blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  John “The Gentleman” Gale
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John “The Gentleman” Gale  (Read 4247 times)
Harry Demetriou

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2019, 08:37:07 AM »

Hi All

I deeply regret informing the forum of the passing of John Gale yesterday on Monday 18 November 2019 following a long illness

He was not only one the best players to have emerged over the years from The UK but was also as his  poker nickname sggests a perfect gentleman at the tables.

He will be sorely missed and hope your thoughts condolences sympathies and best wishes along with mine are with his wife Shirley and family at this time

RIP my dearest friend John Gale
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:21:11 AM »

Thanks for posting Harry.

Deepest sympathies to his family.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »

That's terrible news, & I'm very sad to hear it.

John was just terrific, & I enjoyed his company very much. He was always particularly kind to me, & always found time to chat.

He had to overcome some serious health problems in the time I knew him, but recovered sufficiently to win a second WSOP Bracelet 9 years after his first.

His first ever recorded cash on Hendon Mob was the PCA in the Bahamas, for $900,000, which must be remarkable in itself. Just 4 months later, hid 2nd ever cash was as runner-up in a $5,000 WSOP event to Brian Wilson of all people. (I wonder where he is now?). 

Poker, of course, was very different in those days, you could not buy wins by firing multiple bullets, it was almost all freezeouts & so you could really put opponents to the test. Long before others got it sussed, he understood pot odds, & there was no hand he would fold if he felt the odds were right.

A lovely man.

RIP John.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »

Thanks for posting that Harry, it's really appreciated. If it's not an impertinent question, where are you based these days, & what are you doing?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »

He knocked me out of the first GUKPT, Gorffwys mewn hedd John.

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »

R.I.P Mr Gale.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »

Terrible news. Condolences to friends and family.

Remember battling with him a lot back in the day.

Super nice guy, and very tough to play against.

RIP Gizzimow.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »

RIP Gizzimow.

John & his wife, Shirley, were on that Laddies Poker Cruise in 2005 (?), you'd have spent time with him on that presumably.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »

Very sad news indeed and very young. RIP John.

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »

Very sad news. RIP John

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »

RIP Gizzimow.

John & his wife, Shirley, were on that Laddies Poker Cruise in 2005 (?), you'd have spent time with him on that presumably.

I didn't go on the 2005 one, but sure he was on the '06 big cruise, and always used to see him at Laddies events anywhere, and in London festivals.

Omm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »

I didn’t know John well but I’d been playing at the Vic the last few months and spoke a few times to him, listened to a few stories and did battle in a few cash pots. In fact my biggest pot won was against John when his flopped straight with 64s lost to my turn and river quads 9’s. He just smiled and said “you needed that river”.

Could actual see he was getting worse and worse health wise.

RIP John.
Harry Demetriou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 06:48:52 AM »

I didn’t know John well but I’d been playing at the Vic the last few months and spoke a few times to him, listened to a few stories and did battle in a few cash pots. In fact my biggest pot won was against John when his flopped straight with 64s lost to my turn and river quads 9’s. He just smiled and said “you needed that river”.

Could actual see he was getting worse and worse health wise.

RIP John.

I recall John telling me about this hand and he wasnt so gentlmanly when telling me either ;-)

He loved going to the Vic after many of hsi regular blood transfusions or therapy sessions and I know he missed going to Vegas and The WSOP over the past few years but he just wasnt physically strong enough to make long overseas trips

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »

I was covering a DTD Deepstack

John was playing on the top level and had a decision, set of  sevens on a very wet board, put to the test for all his chips on the turn

He is in the tank and the atmosphere is a bit frosty, he is chuntering, his opponent is winding him up a bit

I happen to be watching

The fire alarm goes off. Everyone has to leave the building, mid hand or not

400 or so of us trudge out to the car park, and remain there for 45 minutes while the fire brigade arrive. It turns out vape smoke has set off a sensor

We all go back in, clock resumes and play continues

John is in mid hand with his 77 and facing an all in decision

Within a few seconds of sitting down he says "dealer, put the clock on me or else I will take ages to decide"!!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »

RIP John
Condolences to his family . A very nice guy

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: