blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Fire, fire!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fire, fire!  (Read 2228 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »

Just seen fire alarm says replace by 2015. Replacing a fire alarm looks complicated and something I should not attempt on my own. Call an electrician? It does currently function fine and I've replaced battery.

Also, if house burned down, would insurance pay out if fire alarm was found to be out of date?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 11:31:43 PM »

Do you mean a smoke alarm?   Does it not just not come off the wall?  If it has a battery, there shouldn't be any electrics to worry about?   i bought a couple of smoke alarms when I moved in the house, and don't think they were expensive or hard to stick to the wall.

Wouldn't the fire alarm be outside the flat?

I wouldn't have thought having a working fire/smoke alarm was going to invalidate the insurance unless you have said you have a fire alarm and it isn't fit for purpose.  There is a big difference between insurers though, and some look much harder than others to refuse claims.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:47:58 AM »

Some fire alarms especially in rental properties are both battery and linked to electric. Think it’s a backstop to protect tenants if battery fails.
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »

Yeah I think new ones have to be wired to the mains
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

Our local fire service offers a free fire alarm and installation. Battery powered only.
Give yours a call maybe.

Or, Screwfix/Toolstation both sell all you need.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »

Most surprised by this, assumed Alex had a little man to sort these matters for him. Finding it hard to imagine Alex getting his hands dirty.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »

Smoke Alarm/ Fire Alarm who knows?! It's inside the flat, yes. If you twist it clockwise it comes off the ceiling and hangs by the wires that are connected to it. It's battery powered but there are wires coming from the ceiling that plug into the alarm. If i replaced it I'd have to get the same model so that the wires would match up. And wiring it doesn't look easy either.

Absolute novice here as you can tell!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »

Smoke Alarm/ Fire Alarm who knows?! It's inside the flat, yes. If you twist it clockwise it comes off the ceiling and hangs by the wires that are connected to it. It's battery powered but there are wires coming from the ceiling that plug into the alarm. If i replaced it I'd have to get the same model so that the wires would match up. And wiring it doesn't look easy either.

Absolute novice here as you can tell!

Lecky fish.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »

Alex
Get the Fire brigade out to have a look. Firstly they will fit new smoke detectors if needed. More importantly, they will risk assess your property and advise on best escape routes in case there is a fire.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »

Fire service website suggests they won't help with hard-wired alarms though:

Unfortunately we are can’t provide maintenance or service for hard-wired alarms. If the property is rented please contact your landlord for advice. If the property is owned by you then the problem may still be a low battery that you can replace yourself, alternatively you may need to contact a qualified electrician.

http://www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safety/home-safety/smoke-alarms/

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
cish n fhips

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »

Unscrew top off,take picture withe phone or draw picture of wire set up.Take cover and picture
to electrical supplier rather than diy place.He will give you direct replacement.Go home find fuse board.
Flick smoke a larm fuse off.Dissconnect an replace.Two tools required small flat head screwdriver
for wire terminals and cross head screwdriver for screw that attatch rose to ceiling.Job jobbed.
Dependant on location my need step ladders.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: