blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176677 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: October 07, 2018, 11:11:09 AM »

Around 1985 or thereabouts, I used to play a lot of snooker in & around Nottingham.

I just about got on our Club's B Team - mainly because I had a car so could be the taxi driver for away matches.

I was in my mid-thirties, had a decent job, nice car, & was, I suppose, a bit of a Jack the lad.

We used to play a Team called Stadium Leisure. Nice club, match table with seats for the audience & everything. Karabiner will remember it, I'm quite sure, & he'll remember the player in this story, too.

As the weakest player in my Team, I was often used as the sacrificial lamb, & so I'd play the opposition hotpot who nobody could beat. It never bothered me, I never did have much ego. Well maybe a bit....

Anyway, I always ended up playing the same lad. He was about 12 years old. TWELVE years old. Waistcoat, goatee beard, very odd - or should we say distinctive - looking kid.  

And of course he marmalised me every time. It was always best of 3 or best of 5, & the score always ended something-0.

Nothing quite prepares a middle aged guy, doing OK in life, running a business, nice car, who gets totally humiliated by a 12 year old wearing a waistcoat. Ugh.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 07, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »

Anyway, as you have probably guessed by now, Wonder Kid's name was Anthony Hamilton.

And because I kinda "knew him", I've followed his career ever since.

He was on TV yesterday, in the Semi Final of the European Masters, where he got beaten by Joe Perry.

And that's been the story of his life really. Not quite good enough to hack it at the top, always on the periphery of the snooker elite. The highest he ever got in the World Rankings was number 10.

He's been a pro for 27 years.

Never won anything, until, suddenly, in 2016, he won the German Masters.  It was his first Ranking Event win in 26 years. 26 years. Hard to imagine the joy he must have felt. In doing so, he became the oldest snooker pro to win a ranking event since Doug Mountjoy  nearly 30 years ago.

A couple of years ago, he said.....

I am rubbish now a lot of the time. I am getting old basically. It's no fun but it's better than working. I don't practice much anymore. I only play because it is better than working. I will have to work for a long time so I just want to swerve it for as long as possible

His career earnings are £1.4 milly. Sounds decent enough, but divide that by 27 years & you get around £50k per year. Travelling costs etc, it's peanuts really, though I guess he can pick up £500 or whatever per night for occasional exhibition matches & the like.

I could not help but wonder, as I watched him padding round the table yesterday, how much he must know about the Pro snooker scene. He has that tired & weary look about him, as well he might.

If ever there was a sporting journeyman Pro, it is him. And in a way, I envy him. Like he said, it's better than working.  

Click to see full-size image.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:17:11 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »

Jamie Jones suspended due to corruption inquiry;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/45823530

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: October 11, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »

Suspended? He wants hanging.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

In the English Open, currently being televised on Eurosport, we saw, I think, as phenomenal new talent last night, a young (18 year old) Chinese player named Luo Honghao, with the rather odd distinction of having chosen Pro Snooker over his other skill of being a Concert Pianist. Keep an eye on him, I think he has a bright future. 

Looks a real prospect. Doubt he weighs 5 stone wet, but a cue action to die for with a lovely pause on the backswing, & does not favour either eye. 

He went 0-2 down v Ronnie, looked a little dejected, but fought back to 3-2 up before losing 3-5. All attack, he played just 20 defensive shots over the 8 games, & fired in some cracking pots.

He's cack-handed, but plays right-handed with the rest, quite common I think.

One more unusual oddity is that he wears a glove, quite normal in Pool, but I can't recall many, if any, snooker players who wear one.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 20, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

Got a bit of personality & attitude, too.

He was wearing those porcupine shoes which Judd Trump often wears, & look like they cost £3.99 in Argos, but apparently come in at £850 per pair.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 20, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »

Talking of Judd Trump, I may be imagining it, but his results seems to be in severe decline. A prodigious talent, but something is not right with him.

Meanwhile, Ryan Day, who has been an also-ran for so many years, seems to be in the form of his life, odd how that happens, as we saw it with Anthony Hamilton recently.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 20, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »

In the English Open, currently being televised on Eurosport, we saw, I think, as phenomenal new talent last night, a young (18 year old) Chinese player named Luo Honghao, with the rather odd distinction of having chosen Pro Snooker over his other skill of being a Concert Pianist. Keep an eye on him, I think he has a bright future. 

Looks a real prospect. Doubt he weighs 5 stone wet, but a cue action to die for with a lovely pause on the backswing, & does not favour either eye. 

He went 0-2 down v Ronnie, looked a little dejected, but fought back to 3-2 up before losing 3-5. All attack, he played just 20 defensive shots over the 8 games, & fired in some cracking pots.

One more unusual oddity is that he wears a glove, quite normal in Pool, but I can't recall many, if any, snooker players who wear one.

I was very impressed with that young lad too - absolute Rolls-Royce of a cue-action - I even considered having a speculative EW bet on him for the WC.

500/1 was available but only with Denise for those lucky enough.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 20, 2018, 10:56:24 AM »

I was very impressed with that young lad too - absolute Rolls-Royce of a cue-action - I even considered having a speculative EW bet on him for the WC.

Yes, a gorgeous cue-action, & I liked everything about him. I had the same idea of backing him in future events, but have not actually done so yet. I'd certainly be interested at 500/1 for the WC if I were able.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 20, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »

Did you see the "missed" foul, Ralph?

It's here;

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=68284.0

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 20, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »

Did you see the "missed" foul, Ralph?

It's here;

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=68284.0

No I didn't see that Tony. I stopped watching for a bit when the young lad tightened up on a couple of shots after going 3-2 in front.

By the time I went back to watch it again Ronnie was doing his interview in the studio.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 21, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »

After all the hoohah over the missed foul, Ronnie had what looked on paper an easy semi-final v Mark Davis, but was in poor form & was thrashed 6-1.

Most of us would prefer to see Ronnie in the Final, I suspect, but what a thrill it must have been for Mark Davis - his first ever ranking final after 27 years on the circuit. 

He'll collect a minimum of £30,000 if he loses, or £70,000 if he wins, so for a man who has won £1.3 million in a 27 year career (less than £50k per year) it's a big deal for the fella.

Something real nice to see a career journeyman have their moment of glory.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 21, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »

Just about to post the same thing

In golf betting a lot of people often talk about players being inspired by friends or players from the same country/area.

Jimmy Robertson won his maiden title last week, Mark Davis is from Hastings and Jimmy Robertson came up playing in Bexhill.

They played local league together when Robertson was very young and I presume Davis was some kind of mentor. One of those things that can never be proved either way really but must be something in Davis taking a boost from it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 29, 2018, 11:43:43 PM »

There's a kid in the Snooker on Eurosport right now with the weirdest pre-shot routine ever.

Only a kid - decent kid too, a great prospect - goes by the name of Akani Songsermasawad, aka "Sunny Akani. 

scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 29, 2018, 11:55:08 PM »

I play left handed (right with rest) despite being strongly right handed. Wonder if that's common.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: