blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Is obesity a disease?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is obesity a disease?  (Read 7439 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »

Is it fcuk. (IMO of course)

https://news.sky.com/story/call-for-obesity-to-be-reclassified-as-a-disease-11597486

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »

Technically yes

Disease

noun
a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

Ah! The element of surprise
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »

At least I've got an excuse now Grin

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »

Technically yes

Disease

noun
a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

That definition doesn't seem to fit obesity though.

An organ or system in your body can go wrong which can result in obesity - that would mean that obesity isn't the 'disease' (it's the symptom); the disease is whatever went wrong to cause it.

And obviously 999/1000 or higher it's nothing going wrong anyway it's just environmental - if you eat too much your body is meant to store the extra fat, the obesity caused by that is your body working as it should do.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »

Technically yes

Disease

noun

That definition doesn't seem to fit obesity though.

An organ or system in your body can go wrong which can result in obesity - that would mean that obesity isn't the 'disease' (it's the symptom); the disease is whatever went wrong to cause it.

And obviously 999/1000 or higher it's nothing going wrong anyway it's just environmental - if you eat too much your body is meant to store the extra fat, the obesity caused by that is your body working as it should do.

I was thinking more about the bolded bit.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »

Heard this discussed today, someone commented “genes load the gun but we pull the trigger”

Seems a perfect description to me.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:00:43 AM »

Heard this discussed today, someone commented “genes load the gun but we pull the trigger”

Seems a perfect description to me.

It also comes back to the question of whether it fits the definition of, "..disordered or incorrectly functioning...";

for example there is an epigenetic*  outcome which can mean you are prone to getting fat because you had a grandparent who had a shortage of food as a baby.

So the symptom could be obesity - but it still wouldn't fit any definition of a disease being involved because it isn't disordered or incorrectly functioning. From an evolutionary point of view if you have a shortage of food as a baby your descendants for at least 2 or 3 generations are probably going to as well.

As mentioned in the linked article it might be useful in terms of dealing with obesity if it were classed as a disease but I don't see how it fits the technical definition. It's either a symptom of a disease or a side-affect of technological and environmental factors outpacing evolution.

*epigenetic - the same gene can have various proteins switched on or off depending on a number of factors, primarily environmental, so you can inherit the same gene but have a different outcome because of what did or didn't happen to you compared with someone else with that gene.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »

It's funny how perceptions change. When I was in my teens and my granny was match-making, she used to say things like, "Ooh, look at her our Tom Tom, what a lovely fat girl".

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »

It's funny how perceptions change. When I was in my teens and my granny was match-making, she used to say things like, "Ooh, look at her our Tom Tom, what a lovely fat girl".

Your granny was a bit mean calling you a fat girl.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »

Your granny was a bit mean calling you a fat girl.

Loooool

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »

It can only be classed as psychological disease.. the only way you get obese is by eating too much... thats not a disease its a choice. Its mentally where the issue may be such as low self esteem..depression etc may cause comfort eating... sticking too much food in your mouth is not a disease.. or you are just a lazy greedy sod who uses any excuse under the sun to justify your obesity.. Most common excuse is its my glands.. although this can be true it is rare.. people who say this are usually half way through their 4th doughnut and 8th can of coke

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »

Your personal trainer will get you there in the end.

Fwiw I agree though.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »

It can only be classed as psychological disease.. the only way you get obese is by eating too much... thats not a disease its a choice. Its mentally where the issue may be such as low self esteem..depression etc may cause comfort eating... sticking too much food in your mouth is not a disease.. or you are just a lazy greedy sod who uses any excuse under the sun to justify your obesity.. Most common excuse is its my glands.. although this can be true it is rare.. people who say this are usually half way through their 4th doughnut and 8th can of coke

WRONG!

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »

WRONG!

Listen to him, now he's off our firm and back in the baywatch gang, Vin Grin

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 02:34:51 PM »

WRONG!

Explain

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: