blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:45:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  'Rake changes at 'Stars
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Rake changes at 'Stars  (Read 4681 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »

Seems that 'Stars are increasing the reg fee on MTT's up to $20, and reducing reg fees on Timed Tourneys.

The amounts have not been announced yet as far as I can see. The way the price is displayed in the Lobby has changed though, instead of, say, $20 + $2, it will now just say $22, or whatever, & you have to fiddle around to see the actual reg fee.

The changes take effect on Monday.

https://uk.pokernews.com/news/2018/03/pokerstars-announces-pricing-changes-as-of-march-26-30217.htm

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »

Seems that 'Stars are increasing the reg fee on MTT's up to $20, and reducing reg fees on Timed Tourneys.

The amounts have not been announced yet as far as I can see. The way the price is displayed in the Lobby has changed though, instead of, say, $20 + $2, it will now just say $22, or whatever, & you have to fiddle around to see the actual reg fee.

The changes take effect on Monday.

https://uk.pokernews.com/news/2018/03/pokerstars-announces-pricing-changes-as-of-march-26-30217.htm

Pretty certain it’s not said 22+2 for ages as it’s just displayed as 22 on the front page and you have to go to the structure page to see the rake which itself is increasing to even more.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »

I believe DNegs said that the increased rake will make those tourneys less attractive to regs and therefore much better value for recs.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »

I believe DNegs said that the increased rake will make those tourneys less attractive to regs and therefore much better value for recs.

He's probably correct though isn't he?

Looks like they'd be happy completely getting rid of the regs in favour of the recs who don't care if they win because it's just for fun.

Might mean more deposits and more churning of winnings back in to rake rather than sucking money out of the site to pay for rent, heat and food.

I'd much rather play in an easier game with 20% rake than feel like I was surrounded by sharks using me to pay their bills.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:53:25 PM »

C'mon man - don't be sucked in to this line of thinking. They are raising rake on tournies below $22. Not too many 'sharks' down there in the Big 11 and the Hot 7.50. Just a bunch of recs who probably won't even know that the rake has gone up because of the very nontransparent way Stars chooses to display it. Not one cent of that extra rake goes back into the poker economy. It goes into the pockets of Amaya shareholders.

Looks like they'd be happy completely getting rid of the regs in favour of the recs who don't care if they win because it's just for fun.

Might mean more deposits and more churning of winnings back in to rake rather than sucking money out of the site to pay for rent, heat and food.

I'd much rather play in an easier game with 20% rake than feel like I was surrounded by sharks using me to pay their bills.

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »

C'mon man - don't be sucked in to this line of thinking. They are raising rake on tournies below $22. Not too many 'sharks' down there in the Big 11 and the Hot 7.50. Just a bunch of recs who probably won't even know that the rake has gone up because of the very nontransparent way Stars chooses to display it. Not one cent of that extra rake goes back into the poker economy. It goes into the pockets of Amaya shareholders.

Agree with bergeroo wholeheartedly here, I'd also like to add that without regular players the games just won't be able to run the way they do now. Imagine if the only traffic going to stars was recreational players - guarantees would have to be tiny because you wouldn't be getting anything in the way of regular business, cash games would barely ever run, you'd be waiting ages for a sit n go to fill up...

All the hate the regs/pros get is nonsensical when you actually think about, partially because they will always be there. If every reg stopped playing tomorrow, then some of the recs would start winning more often, enjoy playing more than they do and become regs. They'd then feel more motivated to try and learn to keep this great feeling of being a winning player and before you know it you've got a new generation of pros, it's an inevitable part of the game.

I wish that operators in general would realise that blanket pissing of the regs is ultimately not good for anyone, much better to work on limiting how predatory the games can be instead.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »

$10 + $1 tournaments are now $9.80 + $1.20.

22.4% increase in rake. Trebles all round.

Click to see full-size image.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »

The games ran much better when we mainly recs back in the day.   

Stars have got rid of more O8 hypers too.  So only one $15 and one $30 hyper can run at once.  It is pretty destructive as there is now a wait betwern games which can't encourage play.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »

Always been a decent Dnegs fan, his handling of this topic though is so disingenuous and he knows exactly how misleading he is attempting to be. He is very blatenly mugging everyone (pros and recs) off showing a real lack of awareness ad a lot of arrogance that he can just say whatever he wants and everyone will buy it because he is DN.

Yes, the less competitive the games the less players with a negative expectation will lose (in terms of $ per hand) that's true. However there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest making the rake high will price out the best players, in fact, quite the contrary it prices out the smallest winners/smallest losers and they either no longer win, or their losses will deteriorate to be more severe. The games will not become more competitive the games become more cut-throat - the "filler players" go and the top pros reailse that the profit in the games now is to skin the losers as fast as possible, the guys capable of winning and winning quickly stay and everyone is paying the stars group a hefty increase for these so called improvements in conditions.

The nice thing about rake too, is that there is zero variance, you can play someone at poker with a 2/3/4/5/6bb per 100 hands disadvantage and run way over expectation, there is no way to run good with the rake you pay it no matter what.

There is no protecting the players, it's a money grab - they see that players lose X and a certain % is going to the pros and they want it to be higher, it's a straightforward as that.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »

I saw they mentioned reducing rake on "timed" MTTs. Do we still have these on stars UK as Beat The Clock ones seem to have disappeared?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »

Always been a decent Dnegs fan, his handling of this topic though is so disingenuous and he knows exactly how misleading he is attempting to be. He is very blatenly mugging everyone (pros and recs) off showing a real lack of awareness ad a lot of arrogance that he can just say whatever he wants and everyone will buy it because he is DN.

Yes, the less competitive the games the less players with a negative expectation will lose (in terms of $ per hand) that's true. However there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest making the rake high will price out the best players, in fact, quite the contrary it prices out the smallest winners/smallest losers and they either no longer win, or their losses will deteriorate to be more severe. The games will not become more competitive the games become more cut-throat - the "filler players" go and the top pros reailse that the profit in the games now is to skin the losers as fast as possible, the guys capable of winning and winning quickly stay and everyone is paying the stars group a hefty increase for these so called improvements in conditions.

The nice thing about rake too, is that there is zero variance, you can play someone at poker with a 2/3/4/5/6bb per 100 hands disadvantage and run way over expectation, there is no way to run good with the rake you pay it no matter what.

There is no protecting the players, it's a money grab - they see that players lose X and a certain % is going to the pros and they want it to be higher, it's a straightforward as that.

That is a great post and proves why you really get the game. 
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »

I just got an e-mail from 'stars promoting a new game they are going to be spreading - split holdem - two flops with the possibility of either scooping or splitting the pot.

I can't help but wonder if there will be any difference in how the pot will be raked should the pot be scooped or split.

This could be right up Evilpie's street if there's full rake on split pots.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:39:13 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »

I just got an e-mail from 'stars promoting a new game they are going to be spreading - split holdem - two flops with the possibility of either scooping or splitting the pot.

I can't help but wonder if there will be any difference in how the pot will be raked should the pot be scooped or split.

This could be right up Evilpie's street if there's full rake on split pots.

Not sure if its standard in live o8 games but Stars won't be reducing the rake, they don't in o8.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »

Love double flop

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: