blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:37:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Best Prime Minister?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Prime Minister?  (Read 3645 times)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 10:19:03 AM »

Blair was undoubtedly the best one in my lifetime.

It's predictable, but totally depressing to see so many jump to name Thatcher, as my experience was the polar opposite to theirs.  The current incompetent might ultimately inflict more damage on the country as a whole, but even he would struggle to systematically dismantle local communities and families in the way that she did.  I'm not sure that any of Cameron, May or Johnson will achieve the 'street parties to celebrate your funeral' level of hatred that someone growing up in a coal-mining community in the mid 80s will feel about Thatcher.  She's the epitome of Tory politics - a select few will do well, but God help you if you're on the wrong side of the equation.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 10:51:21 AM »

It's predictable, but totally depressing to see so many jump to name Thatcher, as my experience was the polar opposite to theirs.  The current incompetent might ultimately inflict more damage on the country as a whole, but even he would struggle to systematically dismantle local communities and families in the way that she did.  I'm not sure that any of Cameron, May or Johnson will achieve the 'street parties to celebrate your funeral' level of hatred that someone growing up in a coal-mining community in the mid 80s will feel about Thatcher.  She's the epitome of Tory politics - a select few will do well, but God help you if you're on the wrong side of the equation.

Tony Blair comes across very well here imo.

https://twitter.com/JordonLee/status/1168774236875493377

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
engy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »

This ^^^
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »

Tony Blair comes across very well here imo.

https://twitter.com/JordonLee/status/1168774236875493377

Yes, as usual.  It's very telling seeing him speak these days as it's such a stark contrast to the current crop of leaders.  He still carries a certain level of gravitas that they can't get near.  Obama is an even more stark example when compare to the ramblings of Trump.

John Major is similar, despite the fact he wasn't a natural public speaker in his prime.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »

It's a shame that Blair is basically ignored, tainted by Iraq

Listen to him on Brexit such as that speech yesterday and he is light years ahead of any current politician in his clarity of thinking

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »

Blair & Thatcher for me.

I think they genuinely tried to do what was best for the country as a whole.

The older I get, the better I was.
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »

Blair & Thatcher for me.

Agree , plus they could convey their vision in speeches with conviction.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »

Blair & Thatcher for me.

Agree , plus they could convey their vision in speeches with conviction.

I think this as well.

Thatcher probably pushed the country into becoming a truly modern country and economy - but some of her principles became dogma and applied without thought to 'why' they were meant to work (largely after her time though)
Blair had a great balance of left and right - but actually seemed to believe that they had genuinely got rid of economic cycles and set government policies and spending accordingly (just ignore Iraq obviously).

I think most MP's in most era's have done what they think is the best for the country as a whole but it takes proper leaders to set the direction.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »

Blair & Thatcher for me.

I don’t think Tony Blair ever thought much about anything other than what was best for Tony Blair. Thatcher held strong convictions and followed policies that she believed were necessary, regardless of the public perception. Blair seemed to me to hold very few convictions and followed policies that he felt were popular.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »

did thatcher kill off the coal mining industry?

there's plenty of coal and thatcher's long dead. surely with  such a viable natural resource it would have been a matter of self interest for the country to get back down the mines. truth is the industry wasnt viable without heavy subsidy and she rightly allowed it to fail.

there's a horribly paternal view of the working class that invokes hatred of thatcher.

but thatcher had appeal amongst lots of working class folk that valued law and order, entrepreneurship and hard work.

like blair she rightly has an 'ism' attached to her name. she had clear principles and dragged our economy into the modern world. i have lots of admiration for her.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »

As a side note, does anyone think that May did anything worthwhile in her tenure?

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:02 AM »

the simpsons say

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »

As a side note, does anyone think that May did anything worthwhile in her tenure?

Told the wheat field story.

Accepted that cough sweet.

Busted some moves.

Probably brokered the best deal available under the circumstances.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: