blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Getting into Golf
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting into Golf  (Read 15923 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 12:30:43 AM »

The swing and especially the ball-striking is looking really good.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 04:13:48 PM »

Had such a brilliant lesson yesterday.

It was supposed to be the first week of the intermediate session but only 2 people turned up as the weather was awful. We spent an hour on the range doing some video analysis of the swing and making some tweaks. I am such a geek for that kind of stuff.

I now have some really targeted drills to work on this week but broadly my coach is happy with the swing. Still fixing the “sway” and rotating properly but even that has shifted drastically since my first swings. Just looking to nail down the exact “perfect technically sound swing” (doesn’t exist obviously) so I can embed it and feel comfortable that it can be replicated over and over again. Love it, I am obsessed.

I am working with my coach on the Hudl app which lets you take super slo mo videos and spot the exact points of the swing to tweak. Will post some this week as it is so cool! I have also been thinking about setting some goals for the next 6 months or so, will make a separate post on that in a couple of weeks. Not the worst time to take up golf really, do lots of technical stuff for a couple of months before taking it to the course in the Spring and get a better balance between range/course. Another 100 balls this week, will see how we go.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 09:35:07 PM »

This is such a big difference from my first swings 6 weeks ago. The hips are starting to rotate properly and that slide left has gone. It's a concious effort to think about it every time but it feels much better.

I hit 50 balls on Saturday morning and maybe only 5 slices. Compared to when I started and was slicing 80% of shots. Definitely an improvement.

Managed to get outside for the lesson on Sunday and we did putting, bump and runs and little pitches. All felt good, I have always felt comfortable putting and chipping. I had a wander around the par 3 course to see if it was playable but despite it being sunny, it was a bit of a bog so left it. Lesson next week is on the course if weather is OK.

Back to the range this week to play with my grip again. As per the video, my right hand tends to go too far underneath. Every time I slide it round and get it in the "right" place, I feel like I lose control of the clubhead completely. Will hit another 100 and see where we get to.

Is it Summer yet? Really want to get a baseline for where I am in terms of breaking 100 quickly.
MrDickie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 04:56:25 PM »

Check out this guy and his tips....

Rick Shiels Golf

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFHZHhZaH7Rc_FOMIzUziJA

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 09:20:02 PM »

Check out this guy and his tips....

Rick Shiels Golf

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFHZHhZaH7Rc_FOMIzUziJA

Thanks, yes seen lots of his videos as am a bit addicted to Youtube. Some good tip stuff and entertaining. Really like the podcasts too.

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »

A non golfing post to share.

Yesterday afternoon, I said goodbye to my beautiful dog Max. He was diagnosed with cancer just over a year ago and my parents have done an amazing job giving him round the clock care for the last 6 months to make sure he retained a brilliant quality of life. We celebrated his 13th birthday just last week and he passed away at home after being put to sleep on my mums lap.

I am very lucky to have never lost anyone close to me so have never really felt a loss like this. The whole family is devastated. He was the most pampered pooch you can imagine, he never ate dog food his entire life... even enjoying a cooked breakfast and a wander around the park on his last morning. I loved taking him for his daily long walks on the beach in the Summer, he was a true member of the family. The most special dog, always greeted me with absolute excitement right up until the very end. He has been a huge part of my life over the years and have so many amazing memories. RIP my special boy Max. xxxx

Click to see full-size image.
IMG-20200305-122804-854" border="0
IMG-20200305-122804-845" border="0
IMG-20200305-122804-825" border="0
IMG-20200305-122804-824" border="0
IMG-20200305-122804-852" border="0
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 11:41:19 PM »

My dog is 14 and has just been diagnosed with cancer and i would be lost without her.

R.I.P Max

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 01:10:37 AM »

RIP Max.

The older I get, the better I was.
Marty719

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »

Sorry to hear.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 11:16:02 PM »

It's been quite a tough week. I am trying to keep a close eye on my parents who are really grieving for Max. My poor mum is sleeping with his collar under her pillow and coat by the side of her bed. They are keeping themselves fairly isolated for obvious virus related reasons but life without a dog in the house is proving harder than expected.

I sacked off working from home this afternoon and got out on the 9 hole par 3 course. 875 yards total with the longest hole being 120ish.

First 9 holes, carded +11. That included one lost ball that resulted in a 7.

Went round again and carded +4 which I am absolutely over the moon with. My ball striking wasn't great all afternoon but my short game was excellent. In 18 holes I didn't have one 3 putt and my new putter (Wilson Staff Infinite Buck Eye) was only delivered this afternoon.

Super encouraging and feel quite comfortable plotting my way round. Target for the next few months is shooting a level par round.

Another lesson coming this Sunday and got to work on swing mechanics. I am still coming in too steep so going to get some pointers and a plan in place for the next couple of months. Not going to brave the full course yet, I want to feel really comfortable that I have a shot that consistently goes 150 yards and straight. If I can find that and keep working on short game every week then should be able to break 100 fairly quickly.

So so good to be out on grass in the setting sun, not a soul about. Spending the next week at Centre Parcs. Books, fresh air, board games etc. Can't wait.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »

At the moment, golf is one of the few things I can do to get out of the house and get some exercise. Since the +4 round on the par 3 course, I have carded:-

+7  - 2 GIR, 16 putts
+7 - 2 GIR, 16 putts
+6 - 2 GIR, 15 putts
+7 - 4 GIR, 19 putts
+6 - 1 GIR, 13 putts
+7 - 2 GIR, 16 putts

I have a pretty clear baseline there so can start to make some judgements on my game inside 120 yards.

Long game - 4/10.

Hitting greens is really hard. My swing is definitely still evolving. I have made some quite big changes to the swing path fairly recently that I will show in a different video. That being said, it is just really hard to consistently hit greens. I am not too wayward, hitting a lot of fringes or small misses. That being said the last few rounds have included 1 or 2 really bad swings that have resulted in a 5 or even a 6. Need to find that consistent strike and club face. Generally my distance control has been fairly solid. Would like to think I could reach a point where I could hit 4+ GIR fairly consistently given the yardages.

Chipping - 6/10

No stats here but, in general, my chipping has been very solid. I feel reasonably comfortable with my gap wedge in hand from a decent lie. I want to start really working on making more up and downs now. I tend to be pretty solid at getting the ball back on the green if I stray, next step will be tightening up so I can get it within 10 feet more often and make more pars. One thing I do need to work on is the 8 iron bump and run, not a shot I get to play very often given the nature of the rough around the greens but have messed up a couple of times. 

Putting - 7/10

I find it hard to evaluate my putting at the moment. I feel reasonably comfortable over the ball and my stroke is fine, am just not holing a great deal. Not sure whether that is just not reading the greens well or making poor swings. In the 6 rounds above, I have only had 2 "three putts", both in the same round. I am not throwing away too many shots with the putter, just need to start working on the 10-15 foot range and getting them to drop.

Consistency is really king. Looking at my 2 rounds this afternoon, a +6 and a +7. The +6 included a disastrous triple bogey where I shanked one off the tee into deep stuff. That round really should have been a +4. The +7 round included a double bogey on a 60 yard hole where I thinned one 20 yards through the green then duffed a chip.

I am hoping that we don't go into total lockdown so I can keep getting out on the course this week. Can almost play it daily now to get some air and work on those long wedges. Hoping this sets me up well to get out onto the proper courses in the Summer. Might try and video a few shots from my round later this week if I can get a little tripod to hold my phone.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 08:44:34 PM »

Finally back out on the golf course this week. The par 3 course is unrecognisable since I last played, dried to a crisp. Need to pitch the ball 10-15 yards short of the green to allow for the roll.

Been brilliant getting back out and after a +7 and a +9 earlier this week, put this together today:-

2" border="0

Beats my best round by 2 shots and I left one right on the lip for birdie on the final hole from 25 feet. 3 of my missed greens were fringes, easily the best I have struck the ball and my putting from all around the greens was excellent.

Probably going to keep playing the par 3 course most days now and get out on the main course later this month.

Goal of shooting under 100 is still on. Going to book a few 1:1 lessons then see what happens on the big boy course. So great being out there today, felt like a proper player.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »

Finally back out on the golf course this week. The par 3 course is unrecognisable since I last played, dried to a crisp. Need to pitch the ball 10-15 yards short of the green to allow for the roll.

Been brilliant getting back out and after a +7 and a +9 earlier this week, put this together today:-

[img width= height= alt=2" border="0]https://i.ibb.co/RD8XPFC/2.png[/img]

Beats my best round by 2 shots and I left one right on the lip for birdie on the final hole from 25 feet. 3 of my missed greens were fringes, easily the best I have struck the ball and my putting from all around the greens was excellent.

Probably going to keep playing the par 3 course most days now and get out on the main course later this month.

Goal of shooting under 100 is still on. Going to book a few 1:1 lessons then see what happens on the big boy course. So great being out there today, felt like a proper player.

I hate you!

Played golf for around 20yrs and never got better than an 18 h’cap and you’ll be single figures by this time next year. Git!

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »

Got to share this straight away as absolutely buzzing!

Rounds this week on the par 3 course:-

Monday +9, 16 putts, 4 greens hit
Tuesday +2, 16 putts, 5 greens hit
Wednesday +3, 16 putts, 4 greens hit
Thursday +2, 12 putts, 2 greens hit
Friday +1, 15 putts, 5 greens hit

1" border="0

Hit a few poor tee shots in this round but got some good luck with running out onto the green. Got so pumped making a 10 footer for par on the 8th and sunk two 20 footers including the birdie. Heaped pressure on myself on the last two holes, feels great to find something I can really push myself with.

Booked a lesson on the range next week so probably will pop in over the weekend and hit some balls. No real motivation to go on the range anymore when can just play this course over and over again.

Will be on one of the main courses either next week or the week after for sure.

I hate you!

Played golf for around 20yrs and never got better than an 18 h’cap and you’ll be single figures by this time next year. Git!

You would have thought I was useless if you had seen me topping one on the first about 40 yards! Whole different game when I have to start hitting it +150 yards but we will see.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2020, 07:32:23 PM »

Got to share this straight away as absolutely buzzing!

Rounds this week on the par 3 course:-

Monday +9, 16 putts, 4 greens hit
Tuesday +2, 16 putts, 5 greens hit
Wednesday +3, 16 putts, 4 greens hit
Thursday +2, 12 putts, 2 greens hit
Friday +1, 15 putts, 5 greens hit

1" border="0

Hit a few poor tee shots in this round but got some good luck with running out onto the green. Got so pumped making a 10 footer for par on the 8th and sunk two 20 footers including the birdie. Heaped pressure on myself on the last two holes, feels great to find something I can really push myself with.

Booked a lesson on the range next week so probably will pop in over the weekend and hit some balls. No real motivation to go on the range anymore when can just play this course over and over again.

Will be on one of the main courses either next week or the week after for sure.

I hate you!

You would have thought I was useless if you had seen me topping one on the first about 40 yards! Whole different game when I have to start hitting it +150 yards but we will see.

Get a good short game and you’ll be fine.
I could hit fairways with few problems, but...

I never found a consistent touch on or around the green, which was a big problem because I missed a lot of greens  Grin Grin

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: