blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Winter Olympics
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 5098 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »

I just did some searching on Red Gerard, who just won a Slopestyle gold medal at 17.

Red at 12

Red at 10

Might have to reconsider the no somersaults on the trampoline rule... 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »

In Thailand at the moment, very nearly pulled the trigger on a week at the Olympics. Was expensive.....Ok can deal with that to a point, but most accommodation was 90+ mins away meaning min 3 hour round trip each day, that was the killer........
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

In Thailand at the moment, very nearly pulled the trigger on a week at the Olympics. Was expensive.....Ok can deal with that to a point, but most accommodation was 90+ mins away meaning min 3 hour round trip each day, that was the killer........

When the Olympics were on in London, I think all our trips were 90 min+ each way, and loved them all bar the tennis.  And that was only because it peed down most of the day.  Even that wasn't to bad.  Love trying big sporting occasions*.  I'll definitely have to give it a go one time.

* apart from the boat race obv.  Bag of shite.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »

When the Olympics were on in London, I think all our trips were 90 min+ each way, and loved them all bar the tennis.  And that was only because it peed down most of the day.  Even that wasn't to bad.  Love trying big sporting occasions*.  I'll definitely have to give it a go one time.

Yeah but after a 12 hour flight and having to do another return 4/5 hour flight from Bkk to Seoul, (which wasn’t toooooo expensive) then a 3 hour round trip on train/bus every day for 5-7 days from pretty much Seoul to the venue. After all that  having to lug an extra set of cold clothes to keep warm when your original plan was to get out of the fking cold weather for a few weeks.....after all that you can probably see why it wasn’t quite a straight forward a decision as that.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »

Yeah but after a 12 hour flight and having to do another return 4/5 hour flight from Bkk to Seoul, (which wasn’t toooooo expensive) then a 3 hour round trip on train/bus every day for 5-7 days from pretty much Seoul to the venue. After all that  having to lug an extra set of cold clothes to keep warm when your original plan was to get out of the fking cold weather for a few weeks.....after all that you can probably see why it wasn’t quite a straight forward a decision as that.......

So basically you don't like it a bit chilly then?  People up north wear t-shirts when it is -25...

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:11 AM »

I used to have a romantic dream of attending a World Cup in a far flung place where accom would be dirt cheap, and that I'd be able to buy a ticket at the gate for a "tier 3" game. LOL at that, eh?

Then when the Winter Olympics were awarded to Vancouver (2010, I think), I thought "great, I can ask my friends & relatives to get me tickets" whilst accom would be zilch. Word quickly got back to me that I was off my head. Even the locals were priced out of the market. And that says something! Not a chance of seeing even some of the most boring stuff for less than $1k since most of the locations were travel & parking on top of the extortionate event fees.

The dream is but a romantic one....
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »

I used to have a romantic dream of attending a World Cup in a far flung place where accom would be dirt cheap, and that I'd be able to buy a ticket at the gate for a "tier 3" game. LOL at that, eh?

Then when the Winter Olympics were awarded to Vancouver (2010, I think), I thought "great, I can ask my friends & relatives to get me tickets" whilst accom would be zilch. Word quickly got back to me that I was off my head. Even the locals were priced out of the market. And that says something! Not a chance of seeing even some of the most boring stuff for less than $1k since most of the locations were travel & parking on top of the extortionate event fees.

The dream is but a romantic one....

If I can get tix 100% I’ll be at RWC in Japan next year, let’s see.....
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 01:41:22 PM »

Must be so gutting to train for 4 years like the snowboarders and you get to the Olympics and the wind makes it a dangerous lottery and the organisers won't postpone the event so boarders could perform their best. You've got to just fly into the swirling wind and risk injury as that's the only way you will get a medal
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »

Snowboardcross is the nuts of the Winter Olympics
Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »

Snowboardcross is the nuts of the Winter Olympics

It's awesome isn't it!

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »

oooooh.

Great stuff Lizzie Yarnold.  Grim for the Austrian girl though.

Cavey007

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:46:25 AM »

Elise Christie... Obviously one of the big stories of the games again for GB.

Unlucky, or just not good enough in the crunch times? I know she's a world champion so she's obviously good. Is she just trying too much when she knows a lot of the country will be watching in the Olympic finals?

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »

I find it quite amazing the difference in the length of time competitions take. Does anyone know if Curling is the longest?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »

Elise Christie... Obviously one of the big stories of the games again for GB.

Unlucky, or just not good enough in the crunch times? I know she's a world champion so she's obviously good. Is she just trying too much when she knows a lot of the country will be watching in the Olympic finals?

You obviously have to be pretty hardcore to do that sport, and there are plenty of fallers particularly when it really matters. 

I feel it is likely one of those occasions where people try and fit reasons to what they have seen when the likelihood is she is just running bad. If she wants to win she has to take the fine margins.  She won 2 World Championship golds last season, so she can't really bottle the big occasions.  If people had seen those events on the BBC, they wouldn't be saying she can't handle the big occasion. 

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »

I've really been enjoying these games. Lot of love for all the skiing and boarding events, quite surprised by how much I enjoyed the pairs figure skating - quite awesome and worth watching the winning routine by ze Germans if you didn't catch any of it..must be getting way old.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: