blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Nerdy wordy people only please.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nerdy wordy people only please.  (Read 3474 times)
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 07:14:19 PM »

So nerdy wordy people of Blonde, would BBQ be an initialism or an acronym? I'm guessing an acronym but i cant get my head around the fact that BBQ does not spell out or sound like 'Bar-Be-Que' so surely this makes it an initialism? But then again BBQ is not read out as 'Be-Be-Que'

Think it's a gramogram.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »

So nerdy wordy people of Blonde, would BBQ be an initialism or an acronym? I'm guessing an acronym but i cant get my head around the fact that BBQ does not spell out or sound like 'Bar-Be-Que' so surely this makes it an initialism? But then again BBQ is not read out as 'Be-Be-Que'

Think it's a gramogram.

New one on me, but it looks to be right.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 07:33:31 PM »

Think it's a gramogram.

Looks rightish but still does not compute for me due to the different sounds each B generates. Unless you say 'Bee Bee Queue' rather than 'Bar Bee Queue' and surely if you say the former then you should never have the delight of attending a BBQ

Ah! The element of surprise
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »

The cooking method is not barbecuing, it's grilling in an outside environment. Barbecuing is a completely seperate thing. I guess the event itself can be called a BBQ I suppose.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »

Think it's a gramogram.

Looks rightish but still does not compute for me due to the different sounds each B generates. Unless you say 'Bee Bee Queue' rather than 'Bar Bee Queue' and surely if you say the former then you should never have the delight of attending a BBQ

http://www.wikiomni.com/pages/Acronym_and_initialism

I *think* we could say that BBQ is written Bee Bee Cue (as it's quicker to write) but we pronounce it barbecue (as it's just as quick to say as BBQ), so BBQ is just a shorthand stimulus for us to read "barbecue".

That would mean BBQ is actually a gramogram.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: