blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Advice on Salary increase request.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on Salary increase request.  (Read 9865 times)
Omm

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »

I’ve got that age old problem of trying to get a higher salary. I really think my employer is being unreasonable and more so just the area manager not fighting my corner.

I’m sure lots of you have been in this situation before so any advice would be appreciated.

I love the company I work for and have been there on and off for 7 years. On my area there are 16 stores and out of that I have the most experience (13 managers under 1 years service, shows the rate at which we are growing). I’d been at the same store for 3 years and have always done what I needed to do with regards to performance. I’ve had yearly salary increases of 2.5% (same as all other managers) I’ve had a bonus every year however the % has been decreasing from 30% down to 21% last year (managers bonus is yearly based on hitting certain KPI’s and the company achieving its targets).

Anyway our peak season runs from Sept to End of Nov and we spend July and August preparing for it. At the end of August a manager left suddenly and I was asked (I was always going to have to go) to take over the largest turnover store on the area and 20/620 on company. The immediate financial benefit to me was the travelling distance.

When I was doing the handover of the store it was painfully obvious that the store was massively mis managed, under performing and would actual change my life due to the time of year and amount of work I had to do, particularly as no prep had been done for peak. I requested that my salary get looked at due to this and was told that my bonus could be protected but I was outside the salary banding for the store, I.e I already earnt to much. (Which also meant I was lied to by my previous area manager when I asked about a salary increase about 18months ago in my previous store which was a banding higher, being told I was already at the top of the banding). Just to clarify the salary banding do not go on turnover but Area, I.e a manager in London will have more due to weighting.

After a lot of thinking about it  I decided that in the long run I could use this move to further my career (which s important to me). However i can’t stop thinking that I’m being taken advantage of, it’s not the 1st time I’ve had to go into a store and clean up other people’s mess and the fact that this guy was the area managers right hand man angers me even more as he was obviously allowed to get away with it. Although there are salary banding I know it’s possible to do more than this as I fought with my previous area manager to get my 2 deputies the money that they got because of the work we were doing.

I’m seeing the area manager this week for a 1-2-1 and although I feel like just playing chicken and handing in my 4 weeks notice because of my pay it probably not the best thing to do with 3 kids (although I am prepared to leave over it my wife really wants me to have a job first).

I think what I’m going to do is let her know again that I’m unhappy about not getting a salary increase and how it has changed my personal life, she insisted at the time that she didn’t want it to change my work/life balance but in the real world I can’t be successful without doing whatever is needed. (I now work more hours and play poker about once a week where in my previous shop I would play 4/5 times a week, hence I also losing that bit of pocket money). Also that I am starting to look for a new job because of it.

Also just to be clear I’m not asking or wanting tens of thousands, I would ideally want 4K and would have a problem accepting 2k but even that is not on offer.

(This actually sounds ridiculous writing these amounts down but I really cannot get over the fact that I’m being treated this way, especially knowing full well that an external manager can come into the company now and get about 8k more than what I earn, when I joined the company I was one of the highest paid managers as I negotiated what I wanted, because of my illness it affected what I earn now, long story but I left and came back and then wasn’t in a strong position to negotiate.)

Anybody got any advice on how to handle it?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »

Don't make personal comparisons within the company.
Don't appear to whine
Don't use the fact  yr putting in more hours than yr paid for.
Don't give ultimatums.

Do explain that you've looked at the market rates for the role and they are higher than yr paid
Do emphasize the impact you bring in the role and the impact you have on profitability
Do emphasize the plans you have for improvement and the benefits that has for your boss
Do tell him yr conclusion that, irrespective of notional bandings you believe the role you play merits a higher reward
Do ask directly for a significant increase
Do agree a timescale for a response from them

sola virtus nobilitat
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »

Don't appear to whine
Don't give ultimatums.

Do explain that you've looked at the market rates for the role and they are higher than yr paid
Do emphasize the impact you bring in the role and the impact you have on profitability
Do emphasize the plans you have for improvement and the benefits that has for your boss
Do tell him yr conclusion that, irrespective of notional bandings you believe the role you play merits a higher reward

Pretty much spot on.

I've done this so far for new shop, KPIs are up by x.
I really enjoy working here and my plans are to further improve those KPIs to y which will be a win-win-win for me, you and the company.
The market is buoyant and current salary + 8/10k is not unrealistic. My preference would be to stay where I'm valued but I do need to see that reflected in my package.

Alternatively, you have a good story to tell in interviews. Get out there and see what's available. No harm in trying.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »

Thanks guys, glad I posted, the emotion when you are feeling hard done by always seems to take over. Some great advice, keeping it relevant, positive and direct can only help me. I’ll let you know how I get on.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »

Good luck Omm

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »

Don't appear to whine
Don't give ultimatums.

Pretty much spot on.

I've done this so far for new shop, KPIs are up by x.
I really enjoy working here and my plans are to further improve those KPIs to y which will be a win-win-win for me, you and the company.
The market is buoyant and current salary + 8/10k is not unrealistic. My preference would be to stay where I'm valued but I do need to see that reflected in my package.

Alternatively, you have a good story to tell in interviews. Get out there and see what's available. No harm in trying.

I would only disagree with the ‘Dont give ultimatums’ Only give an ultimatum if you are prepared to follow it through.

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »

Also remember that there might only so much they can do with salaries. Often the 2.5% you quote might be the standard across the board and your boss may only have a little extra in the budget to give to either top performers or those whose salaries are at the bottom end of the pay scale.

Either way Nirvana’s suggestion is the way to get you to the top of that list. GL
alanc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »

I agree with what has been posted. You have to present your case well otherwise you'll be giving your bosses reasons for not giving you that rise. From my previous experience of over 20 years in retail management, been away a few years now though, if you want a significant rise in your salary you have to seriously think about looking externally.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:30:29 PM »

I agree with what has been posted. You have to present your case well otherwise you'll be giving your bosses reasons for not giving you that rise. From my previous experience of over 20 years in retail management, been away a few years now though, if you want a significant rise in your salary you have to seriously think about looking externally.

Same in my industry, best way to get your salary up quicker is to move for better salaries a couple of times over the course of a period of time that doesn’t make you look like a flake.....so maybe 3-4 years.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:44 PM »

Firstly you need to extract emotion out of the situation because this is business.

If an employee raised your particular situation with me during a 1-2-1 this is what I would say. Why are you feeling hard done by or under-valued? Out of all the managers in the group we choose you to turn this outlet around, we trust you. In fact we have so much faith in you we're happy to over-pay you for the banding of this store. I would try and build better engagement from you in the task ahead through reassurance, words and vague promises about future movement.

The reality is your area manager will have KPIs to hit and considering she is already paying you more than the band there won't be any wriggle room. She will undoubtedly be under pressure to reduce payroll and so any case you present about personal circumstances will be irrelevant. If you leave she can get a cheaper alternative and reduce payroll so every cloud and all that.

My advice....

a) Salary jumps come from moving company so simply look for alternatives.
b) Don't leave in the meantime. Aside from walking away from your current income what are you saying in your next interview? That the company showed faith in you to take on this important challenge and you quit? Doesn't sound like the sort of leader I'd want to employ.
c) In the 1-2-1 simply ask what are her plans for your salary. Then say nothing and let her talk. Any additional pressure will be futile.

GL & let us know what happens

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 11:16:30 AM »

No good people.

I took most of the advice on here. Prepared a presentation of what I have achieve in the last 8 weeks, what my plans are for the next 2 months and then into the first qtr of the new financial year. Spoke through in detail about every member of staff (16) and management (5) and what development I have in place with them. Spoke about the two biggest challenges I have faced and where I think I can do better as well as what my plan is long term for these. After discussing all this I said that I was disappointed that nothing could be done with my salary when I had originally asked and could we look at this again. ( I went silent Mantis). The response I got was "Its a different banding store, not much i can do".

Now remember ive been asked to run the biggest turnover and challenging store on the area yet according to the bandings a store with half the turnover that's in a higher banding (less than 6 miles from me) is entitled (and actually gets) to a higher salary, no matter if he is capable of doing the job.

Anyway, I explained that I was honoured to have been asked to take on this challenge and it showed that they thought I was capable of doing the job to the standard expected, I have demonstrated what a difference I have made in just 8 weeks and in the long term the store, people within it, area and company will be in a much better position, (I did not get emotional)however I felt that I showed enthusiasm to get the job done, even though I am working in the most difficult of circumstances. I explained because of all of this I would like to think that she would think that it was worth rewarding me significantly for the job that I am doing, one which they have asked me to do at the busiest time of year without any preparation. The response I got was "Its a different banding to the previous store, I will discuss it at the year end appraisals with the boss"

As much as I am glad I have dealt with it in the way that you guys have advised and I am pleased with how I have pointed out what value I add to the company I really do feel I know how this is going to pan out:

1) I will find a new job and be offered a much higher salary
2) I will resign with 4 weeks notice and give my honest reasons why i.e Salary
3) I will get a counter offer which will be very annoying that it wasn't offered in the first place.
4) Ill end up leaving because loyalty is no longer worth anything. As a few of you have already said, nowadays to get anything decent you have to move companies.

Summary is im pleased with the advice and how i put my case together but i always knew that getting a new role will be the only thing my boss listens to and by then it will be to late.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 11:20:29 AM »

No good people.

I took most of the advice on here. Prepared a presentation of what I have achieve in the last 8 weeks, what my plans are for the next 2 months and then into the first qtr of the new financial year. Spoke through in detail about every member of staff (16) and management (5) and what development I have in place with them. Spoke about the two biggest challenges I have faced and where I think I can do better as well as what my plan is long term for these. After discussing all this I said that I was disappointed that nothing could be done with my salary when I had originally asked and could we look at this again. ( I went silent Mantis). The response I got was "Its a different banding store, not much i can do".

Now remember ive been asked to run the biggest turnover and challenging store on the area yet according to the bandings a store with half the turnover that's in a higher banding (less than 6 miles from me) is entitled (and actually gets) to a higher salary, no matter if he is capable of doing the job.

Anyway, I explained that I was honoured to have been asked to take on this challenge and it showed that they thought I was capable of doing the job to the standard expected, I have demonstrated what a difference I have made in just 8 weeks and in the long term the store, people within it, area and company will be in a much better position, (I did not get emotional)however I felt that I showed enthusiasm to get the job done, even though I am working in the most difficult of circumstances. I explained because of all of this I would like to think that she would think that it was worth rewarding me significantly for the job that I am doing, one which they have asked me to do at the busiest time of year without any preparation. The response I got was "Its a different banding to the previous store, I will discuss it at the year end appraisals with the boss"

As much as I am glad I have dealt with it in the way that you guys have advised and I am pleased with how I have pointed out what value I add to the company I really do feel I know how this is going to pan out:

3) I will get a counter offer which will be very annoying that it wasn't offered in the first place.
4) Ill end up leaving because loyalty is no longer worth anything. As a few of you have already said, nowadays to get anything decent you have to move companies.

Summary is im pleased with the advice and how i put my case together but i always knew that getting a new role will be the only thing my boss listens to and by then it will be to late.

Take your pay off inveest in betfair and start laying and backing dogs son.  Give it a spin.  You never know.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »

No good people.

Couple of things.....

One of you is kidding yourself as there is an obvious mismatch in the attitude towards your worth.

I would suggest that you look for another job, resign as planned and see what their counter offer is and then re access.

I don't think you should leave on principal, if you get another job your going to find out exactly where you stand.
As long as you have a real offer in your hand then you are in the driving seat.

I would be looking to discuss the counter offer with someone higher, explaining your disappointment in how undervalued you felt, and to stay they would need to beat your new job offer and put together a firm plan of how both your job and salary is going to progress over the next 5 years.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »

No good people.

Take your pay off inveest in betfair and start laying and backing dogs son.  Give it a spin.  You never know.

The Dream! However I always found I work much better when I'm with other people. Im one of life's dreamers, I think I am good enough to be a poker pro but in reality im shit, lol. Fell into retail and cant seem to get out of it.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »

In reality you probably aren’t getting a rise outside of the payrises that follow the usual end of year review process/possibly mid year review anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: