blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A Pro's evaluation on PT4 memory data collection wanted!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Pro's evaluation on PT4 memory data collection wanted!  (Read 11813 times)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 09:11:26 PM »

how much personal junk have you got? You're going to need a shed load of quilting patterns to fill 500 gig.

Putting the OS on a SSD is classic advice. Putting everything else on a HDD is also classic advice if it's 2012. The lack of a significant price difference makes it a no-brainer IMO.

And two physical discs has few downsides and lots of upside, improved performance, RAID resilience if you want, etc.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »

There's a similar thread in another forum I read. Someone has posted the stats for their HDD, regular SSD and NVMe SSD.

Why choose to buy a pushbike when a Ferrari is not much more?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »

Dumb question as I am looking for a new PC soon.   If one SSD breaks, does the whole PC fall over or does it carry on working on one?  Or does it depend on which it boots from, or something else? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »

Dumb question as I am looking for a new PC soon.   If one SSD breaks, does the whole PC fall over or does it carry on working on one?  Or does it depend on which it boots from, or something else? 

Sigh.....

Such basic stuff.

The older I get, the better I was.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »

Depends on which one it boots from, if the boot SSD dies then you will need to bypass it somehow to start the repair process.

If uptime is super important you can buy a motherboard that supports RAID. One flavour of RAID is to have two disks that both have a mirror image of each other. If one disk dies you can carry on working as if nothing happened and replace the dead disk at a convenient time.

tbh though, my RAID knowledge is 10+ years old so may be just as out of date as Nova's HDD guy :-)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »

This is such a useful & great thread it seems a shame it is in the relative backwater of "Internet Poker".

Would anyone object if we moved it across to the Rail for better visibility & feedback?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »

I don't mind at all Tony. Feel free!

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »

I don't mind at all Tony. Feel free!

Thanks Shaz, it's your thread so that's good enough for me. Red will probably post some fatuous argument but I ignore his ramblings.

It really is a top-class thread.

PS - I've almost got to the bottom of my PM backlog & will reply to your PM shortly, hopefully today. (PS - chuffed to bits for you).

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »

I've had a long detailed chat with my Computer guy and I have a couple of questions.

All of you say that all the poker stuff has to be on an SSD. He says that all the operating software should be on and SSD and then there is the other personal stuff too.

All the personal stuff can go on a normal Hard Drive.

With the SSD side of things, would you be ok with a 1tb SSD which could be partitioned into for example 25% operating system and the remainder poker (there would be a small amount for recovery) or would you insist on 2 separate SSD's and if so what would be your reasons for this?

tyia, Shaz

you should be imprisoned if you don't run you OS on the SSD   

but you also want the poker stuff on ssd so just dont get the most tiny one.  you likely wont need more than 256. 500 would be plenty. 1tb would be a farce tbh.
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2019, 10:54:42 PM »

I've had a long detailed chat with my Computer guy and I have a couple of questions.

All of you say that all the poker stuff has to be on an SSD. He says that all the operating software should be on and SSD and then there is the other personal stuff too.

All the personal stuff can go on a normal Hard Drive.

With the SSD side of things, would you be ok with a 1tb SSD which could be partitioned into for example 25% operating system and the remainder poker (there would be a small amount for recovery) or would you insist on 2 separate SSD's and if so what would be your reasons for this?

tyia, Shaz

you should be imprisoned if you don't run you OS on the SSD   

but you also want the poker stuff on ssd so just dont get the most tiny one.  you likely wont need more than 256. 500 would be plenty. 1tb would be a farce tbh.

So a partitioned one would be fine in your eyes? I want to sound out all valid opinions.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »

yeh 1 drive will be absolutely fine. you dont have to partition either. can if you want. but could be a faff if you try and be accurate and then Microsoft do a Microsoft and bring out an update where it jumps in size (like they usually do) 

as an example I have Windows and my poker databases and a few games on my 256gb SSD,  30gb space spare.

I use about 250gb on my hdd to store poker videos and other games I play less regularly.

I think I probably have more stuff than your average user.  thumbs up
Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2019, 08:36:11 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'm due to talk to my guy next week and I'll let you know a spec and any thoughts/reasons why we have gone for what we have. The budget also has to include a decent camera with an inbuilt mic, a new keyboard & mouse (I saw on on offer at ccl as a set) and the operating system.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:43:00 AM by Supernova » Logged

Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »

how much personal junk have you got? You're going to need a shed load of quilting patterns to fill 500 gig.

Putting the OS on a SSD is classic advice. Putting everything else on a HDD is also classic advice if it's 2012. The lack of a significant price difference makes it a no-brainer IMO.

And two physical discs has few downsides and lots of upside, improved performance, RAID resilience if you want, etc.

It's not just quilting patterns, it's all sorts of domestic stuff! I also have a growing collection of poker training videos too.

Supernova

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »

An exciting day for me, the computer will be hopefully be here today and here is what I went with:

CCL Customised Stryker PC
Comprising of:
1 x 3 Year On-Site Warranty Upgrade (UK Mainland only)
1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-Bit DVD (OEM)
1 x Corsair CX650 650W 80+ Bronze PSU
1 x Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 Liquid CPU Cooler
1 x Lite-On eBAU108 External DVD Writer Optical Drive
2 x Cooler Master MasterFan MF120L (120mm) Case Cooling Fan
2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4
1 x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
1 x MSI B450 TOMAHAWK AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
1 x Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 Gaming Case - Black
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Hexa Core (Socket AM4) CPU
1 x Gigabyte 480GB 2.5" SATA III SSD
1 x PowerColor Radeon RX 590 Red Dragon 8GB GPU
1 x Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019
1 x Logitech C270 HD Webcam (Black)
1 x CiT Avenger Illuminated USB Keyboard and Mouse (Black)
1 x Windows 10

I'm now looking at Google for how to transfer the programs and personal stuff from my old computer to the new one. You'd think that as I have an external HDD ready to use it would be simple enough but I'm seeing stuff that says that I need to buy something like PCmover Pro, and I didn't think I'd need that according to my pc man it would be pretty straightforward and he has gone for a long holiday after our discussions so any thoughts on an easy solution would be much appreciated.

tyia, Shaz

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »

My recommendation - copy 'My Documents', pictures, knitting patterns etc to the external drive and then copy them to the new PC. For programs, reinstall them from scratch, gives you a clean starting point rather than copying over old crap, orphaned registry keys etc. etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: