blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Corporate Disillusionment – Life Advice Needed
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Corporate Disillusionment – Life Advice Needed  (Read 7997 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »

I turn 30 in 2 weeks time and have spent 8 years, since graduation, working in the corporate world. 3 years in purchasing and 5 years in marketing. Have relocated twice for work and think have done reasonably well in terms of career progression. Studied Business Studies at University and ambition has always been the £100K+ board level role. Am a long way away from that.

In the last 6-12 months, have felt a growing lack of motivation, not just company or role related, but generally with working in the private sector. Working in a world where, fundamentally, a large group of people work long hours for a comparatively small amount of money – all to make a small group of people a comparatively large amount of money.

I don’t have a mortgage or children yet but both are incoming in next 3 years. Feels like I am at a crossroads and won't have the luxuary to think about this in 3 years time.

Answers on a postcard, how do I add meaning to my life without compromising my ability to buy a house and look after a family?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »

Work for yourself.  Take the plunge. I felt exactly the same at your age. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:40:23 PM by arbboy » Logged
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »

Work for yourself.  Take the plunge. I felt exactly the same at your age. 

Working for yourself is great, but I'd suggest getting the house sorted before you quit! 

Take a few nice holidays?  Get a motorbike?  Something else outside work to make you realise how good life is?   Ask about a promotion or are there other sectors you could move into?

On the plus side, you've only got about 30 more years to go Cheesy

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »

Won't meeting the woman of your dreams, buying a house and starting a family provide meaning to your life?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »

Won't meeting the woman of your dreams, buying a house and starting a family provide meaning to your life?

They will / already do.

It's those other 40+ hours a week. I started volunteering as a school governor a couple of years ago and now chair the governing body. I get more enjoyment from those hours than anything else work related.

I would love to work for myself but am naturally risk averse and not sure mentally strong enough. I suspect it's just one of those suck it up and get on with it situations. Other options include becoming a teacher or sacking it all off and going to live in the woods.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »

If you're thinking of teaching then now would be a good time - lots of £26k bursaries around for lots of subjects, so finances shouldn't be a huge problem.
getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview

EDIT: forgot to add, it's also a good time because if you try and it doesn't work out you've still got enough time to establish another career before you retire.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:40:48 PM by Jon MW » Logged

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

Hey Mate,

Feel your pain, I'm 1 year younger and was feeling exactly like you described - at a crossroads - about 1 yr ago, it's very depressing and kinda lonely so it's great you're asking people advice and talking to people about it.

I've always worked for myself, I always thought of corporate life just as you described it, I know guys who just absolutely crush it in that life though and big respect to them, I am sure I would really struggle. On the other hand self employed defo isn't for everyone, you carry the stresses and pressures of what you're doing with you everywhere, you never really get an evening off let alone a day off and you're never able to not check your phone for 1 hour, no security either you're always just 1 bad month, or 1 big disaster away from not being able to pay the bills.

I think the main reason people who say they'd really like to go self employed, dont do it, is because i) when they think about it, the above reason just isn't for them (and that's nothing to be ashamed off, that's just who you are) and ii) because the opportunity isn't there - like you said its a lot harder to take a big risk when you've got 2 young kids and a mortgage.

Having said all that, if you're feeling disillusioned with life and think you can handle it, then I would say absolutely go for it - working for yourself is the absolute best, I love it and it would take obscene amounts of money to make me work for someone else. From what you said about corp life sounds like you're ready for a change and I'd not be surprised if you crushed it, gogogogogogo! 

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »

If you're thinking of teaching then now would be a good time - lots of £26k bursaries around for lots of subjects, so finances shouldn't be a huge problem.
getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview

EDIT: forgot to add, it's also a good time because if you try and it doesn't work out you've still got enough time to establish another career before you retire.

My dad sat me down and said he never wanted me to be a teacher. He was a maths teacher and got to deputy head level in his career before retiring 5 years ago. I think I would have ended up following that path if it wasn't for his advice. He basically wanted to see me make good money rather than struggle along as a teacher. Moving to teaching would mean taking a big pay cut initially, just not sure I could stomach that even if it made me happier.

Hey Mate,

Feel your pain, I'm 1 year younger and was feeling exactly like you described - at a crossroads - about 1 yr ago, it's very depressing and kinda lonely so it's great you're asking people advice and talking to people about it.

I've always worked for myself, I always thought of corporate life just as you described it, I know guys who just absolutely crush it in that life though and big respect to them, I am sure I would really struggle. On the other hand self employed defo isn't for everyone, you carry the stresses and pressures of what you're doing with you everywhere, you never really get an evening off let alone a day off and you're never able to not check your phone for 1 hour, no security either you're always just 1 bad month, or 1 big disaster away from not being able to pay the bills.

I think the main reason people who say they'd really like to go self employed, dont do it, is because i) when they think about it, the above reason just isn't for them (and that's nothing to be ashamed off, that's just who you are) and ii) because the opportunity isn't there - like you said its a lot harder to take a big risk when you've got 2 young kids and a mortgage.

Having said all that, if you're feeling disillusioned with life and think you can handle it, then I would say absolutely go for it - working for yourself is the absolute best, I love it and it would take obscene amounts of money to make me work for someone else. From what you said about corp life sounds like you're ready for a change and I'd not be surprised if you crushed it, gogogogogogo! 

Thank you. Perhaps I need to give branching out alone some real thought. There has been the odd opportunity in the past but all have required significant investment upfront. I have never really given it more than a cursory thought though and know there is a lot of help out there for that sort of thing.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »

I think whilst the £100k mark for people in the corporate game is an ambitious goal its not very realistic by the time you are 30. Probably less than 5% of people will be getting that, even less for the under 30’s.

You also gotta do your time mate, the guys I know earning that sort of coin in the corporate game are almost exclusively 40+. There is also a huge bottleneck for the big jobs, hence the need to do your time, demonstrate you are good enough and worthy over a long period of time versus your peers.

One word of warning though, the more money you earn=the more bullshit you have to deal with. I had a great life up until 4 years ago, earned decent coin and had a relatively easy life. Moved up the greasy pole, got a lot more money but also 10x more shit. I don’t even know which direction the shit is coming from some days I’m so plastered in it. I’ll tolerate it for now for a few years to get a few quid in the bank, but I’ll definitely slide back down the pole in a few years to the easier life.

If you are earning enough for a decent life less=more imo.....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:39:20 PM by Woodsey » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »

I think whilst the £100k mark for people in the corporate game is an ambitious goal its not very realistic by the time you are 30. Probably less than 5% of people will be getting that, even less for the under 30’s.

You also gotta do your time mate, the guys I know earning that sort of coin in the corporate game are almost exclusively 40+. There is also a huge bottleneck for the big jobs, hence the need to do your time, demonstrate you are good enough and worthy over a long period of time versus your peers.

One word of warning though, the more money you earn=the more bullshit you have to deal with. I had a great life up until 4 years ago, earned decent coin and had a relatively easy life. Moved up the greasy pole, got a lot more money but also 10x more shit. I don’t even know which direction the shit is coming from some days I’m so plastered in it. I’ll tolerate it for now for a few years to get a few quid in the bank, but I’ll definitely slide back down the pole in a few years to the easier life.

Haha, gave me a good laugh:-)

sola virtus nobilitat
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:13:47 PM »

double edged sword for working for yourself - at the start you have to take any shit plastering on offer because turning work down is not an option, as time goes by if you get a little more successful you cant select the shit plasterings you want in advance based on how you're getting paid for them Smiley

Hilarious expression too! <3 Woodsey, gotta have some stone to throw shit at you I'd have thought.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:26:18 PM »

Hilarious expression too! <3 Woodsey, gotta have some stone to throw shit at you I'd have thought.

Shit = managing people who think they are awesome but at best are average, also demanding princesses who think their shit don’t stink!  They are all aspiring for that 100k job   Add to that general blur of work thrown at me, I don’t even know where my arse and elbows are most days to even have a calibration!!  
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »

you considered meditating? Smiley

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »

Have you seen the size of my gut? I can barely cross my legs 
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:44 PM »

Have you seen the size of my gut? I can barely cross my legs 

Haha, just loved the thought of you telling everyone to shut the fuck up whilst you get your yoga mat out and meditate

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: