blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Give me a break
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 ... 99 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give me a break  (Read 176492 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: October 15, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »

Just moaning about the Engliish open facilities in a leisure centre.   FWIW i think he has a point because Hearn doesn't treat the top 16 in darts in this manner.   At the UK open (FA cup of darts) the top 16 don't play until the final 32 and the guessers and qualifiers have to battle it out on the floor to get through to the last 32 before the big boys enter.   He does seem to run darts and snooker iin a different manner.

Fair enough but he doesn't need to slag his opponent off.

I totally agree with you on that Tom his comments to a much less talented but hard working pro is very disrespectful and totally out of order.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: October 15, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »

"When you're playing people who are just happy to be there, it's their big occasion and they just go out and smash the balls all over the place, there's no point trying to play the right shot.

"Every time you do, they just play the wrong shot. Whatever game plan you've got, they just totally throw it out of the window with one shot.

"It's like following a driver who doesn't really know what they're doing. You're just trying to second-guess it and you end up having a crash yourself."

He's always giving it to Hearn, and often has a point.

No need for that at all, though.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 16, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »

John Virgo vs Alex Higgins at his best.

The last few balls are beyond belief

https://www.facebook.com/snooker.corner/videos/1239142612935002?sfns=mo

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »

John Virgo vs Alex Higgins at his best.

The last few balls are beyond belief

https://www.facebook.com/snooker.corner/videos/1239142612935002?sfns=mo

Amazing, simply amazing.

Whilst still on the yellow or green, Higgins says he will end up potting the black (which is on it's spot) "one handed into the middle".

He then makes a shot in a million, a real worldie, to pot pink from an impossible position.....and finishes up by potting black off it's spot into the middle one-handed.

Barely believable.

Loved watching Alex. I was always told to STAY DOWN ON THE SHOT. Guessing nobody ever told Alex that.

So sad how it all ended for Alex.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »

I couldn't get that to load probably because I don't have facebook.

I watched Higgins play a lot when I lived in Toronto and he came over a few times in the 1970's to play what was originally the CNE tournament. All the top pros came over to play it. There was Alex, Reardon, Virgo, Spencer, Pullman, Griffiths, Taylor et al, but only a few of them came downtown to play for money at Times Square Billiards on Yonge St. - Alex Higgins and a young Willie Thorne who had just turned pro were two.

I played Willie Thorne a couple of frames for fifty bucks - he gave me 40 start as recommended by Cliff Thorburn - but after making a big break in the first frame and winning it easily and having a decent lead in the second with just the colours left he left me a shot on the yellow which I potted and then cleared up to win on the black. He decided to quit fearing Cliff had put him in a trap but in fact the opposite was true as 40 points was not nearly enough for me to have the best of it. But I digress..

Times Square Billiards was the "action room" in Toronto and one of the biggest gamblers was Little Charlie who was a decent player himself - he used to spot me 10-12 points playing with six reds which was the usual format for gambling - and it was inevitable that Alex and Little Charlie would end up playing at some stage. Well one night they did and the format was with just three reds and they played for either fifty or a hundred bucks per game. I cant remember exactly what the start was but probably c10 points which is the equivalent of 30 with a full rack.

There were around 20/30 regulars sitting on the adjacent tables watching them play into the small hours and Alex was simply mesmerizing. The three-reds format is an interesting one because after the break one red is invariably "frozen" directly behind the pink so clearing up is far from straightforward and the games often develop into tactical battles after the two loose reds have been potted.

The way Alex managed to disturb that frozen red into a pottable position time after time by playing precision cannons and just hitting the pink half-ball at the perfect pace was honestly spellbinding and he managed to clear up time and time again. Little Charlie barely got a look in and he too became one of the entranced spectators until he ran out of cash.

I remember that session as though it were yesterday and can still see Alex in my mind's eye pulling his handkerchief out of his pocket and cleaning the white ball before he broke, and his trademark trigger-finger pointing to the ground.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 16, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »

^^^^

That's a cracking piece of story-telling, thank you.

By way of return, here's the You Tube version of that Facebook video.

It's about 12 minutes long, but if you are pressed for time, fast forward to the colours. I think you'll enjoy it.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 16, 2019, 11:18:01 PM »

I enjoyed the Western,we choppeda comp there once tikay the Tuesday night £100er. Attracted some characters those Tuesdaynights did

I also had a fun seat draw in a Walsall festival comp once.

Seat 1 Mickey Wernick
Seat 2 Lucy Rokach
Seat 3 me
Seat 4 Matthew Stevens
Seat 5 Mark J Williams

I was staying in the Village and the next morning and,neither of us having made day 2,i stumbled into the bar area around 10am to find Mark J there surround by a coterie of advisors, hangers on and he was divvying up bundles of cash as i recall,like feeding the 5000.

this would have been around 2009 so only a few years after his peak

Yes, I recall you & I chopping that comp up at The Western. Pretty sure on one of the dealers was Tony Phillips. Wonder what happened to him?

I won another Comp there one night when the last 3 were Richard Gryko, Mickey Cook & me.

I fell out a bit with Richard Gryko that night - can't quite remember why - but later we became good muckers & rubbed along well for many years. He married a few years ago & lives somewhere dreadful now - Norfolk, Suffolk, somewhere out there.  

Mickey Cook was known as "The Clock", allegedly as he was a lookout man on robberies. (He was there to "clock" people). Or so the story goes. I'm sure it's completely untrue, & Mickey is a fine, upstanding pillar of society, obv. Last saw him in Vegas a few years ago. He's getting on a bit now, hope he's OK.

Tony Philips shacked up with Fran what's-her-name, aka Little Miss C. They had a baby together. Freddie, I think they called him. He must be 7 or 8 years old by now.

The last time I saw Tony he was card room manager at the Alea in Nottingham.

Get away? Well done him. I do recall he was Fran's partner, & they had a baby.

Which begs the question, is Rob Creed still around?

He's been card-room manager at The Alea for a few years now by an odd coincidence.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »

On ITV4 right now Trump is playing Un-Nooh.

Mr Un is a really fun player to watch. Fast, attacking and exciting, but somewhat careless.

Am hoping he concentrates enough to give Trump a black eye.

Edit. In with a chance to win the first frame he makes a careless mistake and the Juddster clears up.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:23:30 PM by tikay » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 06, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »

Mr Un is a really fun player to watch. Fast, attacking and exciting, but somewhat careless.

Edit. In with a chance to win the first frame he makes a careless mistake and the Juddster clears up.

1.01 landed Cheesy

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 06, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »

1.01 landed Cheesy

Last I saw before I turned over for the football was Judd was heading for 4-0...

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 06, 2019, 08:38:40 PM »

1.01 landed Cheesy

Last I saw before I turned over for the football was Judd was heading for 4-0...

Incred.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: November 07, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »

As I posted yesterday in the wrong thread, it's Ronnie vs Jimmy today, well, now actually. 

PS- Ronnie is a tosser.

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:40 PM »

As I posted yesterday in the wrong thread, it's Ronnie vs Jimmy today, well, now actually.  

PS- Ronnie is a tosser.

I was struggling to work out what that post was doing in the politics thread.

Jimmy looked in good nick in frame 1. Hopefully that's the last frame he'll win.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 07, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »

Jimmy seems to be wearing his Grandad's trousers and waistcoat.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: November 07, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »

Jimmy seems to be wearing his Grandad's trousers and waistcoat.

^^      ^^          ^^

The voice of experience.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 ... 99 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: