blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Advice on Salary increase request.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on Salary increase request.  (Read 9863 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »

No good people.

I took most of the advice on here. Prepared a presentation of what I have achieve in the last 8 weeks, what my plans are for the next 2 months and then into the first qtr of the new financial year. Spoke through in detail about every member of staff (16) and management (5) and what development I have in place with them. Spoke about the two biggest challenges I have faced and where I think I can do better as well as what my plan is long term for these. After discussing all this I said that I was disappointed that nothing could be done with my salary when I had originally asked and could we look at this again. ( I went silent Mantis). The response I got was "Its a different banding store, not much i can do".

Now remember ive been asked to run the biggest turnover and challenging store on the area yet according to the bandings a store with half the turnover that's in a higher banding (less than 6 miles from me) is entitled (and actually gets) to a higher salary, no matter if he is capable of doing the job.

Anyway, I explained that I was honoured to have been asked to take on this challenge and it showed that they thought I was capable of doing the job to the standard expected, I have demonstrated what a difference I have made in just 8 weeks and in the long term the store, people within it, area and company will be in a much better position, (I did not get emotional)however I felt that I showed enthusiasm to get the job done, even though I am working in the most difficult of circumstances. I explained because of all of this I would like to think that she would think that it was worth rewarding me significantly for the job that I am doing, one which they have asked me to do at the busiest time of year without any preparation. The response I got was "Its a different banding to the previous store, I will discuss it at the year end appraisals with the boss"

As much as I am glad I have dealt with it in the way that you guys have advised and I am pleased with how I have pointed out what value I add to the company I really do feel I know how this is going to pan out:

1) I will find a new job and be offered a much higher salary
2) I will resign with 4 weeks notice and give my honest reasons why i.e Salary
3) I will get a counter offer which will be very annoying that it wasn't offered in the first place.
4) Ill end up leaving because loyalty is no longer worth anything. As a few of you have already said, nowadays to get anything decent you have to move companies.

Summary is im pleased with the advice and how i put my case together but i always knew that getting a new role will be the only thing my boss listens to and by then it will be to late.

Take your pay off inveest in betfair and start laying and backing dogs son.  Give it a spin.  You never know.

The Dream! However I always found I work much better when I'm with other people. Im one of life's dreamers, I think I am good enough to be a poker pro but in reality im shit, lol. Fell into retail and cant seem to get out of it.

Will always be a dream and an unknown until you actually give it a spin.  You never know until you give it a proper shot if you can do it
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »

Think I have worked out who Omm works for, & if I'm right, they are seriously tough people to try to bargain with.

Anyway, whatever happens, GL mate.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »

This is the nut-worst time to be giving it a spin as a pro punterer on any sport. Game's dead.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »

You dealt with it like a pro - now you can go and get another job knowing you made the effort.

Although the original post was how about how to go about things - obvs tend to agree with others who mention significant salary progress tends only to come with significant changes to the role, internally or more usually by moving on.

sola virtus nobilitat
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »

Feels like NIrvana should give you the money he cost you with his strategy.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »

Feels like NIrvana should give you the money he cost you with his strategy.

Haha, I was so sure of myself too

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:28 PM »

No good people.

I took most of the advice on here. Prepared a presentation of what I have achieve in the last 8 weeks, what my plans are for the next 2 months and then into the first qtr of the new financial year. Spoke through in detail about every member of staff (16) and management (5) and what development I have in place with them. Spoke about the two biggest challenges I have faced and where I think I can do better as well as what my plan is long term for these. After discussing all this I said that I was disappointed that nothing could be done with my salary when I had originally asked and could we look at this again. ( I went silent Mantis). The response I got was "Its a different banding store, not much i can do".

Now remember ive been asked to run the biggest turnover and challenging store on the area yet according to the bandings a store with half the turnover that's in a higher banding (less than 6 miles from me) is entitled (and actually gets) to a higher salary, no matter if he is capable of doing the job.

Anyway, I explained that I was honoured to have been asked to take on this challenge and it showed that they thought I was capable of doing the job to the standard expected, I have demonstrated what a difference I have made in just 8 weeks and in the long term the store, people within it, area and company will be in a much better position, (I did not get emotional)however I felt that I showed enthusiasm to get the job done, even though I am working in the most difficult of circumstances. I explained because of all of this I would like to think that she would think that it was worth rewarding me significantly for the job that I am doing, one which they have asked me to do at the busiest time of year without any preparation. The response I got was "Its a different banding to the previous store, I will discuss it at the year end appraisals with the boss"

As much as I am glad I have dealt with it in the way that you guys have advised and I am pleased with how I have pointed out what value I add to the company I really do feel I know how this is going to pan out:

1) I will find a new job and be offered a much higher salary
2) I will resign with 4 weeks notice and give my honest reasons why i.e Salary
3) I will get a counter offer which will be very annoying that it wasn't offered in the first place.
4) Ill end up leaving because loyalty is no longer worth anything. As a few of you have already said, nowadays to get anything decent you have to move companies.

Summary is im pleased with the advice and how i put my case together but i always knew that getting a new role will be the only thing my boss listens to and by then it will be to late.

It's exactly the same when I re-negotiate my Sky TV contract. They say they can't offer me a better deal, I cancel my subscription, (whilst secretly letting my daughter sign up as a new customer) and as soon as the cancellation is complete they offer me, as a valued customer, a stonking deal to come back into the fold.

The next year, my daughter cancels, I sign up as a new customer, they offer her a stonking deal to come back.

It's madness.

The older I get, the better I was.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:36 PM »

when you tender your notice they wont counter offer mate

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »

when you tender your notice they wont counter offer mate

Now speaking on behalf of both the British nation and Omms employer.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »

It’s absolutely incredible, if you’ve paid any attention at all to this forum in the last decade, that there was a life important situation and one of the bits of advice you seem to have taken on board was from Mantis. It’s really irresponsible for him to post it, unbelievable that it seems you listened to it.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 09:22:59 AM »

It’s absolutely incredible, if you’ve paid any attention at all to this forum in the last decade, that there was a life important situation and one of the bits of advice you seem to have taken on board was from Mantis. It’s really irresponsible for him to post it, unbelievable that it seems you listened to it.

I guess important to note that it doesn’t seem like it made any difference. Going silent just isn’t usually a good idea though, it makes most people uncomfortable, it’s not a spot where you want them to be uncomfortable.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »

I guess important to note that it doesn’t seem like it made any difference. Going silent just isn’t usually a good idea though, it makes most people uncomfortable, it’s not a spot where you want them to be uncomfortable.

Completely disagree, anyone who knows anything about effective communication will use it as a standard tactic in certain situations. Anyone who says otherwise knows fk all about communication.....
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »

Just passing on my experience from 20yrs managing in large corporate business

Of course people are free to listen to the bedroom-dwellers instead.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »

Just passing on my experience from 20yrs managing in large corporate business

Of course people are free to listen to the bedroom-dwellers instead.

😂 So I form my opinion on every post you’ve ever made, thousands of them are flat out ridiculous. How did you form an opinion that I spend an above average amount of time in bedrooms?

Sorry for the derail Omm, nothing more from me on this. Good luck getting the salary you deserve.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »

Last business I managed I increased EBITDA from £100k to £1.1m in 3.5yrs. That doesn’t come from giving employees pay rises they think they deserve

The motivation and additional performance from pay rises is very temporary. About 2mths after a rise you adjust to the norm of the new salary and perform like you always have. In this instance the choice of the area manager is offering more pay to a seemingly disenchanted employee who’s already overpaid or get a fresh super engaged employee for much less. I’m afraid the employer doesn’t give one fuck about Omm. I can speak for his employer because that’s how 99% of employers feel these days. Could be wrong though and perhaps he will get showered with a big pay rise, company car and exciting new incentives.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: