us here are in our own way.  The gap between us and "celebrities" is getting smaller.  This seems a good thing to me.  I don't watch any of the programs mentioned, so they can't be at fault for my small scale narcissism.  People always wanted to be liked.

Neither of my two want to be a celebrity.  I am not sure many more want to be famous than they ever did.  There is just much more opportunity these days.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

Just for the record; wanting instant fame & fortune (for min effort) through becoming a celebrity was only a part of my post.

The normalisation of bad behaviour and personality traits through constant exposure is far more worrying. I don't suggest for a second that people start watching all this stuff but you really need to see some of it to understand fully the point. I have two daughters who watched rather more than I liked, and they've turned out fine - even if they do still watch Love Island without fail - so I'm not suggesting that your average, educated viewer will immediately start copycatting, but there's a significant minority who will be tempted.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: