blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Daniel Negreanu question.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daniel Negreanu question.  (Read 5097 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:32:32 AM »

I was watching Daniel Negreanu on TV the other night and I got to wondering...

Expressed as a percentage, how much would you say each of the following factors contribute to his success?

Ability

Charisma

Luck

Please feel free to include additional factors if you think it necessary.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »

I'm going for

Ability 45%

Charisma 35%

Luck 20%

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »

Ability 15%
Charisma 20%
Luck 65%

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »

Depends how you are defining success. In winning a net $8.7m over the last five years in tournaments I think it would be 85% Ability, 14% Luck, 1% Charisma. For being in the right place at the right time with Pokerstars, 49% Luck, 49% Charisma, 2% Ability.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »

95%
4%
1%

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »

Adding a new dimension -

Mental strength - 50%
Ability - 45%
Luck - 3%
Charisma - 2%
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:09 PM »

I awarded good points for charisma because I think it gets him a lot of sponsorship and media work.

You have to admit he's good value for money. If he just sat and sullenly played cards I don't think his net worth would be anything like it is now.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:16:21 AM »

Im not surprised he's something of a force to reckoned in the HR circuit, he's a smart guy, very, very experienced at live poker and very comfortably bankrolled for the events. He also seems to be kind of smart about game selecting the SHR's so all in all no surprise to see him be a small winner in these events. Even though his results are very skewed by his 2nd place finish in the $1m buyin. He says a lot that he really tries to put work into his game for these tournaments but that his commitments to pokerstars make it hard for him to do as much as he'd like and that's probably why he finds himself lagging behind the elite guys a little in these fields.

TBH given he's been around so long and how rich he is I think it's commendable he still has the drive and desire to be competitive. You can tell by his blog posts he really does care about being a winner at poker even though it's largely irrelevant to him financially at this point.

Think he's always had a plan and a strategy for his poker career and it's kind of worked out perfectly.

75%
20%
5%

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »

'timing' should be taken into account in the luck factor so think most people are undervaluing his luck value for sure.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »

'timing' should be taken into account in the luck factor so think most people are undervaluing his luck value for sure.

Luck doesn't feel like the right word, otherwise we'd attribute pretty much everything to 'luck',it's just standard existentialism. He deserves more credit than to label it as luck (sorry Keith).
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »

Luck doesn't feel like the right word, otherwise we'd attribute pretty much everything to 'luck',it's just standard existentialism. He deserves more credit than to label it as luck (sorry Keith).

yeh for sure but we were only given 3 categories Cheesy

could build a BR when poker strat was very immature, got on TV when free scam money was being pumped in, sponsored because of timing etc. for sure played a huge part in his career.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

yeh for sure but we were only given 3 categories Cheesy

could build a BR when poker strat was very immature, got on TV when free scam money was being pumped in, sponsored because of timing etc. for sure played a huge part in his career.

I gave you the option to add categories.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 01:07:03 PM »

ah I thought we had 3 categories but could mention factors Cheesy
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 01:08:53 PM »

ah I thought we had 3 categories but could mention factors Cheesy

Yes, my bad. I could have been clearer.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 02:16:29 PM »

luck is massive.  If he was born in a shithole; he wouldn't be so succesful, if he was born later, he'd likely have had to struggle more; if he ran bad first few times he played live, he might have drifted awat; if he didn't meet the people he did, he may not have signed for stars.

Luck is massive, even amongst those who work hard.  Would have put charisma higher if I didn't know that stars would have signed a plank of wood back in the day.

Ability 50%.  Luck 40%.  Charisma 10%.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: