blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:52:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272483 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Isolation/Lockdown - Ideas to pass the time
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isolation/Lockdown - Ideas to pass the time  (Read 2110 times)
aaron1867

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2020, 01:24:55 AM »

I came back to this forum after vowing not to post again, but COVID-19 brought me back, because I wanted to engage with all of this that are in this together. I wanted to make a topic basically on ideas to get through the epidemic and not NOT to post opinions about it or political decisions. I want these ideas for all of us, but I want to give you an example.

My Dad turns 75 and his all life has revolved around a Working Mens Club (WMC) and when I say his whole life, I mean he visits this WMC every day, probably due to him not having a partner. He's dealt with this isolation and lockdown very well, he expected it. But his life has changed, he can't get there and he can't leave the house.

His life for many years has revolved around getting up numerous times during the day to medicate (diabetic type 1), watching morning telly, then heading out. The heading out would mean typically a little convenience store shopping, hospital appointments and putting a bet on. After that, 1.30pm onwards would mean a little TV, nap, TV, nap, out for the WMC. My dad is so well liked, everyone likes him and a night at the WMC would consist of 3/4 pints with games of bingo and cards later on (Whist, Crash, Cribb or dominoes). But now I face the problem of lack of engaging and his mind ticking over, we all need that not just older people.

But what next? He's stricken, for weeks, maybe months, to a life of waking up for nothing. It would basically be waking up with constant patterns of sleeping/TV.

Does anyone have ideas? Ideas not just for me, but also for EVERYONE. We all need this. Whilst, I am telling you about my Dad, I hope we can all ask for help and ideas here. This is going to be tough for all of us. Anyone little help, is help.

And lastly, whilst we have disagreed on many subjects such as EU membership, party politics and football, I hope we can all get through this with out families. Life is insanely difficult, people even on here even support Stoke, but we must help each other get through this. So hopefully we can help each other in this thread.

Thanks.   
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 01:33:33 AM »

I came back to this forum after vowing not to post again, but COVID-19 brought me back, because I wanted to engage with all of this that are in this together. I wanted to make a topic basically on ideas to get through the epidemic and not NOT to post opinions about it or political decisions. I want these ideas for all of us, but I want to give you an example.

My Dad turns 75 and his all life has revolved around a Working Mens Club (WMC) and when I say his whole life, I mean he visits this WMC every day, probably due to him not having a partner. He's dealt with this isolation and lockdown very well, he expected it. But his life has changed, he can't get there and he can't leave the house.

His life for many years has revolved around getting up numerous times during the day to medicate (diabetic type 1), watching morning telly, then heading out. The heading out would mean typically a little convenience store shopping, hospital appointments and putting a bet on. After that, 1.30pm onwards would mean a little TV, nap, TV, nap, out for the WMC. My dad is so well liked, everyone likes him and a night at the WMC would consist of 3/4 pints with games of bingo and cards later on (Whist, Crash, Cribb or dominoes). But now I face the problem of lack of engaging and his mind ticking over, we all need that not just older people.

But what next? He's stricken, for weeks, maybe months, to a life of waking up for nothing. It would basically be waking up with constant patterns of sleeping/TV.

Does anyone have ideas? Ideas not just for me, but also for EVERYONE. We all need this. Whilst, I am telling you about my Dad, I hope we can all ask for help and ideas here. This is going to be tough for all of us. Anyone little help, is help.

And lastly, whilst we have disagreed on many subjects such as EU membership, party politics and football, I hope we can all get through this with out families. Life is insanely difficult, people even on here even support Stoke, but we must help each other get through this. So hopefully we can help each other in this thread.

Thanks.   

We (me and my brothers) got my 87 yo mum an IPad and showed her how to FaceTime. Her ringing someone is proving tricky but she can answer a call NP after w few go’s. My bro will still take her to the supermarket as she needs.....probs once a week but we have drastically reduced personal contact with her, she seems happy enough with a few FT chats a day between us all.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »

Nice post Aaron.

Blonde can still be a great place to come to for some solidarity and I am sure there will be some good ideas.

This time last week, I was enjoying a Centre Parcs break. That seems a long time ago. Trying to adjust to working from home now but it's going to be a very strange few weeks/months.

I know The Body Coach (Joe Wicks) is really not everyone's cup of tea but he is doing a "P.E lesson" every day at 9am. I think they had something like 800k tuned in live yesterday. It's a pretty neat idea to start the day.

Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:47:14 AM »

Great idea Aaron - Again not everyone's cup of tea but Gareth Malone has formed The Great British Home Chorus, and had over 15,000 members as the first online rehearsal yesterday.

You did need to register at www.greatbritishhomechorus.com but that might not be the case now

Rehearsals are held daily at 5.30pm GMT on youtube here https://zaphod.vvhp.net/v-v/5wFO88Kv336437-16523111 - thats the first one yesterday.

Bear in mind it's for everyone so you aren't going to tackle something like Bohemian Rhapsody for a while! The first song is You are my sunshine.

It's just the chance to bring people together to sing and to pass away a time. Whilst it may not be for you, you might have kids a mum, dad, grandparents and friends who would like this.

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »

Thanks.   

Great post Aaron. If your dad likes a bet, he might like some books about racing/gambling?

I’ve got a few if you want any.

Like Barney Curley’s autobiography, easy read and very entertaining.

I’ll happily post any like that if you want them.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:24:04 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas, I hope that people are posting ideas for others too, not just my Dad. I know lots of us are stuck.

The facetime thin is a good idea. But at the moment my Dad is still getting lots of contact from the family. It might be useful later down the line if even further restrictions are imposed or it's a long period of time.

Not sure about PE lessons though - Good for me though who has little exercise at the minute. Are the videos still available or just lives? Because I might take this up.

Music a good idea, but I can't see my Dad doing that either.

Thanks for offer Rich, but my Dad isn't a reader either. I wouldn't like to take the books of you and him not read them.

I kind of might try and go down the technology route for engagement. Anyone any puzzle/game app apps? I might even ask him about online bingo or something, but his phone doesn't even have colour. He did say earlier that he hoped this wouldn't last much longer and what's this? Day 4 of isolation?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »

Nice post Aaron.

Blonde can still be a great place to come to for some solidarity and I am sure there will be some good ideas.

This time last week, I was enjoying a Centre Parcs break. That seems a long time ago. Trying to adjust to working from home now but it's going to be a very strange few weeks/months.

I know The Body Coach (Joe Wicks) is really not everyone's cup of tea but he is doing a "P.E lesson" every day at 9am. I think they had something like 800k tuned in live yesterday. It's a pretty neat idea to start the day.

My kids' schools sent a link to this, so they have both been doing it.  They wanted me to get involved this morning.   If asked, I would recommend declining.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
cish n fhips

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »

Thanks.   

We (me and my brothers) got my 87 yo mum an IPad and showed her how to FaceTime. Her ringing someone is proving tricky but she can answer a call NP after w few go’s. My bro will still take her to the supermarket as she needs.....probs once a week but we have drastically reduced personal contact with her, she seems happy enough with a few FT chats a day between us all.

Last sentence stinks of collusion ...

Stay safe all

Stu.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »

There are apps for many card games that Aaron’s dad will know.
Cribbage for one. Hearts is no doubt another that he will have played.
Domino’s is out there too, although I couldn’t see multi player versions.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 10:05:03 PM »

Bit of a sidetrack but for those of us who are still playing poker, Run It Once have opened up a lot of their video library free for 30 days.
AlbusFawkes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 11:10:28 PM »

Don't forget Vinny's Poker Series

Tomorrow night is for the real degens!

8pm for 5 Card Draw & NL 2-7 Draw Smiley
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas, I hope that people are posting ideas for others too, not just my Dad. I know lots of us are stuck.

The facetime thin is a good idea. But at the moment my Dad is still getting lots of contact from the family. It might be useful later down the line if even further restrictions are imposed or it's a long period of time.

Not sure about PE lessons though - Good for me though who has little exercise at the minute. Are the videos still available or just lives? Because I might take this up.

Thanks for offer Rich, but my Dad isn't a reader either. I wouldn't like to take the books of you and him not read them.

I kind of might try and go down the technology route for engagement. Anyone any puzzle/game app apps? I might even ask him about online bingo or something, but his phone doesn't even have colour. He did say earlier that he hoped this wouldn't last much longer and what's this? Day 4 of isolation?

Free online Jigsaw puzzles - jigsawpuzzles.com other sites available

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »

House party app isn’t too bad to catch up for a group chat, have got quizzes and games you can play together on there also.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 05:25:21 PM »

Free online Jigsaw puzzles - jigsawpuzzles.com other sites available

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »

We were meant to be going to see Swan Lake at Easter, hopefully that's going to happen at some point in the future instead but I did see that the Royal Opera House are going to be streaming some of their old productions.

The details are here:
https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-launches-a-programme-of-free-online-content-for-the-culturally-curious-at-home

Particularly of interest if anyone has children that need entertaining is they started with Peter and the Wolf.

It's 25 minutes and narrated so anyone who has children who might like being told a story might want to look at it.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: