blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NFL Thread 2018/19
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL Thread 2018/19  (Read 102090 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2018, 07:14:33 PM »

The Allen story is an incredible one. He sent some offensive (and allegedly racially sensitive) tweets to Stephen A Smith five years ago.

It's reportedly been released by a team hoping Allen falls to them.

Let me say that again: a team has released news of a series of possibly racist tweets, in an effort to sign that player.

Could that possibly be true?!

oh yes

could be a team wanting him to fall, or a team wanting him hoping someone doesn't trade above them..or conversely someone with a grudge. will never know

remember two years ago Laremy Tunsil was a potential number one pick and 12 hours before the draft the pictures of him in a mask smoking whatever-it-was were released? Dolphins got him at 15 iirc

It shows the NFL and Colin Kaepernick aren't made for each other, still.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »

Mock Draft 3

Here we go then: the third and final of my 2018 mock drafts. In the first two, I kept the draft order as it stood at the time of typing and, given we know there will be trades, that’s artificial and silly. Trouble is, predicting trades is a bit of a lottery, so it’s best avoided until at least shortly before the off. We have those in for Mock 3.

The other thing I did previously was put who I think the teams should draft and then put who I think they will draft. I think I’ve said enough about needs already to get rid of that for this one for Mock 3. What I will do, though is add any comments I think are worth making as we go along, as well as a little colour to the raw outlines of draft night, as I see it happening.

Here goes, then.

Rich Eisen faces the camera, his professionalism holding firm but not quite masking the nerves of an increasingly big night in the NFL calendar. A swathe of Texans cheer outside, while inside the hall, every jersey is represented and every football stereotype is on display, from cheesehead to jet to the guy who’s brought a D and a fence. And a few eagles in dog masks. Naturellement.

Mike Mayock is eager to discuss the cornerbacks, but is told to focus on the quarterbacks, so gives you a glowing review of each of the big four in turn. “Now, back to the corners…”

“Sorry, Mike. We’ll have plenty of time for those cornerbacks, but I have to pitch in to tell you the Commissioner is out for the first time tonight. You can probably tell that by the boos in the crowd”

Out comes Roger Goodell. A red tie tonight. He informs us…

The Cleveland Browns are on the clock!

Speculation is rife about whether the Browns are shopping the pick. John Dorsey has made it clear in the press they are and has done what he can to stoke interest in it. No one wants to pay the sort of premium they’re asking for, though, and it’s far from clear there’s a guy to sell the family silver for. The pick is in.

1.   Cleveland Browns select Sam Darnold, Quarterback, USC

The safest pick. They Browns simply had to go QB, after passing on so many alternatives who’ve turned out well over the last few years. It’s a situation where nothing but a QB would do. Whilst they’ve been linked with Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield, Darnold is the solid guy they need. He gets a redshirt year behind a mobile QB who can teach the low percentage style.

No arguments so far. Darnold does not look shocked – he’s known for a while he’s moving to Ohio. The family are delighted for him. The meme of the Browns shirt with 30 names on it gets passed around again.

The G-men have been on the clock for three minutes now and we can see activity in their war room, while Darnold is still posing for pictures with the Cleveland jersey. Could they be discussing a trade?

NFL insider, Ian Rapaport gets his first appearance of the evening. “I have heard the Giants have been contacted by two teams this evening but I understand that there will be no trade for the number 2 pick.”

PICK IS IN, says the banner at the bottom of the screen. Cut to Giants fans in the crowd who are mouthing “Saquon”, between their cheers. Here comes the Commissioner…

2.   New York Giants select Josh Allen, Quarterback, Wyoming

This pick will split the pundits, but it was always going to. The Giants have a 37 year old quarterback who looked mediocre in his best moments last season. They have a fantastic receiving corps and their star man would quite like the ball. The Giants are two years at least away from being Super Bowl challengers, and that’s if they can persuade Beckham to stick around. Eli won’t be there for that success, if it comes. Go get your guy.

Barkley is going to be a star, but the analytics boys will tell you running backs are substantially less valuable than quarterbacks in the modern NFL, and using the number 2 pick on one is extremely risky. What – they will ask – is the point of ending up like Arizona with a great running back and no guy under center?

The Allen news in the last few hours has made it very interesting, as Allen could easily fall a long way in this draft. Some ill-judged comments or a serious problem? Stephen A Smith has spoken to Allen and it seems – at time of typing – to be more of a stupid thing than something reflective of his general beliefs. Well, I still think the Giants go for him. The upside is worth it and they will doubtless have done their due diligence.

Stanford coach, David Shaw, is surprised, proclaiming Barkley the best player in the draft. Daniel Jeremiah can’t disagree, but it’s a passing league and the Giants understand what they need to do – it’s about making this team relevant for the next few years, not just 2018.

Gang Green are ready. So is the Commish.

3.   New York Jets select Baker Mayfield, Quarterback, Oklahoma

PFF’s best rated player. This could be a steal, Mayock tells us. He’s got plenty of guile and gumption. We see the Ohio State game where he plants a flag in the middle of the home centre circle after a famous win against the Buckeyes. Boy that didn’t go down well!

So three QBs so far (well done if you had a bet on those lines). “Talking of Ohio”, Rich segues, “the Browns are back on the clock, thanks to Houston having had a terrible season in 2017. What’s the play here, coach?”

Shaw favours Barkley. So does D J. Mayock offers us Chubb, just to be different. Rich plays it cool and suggests a trade for the fourth pick. Rap sheet?

“There were reports of this being traded some weeks ago, but I’ve heard nothing tonight. It seems likely the Browns will take this pick now.”

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »

4.   Cleveland Browns select Saquon Barkley, Running Back, Penn State

Measurables that break the scales. He can bench like an offensive lineman, run faster than a return man, jump higher than a wide receiver, solve the Riemann hypothesis, drive round the Nürburgring in under 9 minutes in a child’s trike…and he can do his own job pretty well, too.

I’ve somehow convinced myself that the Browns should actually take Chubb and build themselves an elite defense up front against a weak Bengals line and two past it QBs in Big Ben and Joe Flacco. But I don’t think they will do that. If Saquon is there at 4, he’s going to Ohio.

Jay Z has tweeted his congratulations to Saquon, we’re shown. LeBron is not far behind him. Cleveland is the place to be, we’re assured. They changed their tune, didn’t they?!

So Denver are now on the clock. It’s a great spot for a trade. We know that they are interested in moving down. Most likely suitor is Arizona, who would be interested in Josh Rosen. Nothing doing, though. We move on. 

5.   Denver Broncos select Josh Rosen, Quarterback, UCLA

Some people think he’s the best quarterback in the draft class. I’m sceptical about that, but he’s got everything you could want in one. And he’s got a fairly decent bloke in shades to help out with the advice in that GM of his.

Around the NFL presenter Dan Hanzus tweets:

This one’s for John…

The Colts are on the clock, while Rosen’s interviewed by Deon Sanders, who asks him whether his outspoken character will be a barrier for him. Rosen gives a brilliantly balanced and honest answer, but with the sort of wry smile you associate with a supremely confident athlete. Prime Time approves.

With four QBs having gone already, this creates a very interesting situation for the rest of the teams who want one. How high do you jump if you want to take Lamar Jackson?

The Colts would have been a trade spot, if the Broncos had taken someone else, like Chubb or Nelson. The Bills have really been hurt by the Jets trade, because it’s priced them out of the market for a jump into the top 4, without relinquishing too much capital, when they need so many other players.

6.   Indianapolis Colts select Bradley Chubb, Defensive End, North Carolina State

Legitimately might be the best player in the draft and even Chris “what’s your favorite type of frog?” Ballard can make this choice. The best first step the NFL has seen since Von Miller. The AFC South just got even scarier for QBs.

Having been offense dominated, we probably now will see some defense, after Chubb went at 6. Neil Reynolds is back in the Sky studio, delighted to be there and fizzing like a Formula One Moët. What he loves is that there are some great players being pushed down the draft and the story is that the weakest teams have gambled, which is so often a bad idea. Fortune favours the brave though, Jeff tells Neil. Not in those words, mind. He’d never say that. He says it in a much cooler way.   

7.   Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Derwin James, Safety, Florida State

I think the Buccs will have agonised over whether to take Quenton Nelson for their much-maligned offensive line. It’s got to be close. I have such a high grade on James, though: he can play in the linebacker position, out at slot corner, even with his hand on the ground for goodness sake! He’s in a division where teams will be throwing the ball on him and he’s going to be pulling the defense into order behind Gerard McCoy’s front line.

For the second time tonight, we see Quenton Nelson at his table, with his family. He looks young all of a sudden. The “glass eater” of the Combine is nowhere to be found. If the Buccs went Nelson instead, I’d say there could be a trade at 8, but the Bears are about to get their guy, Wait…is Nelson on the phone? Here comes Commish.

8.   Chicago Bears select Quenton Nelson, Guard, Notre Dame

Dave Shaw tells us this unites Nelson with his O-Line coach from college and everything Nagy and co have done since they took over has been to give Mitch Trubisky what he needs to succeed. They have bolstered the WR corps and now is the time to give him some protection. D J says Bucky Brooks calls Nelson a “hog molly”, much to everyone’s amusement.

Eisen chimes: “hog molly, glass eater, who knows?! He’s going to Illinois, though.”

TRADE ALERT

Buffalo trade up with San Francisco

The first of the night! NFL Insider, Ian Rapaport has more.

“We’re waiting on the details of it, but I have had it confirmed by both sides that the San Francisco 49ers have traded the ninth pick to the Buffalo Bills. It seems there was interest from at least two other teams, but San Francisco were keen to retain a top 15 position. It seems they are confident of being able to get someone from their big board still, having seen the quarterbacks dominate the first few picks. I believe – although this hasn’t been confirmed – that the Bills will keep their pick at 22.”

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:58 PM »

9.   Buffalo Bills select Lamar Jackson, Quarterback, Louisville

A tricky spot, but Miami and Arizona would have wanted him, so the Bills are forced to make a move. They’ve been royally hurt by the Jets trade last month and they rightly didn’t sell everything to move up for a gamble at QB. This way, it’s cost them an ageing left tackle and a little capital to move up to 9 from 21. No doubt this is a reach for the Bills, but they’ve painted themselves into a corner now.

Mayock shows us some film of Jackson. You must drink if you hear “special athlete” or “Michael Vick”.

The Raiders complete the top ten and the Big Boards around the league will have surprisingly few gaps at the top. There’s a lot of talent out there.

10.    Oakland Raiders select Roquan Smith, Linebacker, Georgia

He’s grown on me. I’d been heavy on Tremaine Edmunds, but there seems to be a consensus now that Smith is the best linebacker in the class. The Raiders have a huge hole in the middle of their defense and an impact player like Smith is just what they need. Denzel Ward is certainly a possibility, here, but I think Smith ticks so many boxes for the Raiders that he’s a Gruden pick.

TRADE ALERT

Miami trade their pick to the Green Bay Packers

Rap Sheet: “This has come as a surprise, but the circumstances have created it. The Dolphins wanted to take Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield and the Packers have seen a player they really covet still on the board at 11, who they think will go at 12 or 13 if they don’t take control.”

The Dolphins have become a retirement home for troubled players. It’s a mess of a roster, so a few cheap picks must be in order.

11.   Green Bay Packers select Denzel Ward, Defensive Back, Ohio State

Having spent last year’s first round pick on a cornerback, you could understand a bit of eyebrow raising at this one. But look at him. The Packers still need cover at cornerback and in the safety position. Ward is versatile enough to fit the scheme and he can do a great job inside the hashes for this defense. It doesn’t seem like it can be a miss to trade up for Ward.

The Niners are on the clock but seem not to have taken long to make their call, as Ward is still talking to Prime Time when the Redskins are on the clock at 13. Rich Eisen has no time for discussion.

12.   San Francisco 49ers select Minkah Fitzpatrick, Safety, Alabama

This is such a great spot for a Best Player Available selection. Shanahan doesn’t have a dire need at safety and they have Richard Sherman at cornerback. But what a lot of experience to give to their future defensive leader. Another line would have been to take Mike McGlinchey, the offensive tackle, but there should be room for that in later rounds. Getting one of the big three D-Backs and moving down for the privilege gets a lot of backslapping from the commentators.

Neil Reynolds is fascinated by the D-Back trio and we get a bit of time with Jeff to run through the play-calling that these guys will love. Fitzpatrick is talked about as a possible replacement for Reuben Foster. Probably wrongly, but understandably.

Washington will be gutted, as they would dearly have loved one of those three guys, but they will still be going defense.

13.    Washington Redskins select Vita Vea, Defensive Tackle, Washington

This is a dire need for the Redskins, whose runstuffing game has been pretty grim. Vea is mobile enough to get sacks, too, which is a huge boost for this team. Mayock has some great film to show us. It’s called a reach by some hacks, while others call it a steal.

14.    Miami Dolphins select Tremaine Edmunds, Linebacker, Virginia Tech

Another team who can go Best Player Available, the Dolphins employ the same strategy of trading down and reaping the rewards. They could pick from around ten different positions, but linebacker and Edmunds is a smart one. The Dolphins will happily report on this being the guy they wanted all along. Sure.

Rich Eisen is settled into his stride fully now and we get to see his Combine 40 yard dash, which we play alongside Tremaine Edmunds and Vita Vea, to much hilarity. Mayock gives him a traditional appraisal.

15.    Arizona Cardinals select Josh Jackson, Cornerback, Iowa

Steve Wilks loves a zone defense and this is the best zone cornerback in the draft. If you try to run a team on one running back, one cornerback and one wide receiver, it’s a tough ask to get many wins. Patrick Peterson needs some help and he gets an equally alliterative partner in Josh Jackson. Views are very much mixed about this selection, which leads to some fun in the studio, but I am a big Jackson fan.

Baltimore are facing a challenging situation in that they have a few areas of need but there will be reaches in a few of them. They must decide what to do. This one runs down to the last few seconds before the pick is in, enabling a lot of speculation to happen, with D J suggesting Hayden Hurst, Dave Shaw suggesting Calvin Ridley, Mike Mayock suggesting Billy Price and someone on twitter mischievously suggesting Mason Rudolph.  

16.    Baltimore Ravens select Connor Williams, Offensive Tackle, Texas

The O-Line isn’t great in Baltimore, after the loss of Ryan Jensen at center. The team will have a reshuffle there and Williams will probably move inside to Guard, as his measurable suggest that’s where he will be best for the NFL.

So we’ve had two trades so far (Buff/SF and GB/Mia) and now the Chargers are on the clock. The Chargers had a mock draft the other night, where a team of scouts, whose job had been to research a different team, competed against each other as though it were Thursday night. They played through a few ideas to see how various combinations of selections would lead to a team wanting to trade up or down. What then normally happens is they draft offensive line or an edge rusher.

17.    Los Angeles Chargers select Leighton Vander Esch, Linebacker, Boise State

The Chargers have done a good job of keeping their big board close to their chest, so this is an interesting pick. It’s a huge need for the team and he has been a real riser over the past month or so. Plenty have him this high.

We are flying again. Commissioner is out again!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:17:45 PM by Tal » Logged

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »

TRADE ALERT

Seattle trade with Carolina.

This is a real surprise. Carolina must be high on someone they think will be taken by a team between 17 and 24 and they must be high on the big board. Seattle would have been looking for a trade down to get extra picks, as they are very short in the middle rounds.

18.   Carolina Panthers select D J Moore, Wide Receiver, Maryland

Cam Newton was exposed last year for being poor in the pocket. They’ve given Greg Olsen more money, but he needs help. Moore can play inside, outside and anywhere else, as needed and that, with McCaffrey and Funchess, offers a much more balanced prospect for the offense.

Moore was an ideal guy for Dallas. Carolina would have to get above them to take him, at least with confidence, so they make a splash play and have to hope this one works out.

Cam tweets his joy. Unclear whether he is in a fancy hat, but we can assume he’s sartorially extravagant.

The Joneses are putting on a brave face. They would dearly have liked their guy at wide receiver, with Dez gone. They'd have loved Vita Vea and quite possibly Vander Esch. There's not much trade value from here, so making a choice seems more prudent. At offensive line, La'El Collins wants to play at right tackle, so the decision needs to be made about whether he is a guard. Tyron Smith on the left needs to stay healthy. Or is it Rashaan Evans at linebacker? Jerry's put the phone down. Mr Goodell, over to you...

19.   Dallas Cowboys select Mike McGlinchey, Offensive Tackle, Notre Dame

Commentators will scoff that the ‘Boys are stacked on the O Line but have maybe the 28th best receiving corps. They can get Anthony Miller in the 2nd round, where losing Dak or not getting Zeke up to 5 yards a carry is unthinkable. McGlinchey is the best tackle in the class (excluding Williams, as above).

I really think this is a smart move.

It also hurts Detroit, who would have loved a tackle. That said, Matt Patricia's first pick is going to be a defensive one, surely? They are rich at linebacker, although plenty of hacks disagree. They also have talent at safety and cornerback. I'm very cute on this team, so they need a good selection to continue to justify my interest. They could go running back, but I think the value is in the round below: if they don't pass well, there's no need to worry about the run game; the Lions will lose. There won't be a trade, here.

20.   Detroit Lions select Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

I almost went Da'Ron Payne here. I really wouldn't be surprised if they went this way. He's an explosive, upfield tackle. But Landry has fallen to 20 and that's a terrific bit of value for a team that really needs a pass rusher. Landry is reunited with his coach from Boston, who is now the defensive coordinator in Detroit. They know who this kid is and who he can be. He’s the sort of lad I’d be considering for DPOY in this situation, as he will be a decent price.

The Bengals are now on the clock, having got this pick from Buffalo in the trade that brought them Cordy Glenn at left tackle. I think they would have liked Landry, here, as he’d fit their scheme. But the need has to be on the offensive line and they have a choice between a few big lads. There’s very little chance of a trade, here. The pick is in.

21.    Cincinatti Bengals select Frank Ragnow, Guard, Arkansas

In some publications, he’s listed as a center, but I think he will be a more natural Guard for the Bengals. There is of course the option for him to move inside, though. Ragnow has been the quiet climber the past week or so. Cincy ride the wave and take him. I don’t think they can miss very easily if they take one of the big boys (Daniels, Price, Wynn). I’m not convinced about Will Hernandez and I don’t think he is drafted tonight.

TRADE ALERT

Buffalo are at it again! This time, they have traded down with New Orleans, in order to get some of their lost picks back. Rap Sheet has the scoop:

“I’ve spoken with Brandon Beane and there’s a real sense the team can get who they want at 27, as they have multiple options. The Saints clearly want someone they worry won’t be there shortly to make this move.”

Rich Eisen asks D J who thinks it must be a receiver or tight end. Mike Mayock wonders if it’s Marcus Davenport, “Who must think he ran over the President’s foot on the way here”. 

22.    New Orleans Saints select Hayden Hurst, Tight End, Michigan

Daniel Jeremiah is grinning from ear to ear. This was his top tight end and he’d even had him going to Baltimore at 16 in his mock. Some have argued for a faster guy up the seam, but the Saints play a lot of two tight end formations, particularly in the redzone, and Hurst offers a lot more right now than the others. This is a team that wants to win it all in 2018 and a project like Gesicki would be a mistake.

Moving up to take a tight end in a weak class is a real risk, but the Saints know they have a need in a position and can fill it relatively cheaply. I have a sneaky suspicion, if the Patriots don’t manage to trade up, they will be looking hard at Hurst at 23. This is the real reason for the trade to 22.

Mike Mayock’s mock draft put Kolton Miller in at 23 for the Pats, but I can’t see him being taken here. They need a left tackle for sure, but Miller is no lock to be a great player, as his college performances don’t reflect his superb Combine numbers.

23.   New England Patriots select Sam Hubbard, Edge, Ohio State

One thing’s for sure: Bill Belichick won’t do what everyone else thinks he should. He does things his own way and paying a premium for an offensive lineman is not a Bill thing to do. They need a pass rush threat and Hubbard is possibly the most Patriot player in this whole draft class. I think this is a very strong shout.

This puts Seattle back on the clock, as they had traded down with the Panthers. Surely they go Offensive Line now? Commish is out. The boos are as enthusiastic as they were two hours ago. He must love his job.

24.   Seattle Seahawks select Marcus Davenport, Defensive End, UTSA

A raw player, but this is an athletic monster who Pete Carroll will surely relish having around the place. The Legion of Boom isn’t around any longer, so the rebuild begins. A fan in the auditorium is scratching his head at no offensive line and that’s matched tenfold by Russell Wilson, who might be doing some more running this year. But there’s still time to draft pass protectors and the trade down has helped.

This puts the Titans on the clock, which is an interesting situation. They would have loved an edge rusher, but the ones they would have taken aren’t there. Linebacker is a big need, so they could go Rashaan Evans. Offensive line is also a need, but the depth of the class suggests they try in later rounds. Gut tells me they fancy someone here.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »

25.   Tennessee Titans select Maurice Hurst, Defensive Tackle, Michigan

PFF are extremely high on this lad, whose medical problems seem to have been given the all clear. First rounders tend to be close to the finished product, but Hurst is more of a developmental project, at least by Thursday night draft standards. The key though is they can rotate him in and out, rather than relying on him immediately, and there is definitely interest out there for him. He goes next if not now.

Twitter criticises the Titans for being forgettable and for spending a big draft pick on a forgettable player. The cool kids praise John Robinson for being a genius GM. Rinse and repeat. The Falcons are getting ready and we can see in their war room that they are shaking hands and looking relaxed.

26.   Atlanta Falcons select Da’Ron Payne, Defensive Tackle, Alabama

This one seems to have come late in the press insider reports, as the commonly held view was they wanted Taven Bryan. However, the sources seem to be whispering the real target is Payne. They have to fill the enormous hole left behind by Dontari Poe leaving and, with so many cornerbacks still available, it feels inevitable the Falcons go DT.

This brings Buffalo back on the clock, as it would have been the Saints to choose now.

27.   Buffalo Bills select Billy Price, Center, Ohio State

I am convinced the Bills need to draft one of the centers if they do keep two picks in the first round. Price has had confirmation that he’ll be fine for training camp, so I am expecting teams not to put off by the pectoral injury he had in the Combine.

No one can criticise taking a lineman after you’ve drafted a quarterback. The Bills have some picks now to find a weapon for him. Evans would have been D J’s pick and Mayock’s, which is understandable. The Bills have been courting the centers, though, and it feels this is one where the obvious pick needs to be obvious. 

Four seconds later, the Pittsburgh pick is in.

28.   Pittsburgh Steelers select Rashaan Evans, Linebacker, Alabama

It’s just about a lock that Evans goes here, if he hasn’t before. The Steelers’ biggest is exactly the sort of player Rashaan Evans is.

Antonio Brown tweets Evans is going to enjoy the Steelers experience and Bell likes it.

29.   Jacksonville Jaguars select Mike Gesicki, Tight End, Penn State

This isn’t who I’d pick. I’m not hot on athletes for the big teams, who need football brains first. But I can see the Jags choosing him, as they would like a seam running guy who can be an easy target for Blake Bortles. I would definitely go cornerback on this draft list and look for a good slot corner.

There’s definitely some scope with the last three teams for a trade down. That all-important fifth year option will be appealing to some teams for sure.

30.   Minnesota Vikings select Taven Bryan, Defensive Tackle, Florida

There’s not much between Bryan and Payne. It’s really who you fancy. The Vikings have had the decision made for them. I’m pretty confident if either of them is available at 30, this is where they go. They have a strong defense, but there are a number of players in contract years or close to it. Having a rotation guy in the gut will be a huge boost for the team. As if this defense could get better, the panel cry.

31.   New England Patriots select Jaire Alexander, Cornerback, Louisville

Alexander is an aggressive prospect at CB. He has all the measurables and only allowed a 41.8% completion percentage against him. What will appeal is he can play in man and zone coverage, which is a big plus for a Patriots defense who set up against the opponent’s weaknesses. We’ll deal with the O-Line later is the message.

Rich Eisen cheekily asks “Malcolm who?”

Commissioner, Roger Goodell, makes his last walk out to the middle, as we learn the Super Bowl champions have not traded down. The final pick of the night is in.

32.   Philadelphia Eagles select Kolton Miller, Offensive Tackle, UCLA

I was critical of the possibility of him going further up. The difference here is the Eagles already have two good tackles in Lane Johnson and Jason Peters, plus Vaitai as a potential left tackle cover. They can rotate Miller in during the season, with a view to him starting next season. This is a much smarter move than it would be for other teams.

So that brings the evening to an end. It started with a QB frenzy but ended with defences dominating.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2018, 01:50:44 AM »

Erm...what? Cleveland gonna Cleveland, I guess.

Everyone's draft board out the window, yes?
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2018, 02:38:24 AM »

Redskins drafting like a rookie getting sniped in their first ever draft.

"Crap, the team before me took the best DT and that's all I need, take the next best, now!"
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2018, 02:48:44 AM »

"Crap, the team before me took the best DT and that's all I need, take the next best, now!"

Then the Raiders do the same, sigh.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2018, 02:52:16 AM »

Tal, you got to be loving this, surely? No way you could have expected Josh Allen AND Trumaine Edmunds in the 1st round without giving the stadium away, yet that's what you got, because those were two good deals.
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2018, 02:54:33 AM »

Was delighted at Edmunds and James falling to us at 15 until we didn't pick either.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2018, 02:55:24 AM »

Was delighted at Edmunds and James falling to us at 15 until we didn't pick either.

Agreed. How do we pass on James?!

Ah well, let's see who the Chargers take then going to bed.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2018, 03:00:15 AM »

Sigh. Had to be really. Chargers going to make us pay. Bosa and Gordon up front, James in the back.
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2018, 03:18:22 AM »

Sigh. Had to be really. Chargers going to make us pay. Bosa and Gordon up front, James in the back.

Have a bad feeling we're going to take a WR in the 2nd round and neglect the defense, and picking a Tackle ahead of Edmunds and James hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise.

Thought we'd grab one in the 3rd/4th round but putting up 30 points a game will sell season tickets in Vegas - we've got rid of Crabtree, Nelson is 33, and we're probably letting Seth Roberts walk in a year, so we need someone to pair with Cooper in the long term who can be our #3 receiver then start in a couple of years.

EDIT: About 5 seconds after I hit the "post" button we get Martavis Bryant from the Steelers for our #75 pick. Like that move a lot tbf. Now PLEASE pick a defensive player at #41.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:20:55 AM by Evilpengwinz » Logged
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2018, 06:48:11 AM »

Safe to say the draft went well betting wise.

I followed tighty in on Moore and Roquan Smith being the first of their positions, all three that I put on my site landed, including Rashaad Penny being the second RB at 33/1 (shame they only let me have a quid on it!)

Somehiw I got 5/1 on Ragnow going first round as well, shame the Lions took him as I'm sure the Bengals would have done but they got Billy Price who I think they've wanted for weeks anyway.

Looks like the Ravens had a good night and the Bills seem to have made some good moves too. I still would have preferred Wynn, the Pats have a steal with him at 23

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: