blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Kobe Bryant
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kobe Bryant  (Read 7644 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »

I saw this morning that the BBC were "institutionally racist" because they had included shots of Lebron James in its report on his death.

I am a bold advocate for equality, but the BBC, like most media outlets, are very quick to jump on the bandwagon when someone is accused of being racist, misogynistic, homophobic etc when in truth it is often just a genuine mistake or badly chosen words.

He who lives by the sword....

Isn't a better response to criticise those occasions where "the BBC" has been too quick to jump on the bandwagon?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »

I saw this morning that the BBC were "institutionally racist" because they had included shots of Lebron James in its report on his death.

I am a bold advocate for equality, but the BBC, like most media outlets, are very quick to jump on the bandwagon when someone is accused of being racist, misogynistic, homophobic etc when in truth it is often just a genuine mistake or badly chosen words.

Isn't a better response to criticise those occasions where "the BBC" has been too quick to jump on the bandwagon?   

Good point, but I don't think one precludes the other.

The older I get, the better I was.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »

I wasn't Kobe's biggest fan but obviously its a terrible event that has happened.   I am truly amazed at the media response in the UK to a sportsman that surely at least 90% of the UK population will have never have heard of and a sport 90%+ of the population have never watched as the BBC coverage showed albeit somewhat embarrassing.   IMO he wasn't even the best player on the Lakers team that he won the majority of his titles on and his ego because of wanting to be the main man caused him and Shaq to split at their peaks after winning three straight titles.  There are other things about him that i wasn't a fan of as well but now probably isn't the time or place.   One thing you couldn't question was his drive and professionalism on the court and conditioning wise and getting every ounce of talent out of his body and mind.  For that he was as good as anyone in NBA history.  I just don't have him as high up the all time list of NBA players as a lot of Kobe fan boys do.  Social media/ego driven darling for me at the very top level.  He was the Ronaldo of the NBA whilst Tim Duncan in the same era was the Messi type.  If Tim Duncan had died in the same crash i doubt whether it would even have made the news in the UK.

Who is Tim Duncan i hear 99% of you ask?   The ultimate GIQ sportsman who on paper had a very similar career to Kobe in so many ways.  Five NBA titles (he was the undisputed best player on the team for at least 4 of them and they went 1.01 in running to win a sixth title but for a miracle 3 pointer from Ray Allen one year to give Lebron one of his titles), one club for life 19 seasons, first ballot hall of famer.  Probably the best player to ever play his position.  Selfless.  Always about the team and winning without a zero ounce of the me me me attitude most modern days sports superstars have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Duncan  Just in case you are interested in the GIQ player of Kobe's generation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:32:42 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 05:06:27 PM »

Trying to imagine how the UK media would react to a NFL or MLB all time great dying of a similar standing to Kobe.   Just can't imagine even if Tom Brady died (who is the pretty much undisputed GOAT of the NFL) if the UK media response would be as over the top as this has been.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7943667/Alastair-Stewart-steps-ITV-News-presenting-duties.html

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »

another old school dinosaur ruins his final salary pension after 44 years.   Why do they do it?   I suppose you have to be Tikay's age to understand their mind set haha!

Why does any agent of a 60+ tv prsenting dinosaur allow them to have social media?  These boys just fuck up far too often without meaning to but show their true colours.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 08:30:58 PM by arbboy » Logged
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »

another old school dinosaur ruins his final salary pension after 44 years.   Why do they do it?   I suppose you have to be Tikay's age to understand their mind set haha!

Why does any agent of a 60+ tv prsenting dinosaur allow them to have social media?  These boys just fuck up far too often without meaning to but show their true colours.

Too be fair, I would assume his pension is intact and he had been paid a chunk to go as it would be hard to sack him for what actually happened.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »

Too be fair, I would assume his pension is intact and he had been paid a chunk to go as it would be hard to sack him for what actually happened.

Do you think he used the gorilla quote because the man was black Stu?

marcro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »

Would it be an issue if the person who was offended was white?
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »

No, I don't at all to be honest.

But it was more a HR based comment, than whether he was guilty/innocent.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 05:16:25 AM »

Before the game tonight.

du pont

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:42 AM »

I wasn't Kobe's biggest fan but obviously its a terrible event that has happened.   I am truly amazed at the media response in the UK to a sportsman that surely at least 90% of the UK population will have never have heard of and a sport 90%+ of the population have never watched as the BBC coverage showed albeit somewhat embarrassing.   IMO he wasn't even the best player on the Lakers team that he won the majority of his titles on and his ego because of wanting to be the main man caused him and Shaq to split at their peaks after winning three straight titles.  There are other things about him that i wasn't a fan of as well but now probably isn't the time or place.   One thing you couldn't question was his drive and professionalism on the court and conditioning wise and getting every ounce of talent out of his body and mind.  For that he was as good as anyone in NBA history.  I just don't have him as high up the all time list of NBA players as a lot of Kobe fan boys do.  Social media/ego driven darling for me at the very top level.  He was the Ronaldo of the NBA whilst Tim Duncan in the same era was the Messi type.  If Tim Duncan had died in the same crash i doubt whether it would even have made the news in the UK.

Who is Tim Duncan i hear 99% of you ask?   The ultimate GIQ sportsman who on paper had a very similar career to Kobe in so many ways.  Five NBA titles (he was the undisputed best player on the team for at least 4 of them and they went 1.01 in running to win a sixth title but for a miracle 3 pointer from Ray Allen one year to give Lebron one of his titles), one club for life 19 seasons, first ballot hall of famer.  Probably the best player to ever play his position.  Selfless.  Always about the team and winning without a zero ounce of the me me me attitude most modern days sports superstars have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Duncan  Just in case you are interested in the GIQ player of Kobe's generation.
du pont

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »

Arbboy, I,m currently watching The Last Dance on Netflix. I don’t know a lot about NBA but I’m enjoying the series. Is Jordan the GOAT? How good were Pippen and Rodman?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »

MJ for me is the clear GOAT and i don't think Lebron is the clear cut second everyone likes to make out.  He probably is and will be once he has retired but he isn't in the same league as MJ when it comes to closing games out. 

Pippen - one of the most underrated players in history for me.   His game would have been even more deadly in the modern era because of his flexibility to defend all five positions.  One of the greatest all round defenders the game has ever seen.  Great ball handler for his height in that era which was rare and could score in a number of different ways.   The perfect foil for MJ to do all the dirty work defensively for him on the other teams best player.   MJ was still an all time great defender in his own right but could save his energy so many games for the offensive end where no one could stop him.

Rodman - Rodman is a true one off in NBA history.  Arguably the best rebounder ever pound for pound.  6'8' 230lbs in that ultra physical big men era to constantly lead the league in rebounds by the margins he did was incredible.   Like pippen also an all time top 10 defender who could and did guard players of all positions.  People forget Rodman was a key part of the physical Pistons side in 1988-90 that stopped a young MJ in his tracks from reaching the finals.   Rodman literally had zero offense though and actually detested that side of the game.

Between the three of them you had one of the most versatile and effective defensive units ever built.  With the greatest scorer in history at the other end they were truly upstoppable.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

MJ for me is the clear GOAT and i don't think Lebron is the clear cut second everyone likes to make out.  He probably is and will be once he has retired but he isn't in the same league as MJ when it comes to closing games out. 

Pippen - one of the most underrated players in history for me.   His game would have been even more deadly in the modern era because of his flexibility to defend all five positions.  One of the greatest all round defenders the game has ever seen.  Great ball handler for his height in that era which was rare and could score in a number of different ways.   The perfect foil for MJ to do all the dirty work defensively for him on the other teams best player.   MJ was still an all time great defender in his own right but could save his energy so many games for the offensive end where no one could stop him.

Rodman - Rodman is a true one off in NBA history.  Arguably the best rebounder ever pound for pound.  6'8' 230lbs in that ultra physical big men era to constantly lead the league in rebounds by the margins he did was incredible.   Like pippen also an all time top 10 defender who could and did guard players of all positions.  People forget Rodman was a key part of the physical Pistons side in 1988-90 that stopped a young MJ in his tracks from reaching the finals.   Rodman literally had zero offense though and actually detested that side of the game.

Between the three of them you had one of the most versatile and effective defensive units ever built.  With the greatest scorer in history at the other end they were truly upstoppable.

Jordan, Pippen and Rodman - Chicago's holy trinity!

I agree with all the above.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: