blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Changing tournament structure mid-comp to mitigate overlay, acceptable?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changing tournament structure mid-comp to mitigate overlay, acceptable?  (Read 9365 times)
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »

Tournament starts with a published structure and late entry until the end of level 8 which would be 25bb.

Without notice, level 4 is rolled back to be the same as level 3. No idea what the next levels are going to be.

Unacceptable or all's fair in love and war and overlays?

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »

Unacceptable unless the possibility is muted beforehand IMO.

The older I get, the better I was.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »

TD hopes there will be no more "mistakes".
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 04:16:25 PM »

Ha, arrived late in level 3 and didn't notice.  observant me.   where are you at?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »

Can't see it been anything other than a mistake and dare say that 20bbs vs 25bbs isn't going to make much difference.

I am only concerned with my bedtime and the fact I may be forced to rebuy now because of the potential overlay...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »

Red jumper, grey hair, 40k chips.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »

Red jumper, grey hair, 40k chips.

will say hello at the break.   am sat in front of you opposite padraig parkinson.

Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »

Tournament starts with a published structure and late entry until the end of level 8 which would be 25bb.

Without notice, level 4 is rolled back to be the same as level 3. No idea what the next levels are going to be.

I assume this is at the Lenton Shed? Their organisational skills would normally be above the level f making such a mistake.

Was the structure published beforehand?

I’ve been there when they added in an extra break to extend the time before entry closes which is less of a fudge.

Neither move is as bad as adding an extra Day 1 to the advertised schedule.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

I assume this is at the Lenton Shed? Their organisational skills would normally be above the level f making such a mistake.

I’ve been there when they added in an extra break to extend the time before entry closes which is less of a fudge.

But it's "due to popular demand"......

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 07:57:10 PM »

But it's "due to popular demand"......

Or "for the benefit of our travelling players"...

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »

big overlay, so nobody complaining here.  72 players, 50k guarantee.   Simon Trumper is in.

Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »

The structure was published in advance. They were also told during level 2 that the next level was displaying incorrectly but presumably they were unable and/or unwilling to change it.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 09:44:32 AM »

I see Phil "The Power" Clarke won it, top man with a great sense of humour.

Used to post on here once..

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »

I'll just add that there were only 5 new entries during the last break, and possibly some re-entries.  Nobody was discussing the extra level at my table at all; if anybody else noticed it I didn't hear them say anything anyway.  It seems the big overlay was much more significant than the extra level to me. 

The food service was pretty awful though; think that has always been the way. 

The comp was a bit mixed ability, but I didn't play that well and I got schooled by the fella on my left in the last couple of levels.  It was definitely worth showing up for.

bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:25:47 PM »

I was very surprised by the overlays in all the side events.

Did everyone just do their brains in the Colossus the week before? Was it because of no direct satties to the side events and people don't like the PPL$ system? People prefer to go do Dublin this week?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: