blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:38:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176594 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »

A few days ago, Red commented that suddenly, there are a lot of female referees in snooker.

Very true, no idea why the sudden change in policy. We just had Michaela Tabb for many years, then she fell out with the snooker Authorities over sexism or equal opportunities or whatever & resigned.

Now, there are female refs galore.

Got no problem with it all, quite like it in fact, though they had one young lady refereeing a few weeks ago who had a little tiny high-pitched voice, & did not attempt to project her voice. The result was a complete lack of authority in her voice.

Not her fault, of course. The Refereeing association, or whatever they call themselves, just need to give them one session with a voice coach. One session is all it needs. (Remember Lady Thatcher before & after voice coaching).

She doesn't need a voice coach for authority. She is the referee. That's it. Nothing else to be said on the matter. Authority all hers.

Players respect the ref because decisions are considered and sometimes even the product of an adult conversation. She could talk like Larry Grayson, Marilyn Munroe or Brian Blessed and it won't alter her authority an iota of jottage.

It's a lovely sport for discipline.

Quite right.

That's you told, Grumpay Wink

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »

A few days ago, Red commented that suddenly, there are a lot of female referees in snooker.

Very true, no idea why the sudden change in policy. We just had Michaela Tabb for many years, then she fell out with the snooker Authorities over sexism or equal opportunities or whatever & resigned.

Got no problem with it all, quite like it in fact, though they had one young lady refereeing a few weeks ago who had a little tiny high-pitched voice, & did not attempt to project her voice. The result was a complete lack of authority in her voice.

Not her fault, of course. The Refereeing association, or whatever they call themselves, just need to give them one session with a voice coach. One session is all it needs. (Remember Lady Thatcher before & after voice coaching).

She doesn't need a voice coach for authority. She is the referee. That's it. Nothing else to be said on the matter. Authority all hers.

Players respect the ref because decisions are considered and sometimes even the product of an adult conversation.

Yes but they need to announce stuff so that everyone is clear about what's happening.

i.e. player nominates green. Ref calls loudly, "Green ball".

Audience know what's happening, opponent knows what's happening, player striking knows that the ref knows what's happening.

The older I get, the better I was.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »

Players respect the ref because decisions are considered and sometimes even the product of an adult conversation. She could talk like Larry Grayson, Marilyn Munroe or Brian Blessed and it won't alter her authority an iota of jottage.

Quite right.

Sometimes the voice does matter, though.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »

Players respect the ref because decisions are considered and sometimes even the product of an adult conversation.

Yes but they need to announce stuff to that everyone is clear about what's happening.

i.e. player nominates green. Ref calls loudly, "Green ball".

Audience know what's happening, opponent knows what's happening, player striking knows that the ref knows what's happening.

With Barry in charge, that information will be on the big flashing screen soon and there will be the accompanying music and dancing girl to signify it to the audience, who can sing along before the player finishes chalking his cue.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:25 PM »

Anyway, Tony told me to ask why you got me chucked off the tft thread.  Cry

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »

You were promoted to having your own thread. You rightly chose not to put it on your diary, after all, so you knew it deserved separate acclaim.

I'm expecting some snooker bets to appear in TfT in the fullness of time, mind. Some of us have holes to get out of.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »

I was looking for a photo of Michaela and stumbled across this one of me & Big Bill. (that's me on the top)

Click to see full-size image.

Looks like you had considerably less timber in those days Tom.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »

Quite right.

And you can piss right off.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with that Mr Tal. Delivery (of voice) is very important in helping to establish authority.

I do agree as to discipline in snooker generally though. Does anyone know if Judd Trump got fined for his ill-mannered petulance earlier this week?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 06:45:20 PM »

You were promoted to having your own thread. You rightly chose not to put it on your diary, after all, so you knew it deserved separate acclaim.

I'm expecting some snooker bets to appear in TfT in the fullness of time, mind. Some of us have holes to get out of.

I have to admit that I'm a crap tipster. If I think someone is going to win at 5/1 I still think they're going to win at 2/1.
What's not to like?

Does that make me a Cornetto?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »

Quite right.

And you can piss right off.

Cheesy Kiss

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 06:48:07 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with that Mr Tal. Delivery (of voice) is very important in helping to establish authority.

I do agree as to discipline in snooker generally though. Does anyone know if Judd Trump got fined for his ill-mannered petulance earlier this week?

He definitely should be fined. Poor sportsmanship and he is doing a paying audience out of the match they deserve. i.e. one where he tries his best until there is no reasonable possibility of winning.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »

Most of my snooker was played at a former cinema in Nottingham, Lenton Abbey Snooker Club.

It's selling point was the hidden car park round the back, which meant I & others could bunk off work during the day & hide the car round the back, out of sight from the main A52 which went past the front entrance..

I used to park my car on a bit of waste ground behind a school every day while I played a 10/12 hour session. The doors didn't lock so I just left it open.

Nothing was ever touched, I bet you wouldn't get away with that these days.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »

I can't get over the totally disproportionate number of lefties in professional snooker. It must be something like 1/3.

I think If I had been cack-handed I would have made it.

The thing about the lefties that perplexes me is that half of them use the rest as right-hander would.

I've never seen a right-handed player use the rest as a leftie so what is that all about?

I reckon there's something sinister going on..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »

I can't get over the totally disproportionate number of lefties in professional snooker. It must be something like 1/3.

I think If I had been cack-handed I would have made it.

The thing about the lefties that perplexes me is that half of them use the rest as right-hander would.

I've never seen a right-handed player use the rest as a leftie so what is that all about?

I reckon there's something sinister going on..

Perhaps they've been at the port..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: