blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176558 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »

News from the early rounds of the UK Open, (TV coverage starts tomorrow).

Ronnie got through 6-3, but not without quite a fight from Jackson Page, who is described as a "Welsh Schoolboy". Not sure I'm buying "schoolboy", he's got a beard, schoolboys don't have beards. They'll be telling us schoolgirl wear bras next.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »

There was one eye-opening result, though, when Ali Carter, ranked in the Top 16 I believe, was beaten by this 55 year old.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

Also at The Western tonight, & playing in the Private Tourney which James of Sky was hosting, was Neil Foulds, the snooker chappie.

I used to be a bit handy at snooker, & won little comps to play Neil & other visiting Pros from time to time, & I recall Neil beat me, conceding 49 (7 blacks) 104-53. The 4 points I got were because he went in-off......

I first met Neil through his Father, Geoff, at Fishers Snooker Club in Acton. Regulars there for their Friday Night Handicap Tourney included the truant schoolkid Jimmy White, his big mucker Tony Meo, (who sells watches in Covent Garden these days I am told), & an Irish oAmateur, Patsy Fagan. I think Fishers Snooker Club was owned by a bookie by the name of Don (?) Slack, & I vividly recall, purely for her personality, his stunning & pleasantly heavy-topped daughter.

Neil seems to have aged 20 years since we last met, though I guess that was 30 years ago.

He hit the snooker heights in the mid-eighties, & was World No 3 at one stage I seem to recall. But his career was blighted by a medical ailment - a heart problem I believe - which required him to take Beta-Blockers to relax his muscles. This caused a bt of a hoohah - he only took them for a few weeks, & openly declared so, & why he took them, but the Red-Tops got hold of the story, (Snooker was the big thing at the time), twisted it, & accused him of "doing drugs". He never reallly recovered, & he retired early, after which he became a commentator for the Beeb & Sky. He told me tonight that he retired because he no longer had quite the game needed to stay at the top, & he preferred to retire rather than slide into mediocrity. We chatted about old mutual pals - Mike Hallett (still grinding it out I believe), Willie Thorne, Ray Reardon, Patsy Fagan, happy days.

He's quite a pal of Roy Brindley, too, & Neil owns a few Greyhounds I thnk. He does a bit of work for Ladbrokes these days.

He played the Private Sky Tourney with us tonight (he's a pal of Tim Peters), & has a good little game. Down to 4 handed, (only 3 paid) Tim moved all-in, Dr Tom Sambrook did the same, & Neil superbly passed Jacks, & I did the same with KQ suited. Tim had Aces, & Dr Tom had the same hand as me!

I really enjoyed his company, what a nice man.

Stumbled across this post in Tikay's diary from December 2007.

The wild Western, eh? I'll never forget seeing Doyle Brunson there, in support of one of the mega comps they ran in their latter days. Physically, he looked very frail (despite his size), but mentally as sharp as ever, I suspect.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »

Also at The Western tonight, & playing in the Private Tourney which James of Sky was hosting, was Neil Foulds, the snooker chappie.

I used to be a bit handy at snooker, & won little comps to play Neil & other visiting Pros from time to time, & I recall Neil beat me, conceding 49 (7 blacks) 104-53. The 4 points I got were because he went in-off......

I first met Neil through his Father, Geoff, at Fishers Snooker Club in Acton. Regulars there for their Friday Night Handicap Tourney included the truant schoolkid Jimmy White, his big mucker Tony Meo, (who sells watches in Covent Garden these days I am told), & an Irish oAmateur, Patsy Fagan. I think Fishers Snooker Club was owned by a bookie by the name of Don (?) Slack, & I vividly recall, purely for her personality, his stunning & pleasantly heavy-topped daughter.

Neil seems to have aged 20 years since we last met, though I guess that was 30 years ago.

He hit the snooker heights in the mid-eighties, & was World No 3 at one stage I seem to recall. But his career was blighted by a medical ailment - a heart problem I believe - which required him to take Beta-Blockers to relax his muscles. This caused a bt of a hoohah - he only took them for a few weeks, & openly declared so, & why he took them, but the Red-Tops got hold of the story, (Snooker was the big thing at the time), twisted it, & accused him of "doing drugs". He never reallly recovered, & he retired early, after which he became a commentator for the Beeb & Sky. He told me tonight that he retired because he no longer had quite the game needed to stay at the top, & he preferred to retire rather than slide into mediocrity. We chatted about old mutual pals - Mike Hallett (still grinding it out I believe), Willie Thorne, Ray Reardon, Patsy Fagan, happy days.

He's quite a pal of Roy Brindley, too, & Neil owns a few Greyhounds I thnk. He does a bit of work for Ladbrokes these days.

He played the Private Sky Tourney with us tonight (he's a pal of Tim Peters), & has a good little game. Down to 4 handed, (only 3 paid) Tim moved all-in, Dr Tom Sambrook did the same, & Neil superbly passed Jacks, & I did the same with KQ suited. Tim had Aces, & Dr Tom had the same hand as me!

I really enjoyed his company, what a nice man.

Stumbled across this post in Tikay's diary from December 2007.

The wild Western, eh? I'll never forget seeing Doyle Brunson there, in support of one of the mega comps they ran in their latter days. Physically, he looked very frail (despite his size), but mentally as sharp as ever, I suspect.

Blimey, how did you find that?

10 years ago, seemingly, I wrote that.

I had long forgotten that little private event we (Sky Poker) held there, but I vaguely recall it now you mention it. I have no idea who "Sky James" was though. So many staff come & go over the years.

The Western was, in truth, a bit of a dive. Compo (Dave Compton) & I went there several times, & I'm pretty sure we both knocked it in big time. Think it was run by Derek Baxter (?), after he got banned from The Vic? 

I do well remember they had a deal with Full Tilt, & had half a dozen computer stations perma-logged in to Full Tilt. I watched Dave Penly spin £100 up into £12,000 in under an hour one night. And then spin it down again. I was sort of pleading with him to cash out, but Dave loved a spin up & was actually very good at it.

I wonder if Neil Foulds still has any greyhounds?

I've not seen or heard of Roy the Boy in ages. He used to send me betting "tips", which were a bit left-field. He was always associated with Ladbrokes, though I doubt Ladbrokes Poker can justify an "Ambassador" these days, they've got virtually no traffic.

Doyle was over for the first WSOP-E up in London (the one Annette won), & I got the gig to interview him in his Hotel Suite in Leicester Square for some TV Show I was doing - might have been Wm Hill TV, for Phil, or Poker Week which Compo & I fronted. Doyle's wife was there, too, lovely kind lady. Doyle was OK, not exactly a sparkling personality, but full of interesting tales. In later years, I got to know Todd, his son, just by sharing tables with him occasionally in Vegas, including one all day session this year. Initially, I never took to Todd, I thought he was just a lucky boy, living off his Dad's name & rep. As it happens, we chatted a lot this year, & I found him quite affable & helpful. He always has a toothpick in his mouth, as so many dodgy sorts do, especially Americans. Maybe that was what put me off him originally.     

Mr Slack (Don, Dan?), who owned Fishers Snooker Club in Acton, also owned the club in Wimbledon (or was it Wandsworth?) that Karabiner mentioned a week or so back. I can recall his daughter, but I can't quite recall him now.

Meo & Jimmy always came across for the Friday Night Midnight Sweepstake. I played both of them many times, getting 7 blacks, & rarely troubled the judges. I do recall breaking off against Jimmy White, then he cleared up to the green in a single visit. Bloody bandit.

What a find, no idea how you find these things, but it's opened the memory floodgates. 

Anyway, best stop diverting the thread, or I'll be in trouble with Team Serious.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »

I enjoyed the Western,we choppeda comp there once tikay the Tuesday night £100er. Attracted some characters those Tuesdaynights did

I also had a fun seat draw in a Walsall festival comp once.

Seat 1 Mickey Wernick
Seat 2 Lucy Rokach
Seat 3 me
Seat 4 Matthew Stevens
Seat 5 Mark J Williams

I was staying in the Village and the next morning and,neither of us having made day 2,i stumbled into the bar area around 10am to find Mark J there surround by a coterie of advisors, hangers on and he was divvying up bundles of cash as i recall,like feeding the 5000.

this would have been around 2009 so only a few years after his peak

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »

I enjoyed the Western,we choppeda comp there once tikay the Tuesday night £100er. Attracted some characters those Tuesdaynights did

Seat 1 Mickey Wernick
Seat 2 Lucy Rokach
Seat 3 me
Seat 4 Matthew Stevens
Seat 5 Mark J Williams

I was staying in the Village and the next morning and,neither of us having made day 2,i stumbled into the bar area around 10am to find Mark J there surround by a coterie of advisors, hangers on and he was divvying up bundles of cash as i recall,like feeding the 5000.

Yes, I recall you & I chopping that comp up at The Western. Pretty sure on one of the dealers was Tony Phillips. Wonder what happened to him?

I won another Comp there one night when the last 3 were Richard Gryko, Mickey Cook & me.

I fell out a bit with Richard Gryko that night - can't quite remember why - but later we became good muckers & rubbed along well for many years. He married a few years ago & lives somewhere dreadful now - Norfolk, Suffolk, somewhere out there. 

Mickey Cook was known as "The Clock", allegedly as he was a lookout man on robberies. (He was there to "clock" people). Or so the story goes. I'm sure it's completely untrue, & Mickey is a fine, upstanding pillar of society, obv. Last saw him in Vegas a few years ago. He's getting on a bit now, hope he's OK.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »

Seat 1 Mickey Wernick
Seat 2 Lucy Rokach
Seat 3 me
Seat 4 Matthew Stevens
Seat 5 Mark J Williams

Yes, I recall you & I chopping that comp up at The Western. Pretty sure on one of the dealers was Tony Phillips. Wonder what happened to him?

I won another Comp there one night when the last 3 were Richard Gryko, Mickey Cook & me.

I fell out a bit with Richard Gryko that night - can't quite remember why - but later we became good muckers & rubbed along well for many years. He married a few years ago & lives somewhere dreadful now - Norfolk, Suffolk, somewhere out there. 

Mickey Cook was known as "The Clock", allegedly as he was a lookout man on robberies. (He was there to "clock" people). Or so the story goes. I'm sure it's completely untrue, & Mickey is a fine, upstanding pillar of society, obv. Last saw him in Vegas a few years ago. He's getting on a bit now, hope he's OK.

Tony Philips shacked up with Fran what's-her-name, aka Little Miss C. They had a baby together. Freddie, I think they called him. He must be 7 or 8 years old by now.

The last time I saw Tony he was card room manager at the Alea in Nottingham.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

Seat 1 Mickey Wernick
Seat 2 Lucy Rokach
Seat 3 me
Seat 4 Matthew Stevens
Seat 5 Mark J Williams

Tony Philips shacked up with Fran what's-her-name, aka Little Miss C. They had a baby together. Freddie, I think they called him. He must be 7 or 8 years old by now.

The last time I saw Tony he was card room manager at the Alea in Nottingham.

Get away? Well done him. I do recall he was Fran's partner, & they had a baby.

Which begs the question, is Rob Creed still around?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »

Anyway, best stop diverting the thread..

That's the most tilting thing anyone can put on a forum.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2017, 12:12:47 PM »

Now look what you've made me do.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

Creed! That's it. (I wish I could remember names)

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »

I think Tony turned out to be a bit of a bellend and things didn't work out well.

Mr Creed was working at the Alea last time i saw him.

Did any of you gentleman frequent the snooker hall in Sneinton ..........

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

I think Tony turned out to be a bit of a bellend and things didn't work out well.

So both Tony & Rob worked at Alea? (Red said Tony worked there).

Think we used to play at Sneinton in weekly League Games, but I have no real recollection of the place. 

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2017, 01:31:52 PM »

So both Tony & Rob worked at Alea? (Red said Tony worked there).

Think we used to play at Sneinton in weekly League Games, but I have no real recollection of the place. 

Well that's where my beloved table #2(and the rest of them afaik) from the Victoria snooker hall in London ended up and by a strange quirk of coincidence Stuart Hopkin's dad used to own the Sneinton establishment. Unfortunately I never played there so was never able to revisit my old friend.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »

Re. The Western. George Crawley was Baxter's partner I believe and they used to run a very big weekly cash game in the back room.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: