blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Brighton sack Chris Hughton.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brighton sack Chris Hughton.  (Read 4184 times)
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »

I was as surprised as anyone regarding this sacking, but Brighton had deteriorated having won just three of their last 23 league games and none of their final nine.

Tony Bloom will have had a mountain of stats at his fingertips, and could analyse them better than any other club owner. He has probably made the right judgement but it will be interesting to see who he gets in as the replacement.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »

I don’t think there is an expectation from Tony Bloom, or the fan base, that transitioning from Hughton to another manager will suddenly transfer them into a top half club. This change is an acknowledgment that with Hughton In charge, they were more likely to be a championship club come 2020/21 than a bottom half premier league club. I think anyone looking in from the outside probably doesnt realise just how bad Brighton have been, with the same (if not improved on paper) squad as last season. Unfortunately for Hughton, who is a lovely man by all accounts, he hasn’t worked out how to built a platform to allow his teams to score goals in the prem. Playing with 10 men behind the ball, on the edge of your own box is a fine strategy against good teams, but doing it against the rest of the bottom six - with no outlet other than Glenn Murray who hasn’t got legs any more, is just inviting relegation.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:02 PM »

Just because something might get worse isn't a good reason to not try and get better..little chance of getting better without a change I think. Hope he gets another good role somewhere though.

sola virtus nobilitat
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »

Spot on. If it ain’t broke, break it.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »

Saw this on Twitter yesterday, which, to be fair, puts a different light on it..... (no idea if it is accurate).

Net Spends since June 2016 (£)

Man City: 343m
Man Utd: 310m
Chelsea: 203m
Everton: 160m
Arsenal: 148m
Brighton: 130m
Wolves: 124m
West Ham: 112m
Bourn: 104m
Fulham: 101m
Palace: 85m
Hudd: 81m
Leic: 76m
LFC: 73m
Burnley: 49m
Watford: 41m
Spurs: 31m
Newcastle: 4m
Southampton: -10m

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »

sounds about right we are getting relegated

-10 million seems like alot more

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 12:17:30 PM »

As a Newcastle fan I like Hughton but it's hard to argue against this being the correct decision.

I really don't get all the "be careful what you wish for", "the devil you know" etc comments. Now Brighton have made this decision because they think they'll go down next year if they don't. But even if their rationale was they wanted someone who they felt could take them to the next level then why the hell should they not do that? What is the point of sport if you're happy to just accept where you are and not improve? It might not work out but that's no reason to not try.

Newcastle got a lot of this nonsense with Pardew who has since shown himself to be what the majority of Newcastle fans said he was. And Hughton is a far better manager than Pardew will ever be - but this was still the right call.

Blue text
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »

Saw this on Twitter yesterday, which, to be fair, puts a different light on it..... (no idea if it is accurate).

Net Spends since June 2016 (£)

Man City: 343m
Man Utd: 310m
Chelsea: 203m
Everton: 160m
Arsenal: 148m
Brighton: 130m
Wolves: 124m
West Ham: 112m
Bourn: 104m
Fulham: 101m
Palace: 85m
Hudd: 81m
Leic: 76m
LFC: 73m
Burnley: 49m
Watford: 41m
Spurs: 31m
Newcastle: 4m
Southampton: -10m

It feels a bit misleading.  The 5 and 10 year figures are here

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Huddersfield, Fulham and Cardiff all spend less than Brighton over 5 years and were relegated.

The only others spending significantly less are Spurs, Burnley and Southampton.  Southampton have run good on sales, but were in danger of relegation last season.  Spurs have run golden getting Pochettino, but also ran pretty well with Gareth Bale.  Burnley just seem to be punching above their weight.   The other mid-table clubs have all spent amounts in teh same ballpark apart from Everton. 

Sure they could have done better, but they likely came from further back than the rest too.

He may well be due a sacking, but I just don't think he has clearly overspent for their position. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 09:18:12 PM »

I think it’s a good decision.  Negative manager on a downward trend.  Brighton are hardly paupers and could do much better.  Put it this way I’d be horrified if Watford took Hughton due to his negative one dimensional tactics.  No reason why Brighton couldn’t have matched Watford 50 points this year.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: