blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Visit my mosque day
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Visit my mosque day  (Read 4599 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:04:38 AM »

Sunday was visit my mosque day.  I hadn't heard of visit my mosque day before today,  but it must be a positive thing in communities where people tend to live separate lives. 

There was a statistic given that less than 1 in 10 UK people have visited a mosque.   Given muslims make up a little less than 5% of the population, then that probably becomes only 1 in 20 of the non-muslim population.  I am guessing the vast majority of those will have visited a church or cathedral at some time.

I have been to a few mosques when on visits and also attended one as part of a wedding. 

I was just wondering what keeps the rest away?  If I had never been, I'd be tempted to go along just for curiosity.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:26 AM »

Agree cultural education (especially religious, and especially Islam where there is probably a lot of ignorance) has to be a good thing.

Out of interest, what do you expect someone who knows nothing about Islam and/or religion to take away from a mosque visit?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 01:28:53 AM »

Agree cultural education (especially religious, and especially Islam where there is probably a lot of ignorance) has to be a good thing.

Out of interest, what do you expect someone who knows nothing about Islam and/or religion to take away from a mosque visit?

I'd hope they would be put at ease, and they'd be greeted more positively than they would expect.  A fair chunk of our population sees Muslims as people they really aren't.  Nobody is going to make you pray and I'd say you'd be pretty unluckly if anybody made you feel uncomfortable.  I don't think your average mosque is going to be anything special. 

Muslim weddings are very friendly occasions.  I wouldn't be surprised if anybody can pop in and be offered something to eat.  I loved the way loads of people got involved in the food preparation etc.  They do go on a bit though the one I went to went on for 3 days.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 03:46:07 AM »

I have little interest in my own religion let alone others. The only time I would bother is if there was another reason to visit like it was a nice building or something, the handful of times I’ve done it that was the reason.....
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »

I have visited churches / cathedrals but they have been historic buildings and rather beautiful. My local mosque is housed in an old shop next to a newsagents

But when you ask why non Muslims haven't visited mosques,  are you looking for a surprising answer?

The Muslim faith doesn't seem the most welcoming of secular outsiders. Much the same way most would decline the local priest's offer to babysit the kids. Of the main monotheistic religions the muslim faith is currently the furthest from selcuar western values and currently exports the deadliest terror campaigns against them. Even if it's just a PR problem,  it's not hard to see why people of no faith aren't flocking to mosques to see what the fuss is about.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:50 AM »

What a great idea, thanks for the nod Doobs.

A tremendous way to help break down the invisible barriers & those illogical prejudices many people seem to have.

Only good can come from this. A terrific idea, imo.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

I'm not religious in the slightest, but a few years ago I took part in a 'faith walk' in Leicester.

We visited a Catholic church, a Mosque, a Sikh temple etc... It was great.

Did you know that anyone can walk into a Sikh temple and they will give you a meal? Amen to that.

The older I get, the better I was.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

This strong importance Sikhs place on community also contributes to why langar—which roughly translates to 'kitchen' or 'canteen', and is a practice whereby volunteers in the gurdwaras cook bountiful North Indian food for anyone that wants to eat it—is still so abundant.

Regardless of your faith, gender, ethnicity, or financial status, from midday to midnight at your local gurdwara, everyone is welcome to sit and eat an enormous free meal. The only condition is that you cover your head and take off your shoes before entering the langar hall.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »

This strong importance Sikhs place on community also contributes to why langar—which roughly translates to 'kitchen' or 'canteen', and is a practice whereby volunteers in the gurdwaras cook bountiful North Indian food for anyone that wants to eat it—is still so abundant.

Regardless of your faith, gender, ethnicity, or financial status, from midday to midnight at your local gurdwara, everyone is welcome to sit and eat an enormous free meal. The only condition is that you cover your head and take off your shoes before entering the langar hall.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/qkx9np/sikh-temples-arent-just-about-eating-free-indian-food

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 03:58:57 PM »

When I worked for the BBC I went around taking panoramic 360 photos of religious buildings of various faiths, one of the best things I ever did. Every single person was unfailing lovely and confused by this camera which I set up on a tripod and crouched beneath to take the phone. The Buddhist Vihara was my favourite though, very chill - almost tempted me to go Buddhist.
Killerkilsby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »

Sunday was visit my mosque day.  I hadn't heard of visit my mosque day before today,  but it must be a positive thing in communities where people tend to live separate lives. 

There was a statistic given that less than 1 in 10 UK people have visited a mosque.   Given muslims make up a little less than 5% of the population, then that probably becomes only 1 in 20 of the non-muslim population.  I am guessing the vast majority of those will have visited a church or cathedral at some time.

I have been to a few mosques when on visits and also attended one as part of a wedding. 

I was just wondering what keeps the rest away?  If I had never been, I'd be tempted to go along just for curiosity.   

So I have attended this event for the past 2 years. Its simply brilliant and I would encorage people to go. They also put on a lovely buffet but hey when in Rome!

I basically prepped them via Muslim colleagues that i wanted to have an educational but controversial conversation and understand things better.
Topics we addressed were:

Veil
Bhurka
ISIS
Role of Women in Islam
Restrictions (Alcohol/Gambling) etc

Sounds highly controversial but debated and questioned in the right way its very educational. I am conufsed by some of those points, so instead of being ignorant why not ask the experts direct.

Replies were brilliant, atmosphere lovely and I learnt alot, free day out on a Sunday too!

Caveat - Although I was in a religious place I still ran terrible in my Sunday Session!
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:48:05 AM »

Scouring Malta for sikh temples.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »

A+

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »

Disastrous times for Vinni.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43124259

Click to see full-size image.

Interesting use of the word "several" in that poster. 646 of their stores were closed this morning.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »

KFC's are 95% franchised. Doesn't that mean that the franchisee's would have a claim for loss of earnings against the franchisers?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: