blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  £154,000
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: £154,000  (Read 8295 times)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117793/missing-persons-strategy.pdf

This is an interesting publication. Granted its from 2011 but it shows the average cost of investigation of a missing person is £1,000. The total spend was £500m over 5 years.

There are hundreds of thousands of cases in the UK alone.

It puts into perspective just how much has been spent investigating in one case.

Playing devils advocate, £11 million could have saved many lives in other areas. Maybe some might be outraged at that?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:19:03 AM by RickBFA » Logged
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »

Without any knowledge of what theyre actually working on Id be shocked if the police were truely at a stage where they are inches away from solving the case that they need funds for 6 months to get it done.  From the sounds of it, it seems pretty desperate, like theyve still got some avenues of enquiry but nothing concrete.  If they were so close to solving it then surely they would make a statement to that effect to raise public interest.

Agree with the point made earlier too, after this long Id just be shocked if she is still alive.  Especially with the big campaign to find her, the culprit would have to be so confident that they didnt leave any evidence to keep her alive and not dispose of the body.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »

Without any knowledge of what theyre actually working on Id be shocked if the police were truely at a stage where they are inches away from solving the case that they need funds for 6 months to get it done.  From the sounds of it, it seems pretty desperate, like theyve still got some avenues of enquiry but nothing concrete.  If they were so close to solving it then surely they would make a statement to that effect to raise public interest.

Agree with the point made earlier too, after this long Id just be shocked if she is still alive.  Especially with the big campaign to find her, the culprit would have to be so confident that they didnt leave any evidence to keep her alive and not dispose of the body.

I'd be very surprised if she is still alive.

But whoever took her/killed her needs catching.

I can't believe how much apathy about the fact a murdering paedophile is possibly to blame for this and no one seems to care much.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »

The question for me is:

Was this some of money spent by the police because of the strength of the leads the police had at the time and any leads they have now

or

was it spend because the case caught public interest and was carried so strongly by the media

Are they announcing this extra fund to get to a place where they can stop the search

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »

that apathy is,imo

distaste for the parents actions on the night and (not condoning this) the a widespread view that the parents were culpable if not responsible (and some think they did it)

distaste for the book deals, appointing BBC correspondents as PR agents etc

concern at the £11-15m (depending what you read) spent on the investigation

time lapsed since disappearance

however unfair that is.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »

The question for me is:

Was this some of money spent by the police because of the strength of the leads the police had at the time and any leads they have now

or

was it spend because the case caught public interest and was carried so strongly by the media

Are they announcing this extra fund to get to a place where they can stop the search

Spot on......the latter imo. The McCanns were very savvy in keeping this case in the public eye. It hit a sweet spot with the media too, middle class doctors, cute blonde daughter etc....
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »

that apathy is,imo

distaste for the parents actions on the night and (not condoning this) the a widespread view that the parents were culpable if not responsible (and some think they did it)

however unfair that is.

If any parent lost a child they would do anything to get them back. Or at the very least find out what has happened to them.

Everything the McCann's have done they've judged makes it more likely for them to find out what happened.

So many heartless fuckers around, I hope they never suffer the unspeakable agony of losing a child.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »

that apathy is,imo

however unfair that is.

If any parent lost a child they would do anything to get them back. Or at the very least find out what has happened to them.

Everything the McCann's have done they've judged makes it more likely for them to find out what happened.

So many heartless fuckers around, I hope they never suffer the unspeakable agony of losing a child.

Ofcourse the McCann's must do everything possible, its a parents worst nightmare.

Probably even worse for them as privately they must blame themselves. That would tip many people over the edge.

I don't think its apathy - the authorities have spent a lot of time and money but there comes a point (I'm not being heartless just realistic and pragmatic) where the money is better spent elsewhere, finding others/saving lives etc
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »

I can't believe how much apathy about the fact a murdering paedophile is possibly to blame for this and no one seems to care much.

Let's accept there is a murdering paedophile getting away with this.. even if we don't know that. Everyone cares, but everyone except a complete nutter recognises if he's got away with it this long then he'll probably get away with it whether you spend £11m , £11,154,000, £12m or £13m so it is an obvious waste of resources.

We personalise cases like this for what reason I can't imagine. If we're apathetic, it's about things like the lack of resources deployed to kill stone dead things like, organised grooming gangs, modern slavery, human trafficking, all damaging more lives under our noses than a paedophile in Portugal and much easier to track and do something about.

sola virtus nobilitat
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »

In cases like this, it is very much a case of 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease'. If the Mail/Sun/Express keep running the stories then the police will keep spending the money as that potential 'bad story' (wasting money) is a better bad story than 'HEARTLESS COPS ABANDON OUR POOR MADDIE'.

The McCanns are entirely right to do whatever they can to keep the story going because as soon as the stories stop, the investigation stops.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »

In cases like this, it is very much a case of 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease'. If the Mail/Sun/Express keep running the stories then the police will keep spending the money as that potential 'bad story' (wasting money) is a better bad story than 'HEARTLESS COPS ABANDON OUR POOR MADDIE'.

The McCanns are entirely right to do whatever they can to keep the story going because as soon as the stories stop, the investigation stops.

Wise words, good brevity too

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »

It must be horrific to losing a child like this, I don't think it's possible to imagine the pain.

A line has to be draw at some point though.

You do wonder why we have chosen to spend £11 million on one case when hundreds of others get no resources or time.

Surely the best people to decide when to draw that line is the police?

They obviously feel there are further lines worth persuing.

While there are leads that haven't been fully explored, the money should be provided.

What are the chances of anything coming of further investigation though?  It's such a high profile case that, in the event that she wasn't killed at the time or shortly after, then whoever she ended up with will have killed her and disposed of every bit of evidence already to avoid being caught further down the line. Failing that, dying from illness or suicide as a result of her living conditions and probable treatment is also quite likely, and equally, the body will have been disposed of a long time ago if the kidnapper has any brains.

"The best people to decide when to draw that line are the police" - I would argue they're not at this point, given the high profile nature of the case they'll be biased towards solving the case irrespective of cost, purely out of pride. There's more than just the police clamouring for taxpayers' money and they need money for more than one case. If we gave money to everyone on the basis that they get to decide where to draw the line, it just wouldn't be possible to give everyone what they want, or even close to it.

I'd rather see £154k shipped to the NHS (No bus required), or chuck £154k at some crime prevention scheme that benefits more people in the future, or another case with a better prognosis, rather than trying to find one person with a minuscule chance of being alive where the most likely outcome is wasting £154k and going nowhere, and where the most likely 'positive' outcome is confirming Madeleine is dead, and even that is highly unlikely. At this point, it's like calling to try and hit a backdoor straight flush, two hands in a row, once to find her and again for her to be alive.

There's just better uses of money, IMO.

---

In the absolute best case scenario - What if she's been trafficked to some other country, and she is alive and well and being looked after?
- She likely won't remember her biological parents
- She is unlikely to speak much English
- She is likely to have a good relationship with her adoptive family
- It would be traumatic to remove her from her adoptive family, especially as she is unlikely to understand
- It is questionable whether she would want a relationship with her biological parents, given their failure to ensure her safety

Would it even be the right thing to take her out of that environment and return her to the UK in that scenario?

Excellent post, imo.

Ditto the Post by RickBFA.

Fair or otherwise, at some point a line has to be drawn.

Do the Police make this much effort in every case of missing children?

Why has there got to be a line drawn?

There is very possibily a very dangerous paedophile on the loose in the area where Maddie disappeared

Are you going to explain to parents of the next child abducted that the police were working to catch the criminal but "the line had to be drawn" and funding was withdrawn.

Camel, we don't live in a perfect world where we can put almost unlimited funding into every case.

Don't the Portuguese have a responsibility in that regard if there is a paedophile at loose in their country?

No one can say that the investigation hasn't been more than well funded.

We don't have an endless supply of funds. We have funded this case to the tune of £11m. Given the number of children that disappear, don't you agree this case has been given an unusual level of manpower and funding compared to others?

Yes of course I do.

But it is down the police to decide when and if they stop investigating not the media or the public.

They must have a reason they need extra funding.

It was down to the police to tell us what went wrong at Hillsborough. Perhaps it's just as well we didn't leave them to it and say "They must know what they're doing"

The older I get, the better I was.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »

At what point would you stop trying to catch him? What limit would you set to spending on one case? It cannot be that there is no limit.

I often hear people saying that there should be no limit on spending for several things - various aspects of education, healthcare, policing, etc. They also say things like "one case is too many" regarding paedophilia, abuse, some illnesses and so on. This is clearly nonsense. We don't have unlimited funds and we cannot pour all our resources into a single issue, so we satisfice and ration them out. The hard truth is that we make a decision to accept a certain level of all these terrible crimes, diseases, etc, as additional amounts continue to produce declining benefit for each extra pound spent. Not only do we ration out our funds between hard cases, but we reserve some amounts from them entirely and spend them on 'frivalous' activities, as the benefits to general society from that are deemed to be worth more than the marginal benefit of spending still more on the hard cases.

Just because there is a paedophile on the loose doesn't mean we would bankrupt ourselves to find him. There are many other paedophiles and many other calls for our funds. So when would you stop spending on one case? And 'never' is not an option.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »

At what point would you stop trying to catch him? What limit would you set to spending on one case? It cannot be that there is no limit.

I often hear people saying that there should be no limit on spending for several things - various aspects of education, healthcare, policing, etc. They also say things like "one case is too many" regarding paedophilia, abuse, some illnesses and so on. This is clearly nonsense. We don't have unlimited funds and we cannot pour all our resources into a single issue, so we satisfice and ration them out. The hard truth is that we make a decision to accept a certain level of all these terrible crimes, diseases, etc, as additional amounts continue to produce declining benefit for each extra pound spent. Not only do we ration out our funds between hard cases, but we reserve some amounts from them entirely and spend them on 'frivalous' activities, as the benefits to general society from that are deemed to be worth more than the marginal benefit of spending still more on the hard cases.

Just because there is a paedophile on the loose doesn't mean we would bankrupt ourselves to find him. There are many other paedophiles and many other calls for our funds. So when would you stop spending on one case? And 'never' is not an option.

It's very simple. I would stop spending when the police officer in charge of the case says, "We have exhausted all avenues of inquiry. Unless new evidence comes to light I think the case should be closed".

We don't listen to experts enough any more.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 11:13:27 PM »

Unless the authorities are on the brink of a breakthrough, it looks like its gonna be £154k down the toilet. If £11m and many years hasn't unearthed any decent leads, not sure what they hope to achieve with £154k in 6 months.

As sad as it is, you just gotta close the curtains at some point.

The Claudia Lawrence case has been pretty similar; middle class, her father had a very respectable job (escapes me now but maybe a lawyer or similar), they've done plenty to try and keep the case in the public eye despite the lack of leads or fresh evidence. Earlier this year the police said they were 'scaling down' the operation. Not sure what else they can really do, and ditto for the people in charge of the hunt for Maddie.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: