blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Jeff Burke
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Burke  (Read 2370 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »

I'm told that Jeff Burke passed away yesterday, which is very sad news indeed.

He genuinely was years ahead of his time, & his looks belied a very fine poker player indeed.

I shared many a table with him down the years, but none more memorable than on a Ladbrokes poker cruise in around 2005.

At the time, the Scandies were all the rage and getting the lot, & Jeff & I ended up on a cash table with a bunch of drunken Scandie players who were being a bit too chirpy, taunting us by showing bluffs and generally being arses.

When they did it once too often, Jeff turned to me & whispered "keep out of this hand", & proceeded to take down a £6,000 pot by betting 3 of them off on the river, & then showing the old 4-2 which could not even beat the board. Not a man to mess with at the tables.

He was with one of the early staking operations, run by Conor Tate if I recall correctly, & I think he was with Bad Beat too.

They used to move players up when they proved they could beat a level, and Jeff was blitzing the £1 £2 game, but repeatedly refused to move up the levels. "This is my level, & I'm not moving up". God knows how much he won, but he seemed to print it.

Not a great MTT player, his best result was probably down at Brighton in 2004 - how about this for a Memory Lane of names from back in the day?

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=8324

Proper bloke, Jeff.

RIP mate.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »

Good table company,R.I.P Jeff.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »

Jeff was my boss, when I worked for Badbeat. Hilarious guy, and great to work for.

Spent a fair bit of time with him, on a number of trips over the years.

RIP an absolute legend.

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »

R.I.P Jeff .

Totally agree a wonderful  guy. Shared many a laugh and table  with him at Walsall festivals back in the day.

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »

Oh, horrible news.

Played for Badbeat back in the day and Jeff was my mentor. Top class player and top class bloke.

RIP.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: