blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Leave no stone unreturned...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leave no stone unreturned...  (Read 5068 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

Has anybody read the article?

I was about to comment then thought I should have a gander and it all seems very clear and fine to me.

It states that Cornwall Council 'owns' 57 beaches so that clears that one up nicely.

It also states "Removing stones from public beaches is illegal under The Coastal Protection Act 1949"

So where's the problem?

They make the valid point that removing stones from the beach affects coastal erosion, natural flood defences and wildlife habitats. One obviously won't hurt but it isn't just one, it's probably thousands and would most likely be a lot more if they didn't actively discourage it.

I know it sounds petty going after someone for taking a few stones as souvenirs but if you let them get away with that what's to stop someone taking them to build a rockery in their garden? If people didn't take the piss I imagine they wouldn't mind but unfortunately at some point it's become such a problem that they've had to take drastic measures and enforce those measures.

Spoilsport.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 01:55:55 PM »

Sand theft is a serious problem, as the construction industry continues to gobble up the scarce resource of sand that takes thousands of years to replace. It may be hard to believe, but the world is running out of sand.

Beach theft, ie stealing a whole beach, is also a real thing, but less of a problem.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

Getting back to the topic, & Mr Mint said that it was theft, implying that the beach belonged to someone.

So who owns the beach? And why don't they charge rent for access?

There is a thing in law that says signs must be displayed if something is private property, failing which we have the right to access. Beaches don't display such signage, as far as I am aware?

Probably the same reason as council's don't charge for access to parks etc.

You couldn't just take a bench from a park and expect to get away with it.

A park bench costs money to buy & install, and someone - the local Council usually - would have paid for it, so no, we can't steal a park bench, that's a clear case of theft. You can't steal a fence, for the same reason, though I suppose we could sit on it.  

Nobody ever stopped us, as kids, from picking wild blackberries from a roadside verge. Is that stealing?

A pebble on a beach, or a grain of sand, or shingle, was not supplied, manufactured or installed by anyone, Nature just left it there.

It's no different, really, from fresh water, which water companies harvest & sell to us. Rainwater - which is where we get all our domestic water from -  does not belong to anyone does it? It just falls out of the sky, & folks are allowed to take it home, so to speak.

It's all very confusing, though I suppose, all things considered, of little import.

I wonder who criminals sell stolen fences to?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »

Ooh, very good.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 10:24:54 PM »

My mum lived in Salisbury and used to play on the Stonehenge stones. Then tourists arrived and each took a little chip of the stones home as a souvenir, so selfish. They figured in very short order there would be no Stonehenge left. So they built a fence around and charged a million pounds for entry. When I went I hurdled the wire determined to get a chip for myself. All hell broke out, it was like that scene from the Great Escape when the searchlights came back on. I'm like but it's just a little chip right? right?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 10:32:04 PM »

My mum lived in Salisbury and used to play on the Stonehenge stones. Then tourists arrived and each took a little chip of the stones home as a souvenir, so selfish. They figured in very short order there would be no Stonehenge left. So they built a fence around and charged a million pounds for entry. When I went I hurdled the wire determined to get a chip for myself. All hell broke out, it was like that scene from the Great Escape when the searchlights came back on. I'm like but it's just a little chip right? right?

Having to pay to go through a fence to see Stonehenge would make me feel entitled to take a chip.

Is culture only for the well off these days?

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »

Continuing with great titles, David Attenborough on cheetah cubs- Growing up Fast.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 11:42:39 PM »

Seems like we are between a rock and a hard place trying to working out the legalities of this scenario.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: