blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:47:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Women's World Cup
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Women's World Cup  (Read 4959 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »

The Women's World Cup starts today and runs for 4 weeks.

52 matches, all live on the BBC.

The BBC coverage looks good - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2019/06/07/bbc-selection-womens-world-cup-cause-optimism-tournament-taken/

A good place to get team overviews / analysis here - https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3722054/womens-world-cup-2019-team-previewsschedulehow-to-watchnews-and-analysis

This article is a really interesting insight into womens football - https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/07/sports/soccer/world-cup-survey.html

The England team are supposed to be quite good and expected to go deep. I am going to try a watch a bit and see how we go.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »

Englands World Cup Lionesses is a good watch.  Available on catch up.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »

Who cooked all the pies.... who cooked all the pies.....

The older I get, the better I was.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »

Who cooked all the pies.... who cooked all the pies.....

Naughty man!
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »

Post pics of any decent tottee playing here as well please!  Grin
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »

No sport has improved more in the last decade/15 years than women's football

Not watched as much last few years but will certainly be watching a few games, england v scotland 5pm bbc 1 sunday great spot for the game
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

Finally the Scots are playing on the World stage again! I got Germany in the work sweepstake, so pleased to see that they are ranked second in the world.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »

Won't make any difference to the result in the France v South Korea game, but can't help thinking that VAR's being allowed to become a joke. How can a player possibly know the relative position of one part of their body to that of their opponent at the split second that the ball is struck by the attacking player? I honestly thought that there had to be a clear an obvious error in the official's initial decision.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »

Won't make any difference to the result in the France v South Korea game, but can't help thinking that VAR's being allowed to become a joke. How can a player possibly know the relative position of one part of their body to that of their opponent at the split second that the ball is struck by the attacking player? I honestly thought that there had to be a clear an obvious error in the official's initial decision.

Unfortunately this is going to happen a lot because offside is binary.  Before I saw the lines I thought it was definitely onside but the right decision was ultimately made.   I’d modify the rule to say as long as you have a scoring body part behind the mid point you are onside of the last defender and then VAR draws a line from middle of last defenders head or something.  Sooner of later a goal is going to be ruled out due to their man bun being over the line!
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 11:32:27 PM »

Pretty much every video technology in every sport has started off with the rhetoric of saying - we're doing this to stop the 'obvious' mistakes; and all of them have ended up with trying to be 'perfect', and worried about the criticism if they miss something.

I wouldn't be surprised if the average football game ends up with an average of half an hour extra VAR time as a matter of course.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 07:19:57 AM »

What we need is some way of monitoring the VAR to make sure that doesn't happen.

The older I get, the better I was.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »

If you stuck one of the top women’s national teams into men’s football, what league would they be competitive in?
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 05:42:04 PM »

Hard to say the Lyon side would be higher than people think would say it would compare well to rugby and cricket comparisons anyway

Scotland giving this away looked to be a good game until the VAR early

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »

Game on

Scotland been good second half England look to have a few egos to me
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »

England looked knackered second half
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »