blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:07:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Community Service
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Community Service  (Read 4549 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »

Many years ago I did 100 hours community service. They put me to work in an Oxfam shop 3 days a week.

On the first day, the manageress set me on sorting clothes in the back room, on the second day I was in the shop proper labelling and hanging fresh stock and taking old stock down.

By the third day she had me pricing stuff up and working on the till.

On the second week she gave me the keys and asked me to open up the next day because she wouldn't be there until lunch time.

A couple of days later she said she wouldn't be in at all and to make sure I removed the takings from the till, counted them properly, put a note in the till and leave it open, and transfer the takings to the safe, for which I also had a key.

For the rest of my time there I was pretty much left in charge, with the the manageress popping in occasionally.

They had a policy of displaying stuff for a certain period and then chucking it in the rag man's pile if it hadn't sold. Oxfam don't accept offers, you pay the price on the label or you leave it where it is.

When I was in charge I put labels of good items saying things like 'These shoes are £70 in Clarkes, grab a bargain for a tenner' and I accepted any offer on stuff that was due to be thrown out in the next couple of days. It's amazing how much stuff you can sell if you cross out £5 and replace it with 'Now only £2'.

The manageress was thrilled to see the taking up by more than 50% but when I left she just went back to doing stuff the old way because it was company policy.

I bet it wasn't company policy to stay at home and leave a convict in charge of the shop.

The older I get, the better I was.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »

thats a pretty fascinating story Tom Tongue

Brilliant!

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »

thats a pretty fascinating story Tom Tongue

Brilliant!

+1

Enjoyed that, thanks.

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »

I also had a punishment of 100 hours community service when i was young and foolish.

I had to attend a disused Railway Station about 12 miles away every Thursday.Half of the naughty people were set to work sanding down old chairs for the Salvation Army,whilst the other half were set to work repairing old fibreglass canoes.

It transpired that the man in charge of us was an alcoholic and at about 10 am he would wander off to a nearby pub where he would remain until our duties finished at 4pm.

Whilst he was absent ,the majority of us would wander into town and spend the day in a cafe playing the pinball machines and fruitys.The remainder could be found in the canoe room where they seemed to run out of solvents fairly regularly.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »

Many years ago I did 100 hours community service. They put me to work in an Oxfam shop 3 days a week.

On the first day, the manageress set me on sorting clothes in the back room, on the second day I was in the shop proper labelling and hanging fresh stock and taking old stock down.

On the second week she gave me the keys and asked me to open up the next day because she wouldn't be there until lunch time.

A couple of days later she said she wouldn't be in at all and to make sure I removed the takings from the till, counted them properly, put a note in the till and leave it open, and transfer the takings to the safe, for which I also had a key.

For the rest of my time there I was pretty much left in charge, with the the manageress popping in occasionally.

They had a policy of displaying stuff for a certain period and then chucking it in the rag man's pile if it hadn't sold. Oxfam don't accept offers, you pay the price on the label or you leave it where it is.

When I was in charge I put labels of good items saying things like 'These shoes are £70 in Clarkes, grab a bargain for a tenner' and I accepted any offer on stuff that was due to be thrown out in the next couple of days. It's amazing how much stuff you can sell if you cross out £5 and replace it with 'Now only £2'.

The manageress was thrilled to see the taking up by more than 50% but when I left she just went back to doing stuff the old way because it was company policy.

I bet it wasn't company policy to stay at home and leave a convict in charge of the shop.

so wanted a different ending. But great story anyway. Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »

Loved those tales from Red Dog & Boo Dog. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »

Given that Tom got 100 hours for doing something naughty when he was younger, makes you wonder what hideous crime he went on to commit to deserve this long sentence.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »

What a great tale, but sort of backs up my question in the first place.

What did this benefit the community apart from allowing some flaky woman some extra time off? What will Mr Rooney be doing that will so benefit the community, and based on the two stories posted, will he spend much time actually doing anything or just be hero worshipped from the other Servees, whilst chatting up  to grannies and drinking powerade for 100 hours?

You are also a decent bloke Tom, so would expect nothing less from you, wp.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

What a great tale, but sort of backs up my question in the first place.

What did this benefit the community apart from allowing some flaky woman some extra time off? What will Mr Rooney be doing that will so benefit the community, and based on the two stories posted, will he spend much time actually doing anything or just be hero worshipped from the other Servees, whilst chatting up  to grannies and drinking powerade for 100 hours?

You are also a decent bloke Tom, so would expect nothing less from you, wp.

Thank you.

I'm an honest criminal.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: