blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Reddit vs Hedge Funds & Wall Street
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reddit vs Hedge Funds & Wall Street  (Read 3611 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2021, 06:53:13 PM »

Saw a few mentions of this over the last few days, and pretty crazy stuff Cheesy

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:40:10 PM »

Really interesting, thing ima be disappearing into these reddits for a few days

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:14 PM »

Really interesting, thing ima be disappearing into these reddits for a few days

Cheesy

Think they're doing AMC at the moment.

Someone popped onto Joe Ingram's livestream of Negreanu vs Polk and dropped him $100 as he'd had a good day on 'Gamestop'.

After they did that, a few of the people started chatting and I had a look about. Then this popped on their channel, which I follow every day.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:48:44 PM »

I’ve been obsessed with watching this all day - even with no shares myself I’m really rooting for these guys to crush the shorties.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:28:31 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 12:46:49 AM »

On Twitter ~10m ago Cheesy

NBC NEWS: Short-sellers lost $14.3 billion today alone on GameStop stock, according to Partners

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 09:37:08 AM »

I don't really like the separation between shorters and the people pumping the shares.  People have been pumping up crappy stocks on bulletin boards for such a long time, and some are massive scumbags too.  Shorters take serious risks with their own money,  so the hero/villian line can be pretty blurry.  Well done to those who originally spotted the opportunity here. 

There are bound to be some serious losers here, as the stock looks a bit of a basket cases.  It will end badly, just like it did with the bitcoin late adopters :/  Don't do it Marky.

Short squeezes are great for schadenfreude though.
 https://www.ft.com/content/0a58b63a-4294-3e07-8390-c3aabef39a26

If you are paywall'd out [url[https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-idUSTRE49R3I920081028[/url]

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »

This is brilliantly written by Michael Lewis and it is about a previous teenage market manipulator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/25/magazine/jonathan-lebed-s-extracurricular-activities.html

You have to subscribe to the failing New York Times to read it, but it is free and you can decline to get contacted.  I don't know how well that works as I have only just done it.  It is probably worth doing just to read this.   I wish I could write like he does.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »

great article. Really enjoyed it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »

The whole thing is fascinating.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55837519

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »

"If we see a significant rise in the chatter on social media... and we also match that up against unusual trading activity, we will potentially halt that stock to allow ourselves to investigate the situation," Ms Friedman said on CNBC.

Wall Street have been doing this via the main stream media for years. They make s**t up to manipulate share prices and profit from it enormously.

One things for sure, now it's become mainstream it won't be long before there's a huge fall. The greedy are about to get heavily involved.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 03:27:57 PM »

"If we see a significant rise in the chatter on social media... and we also match that up against unusual trading activity, we will potentially halt that stock to allow ourselves to investigate the situation," Ms Friedman said on CNBC.

Wall Street have been doing this via the main stream media for years. They make s**t up to manipulate share prices and profit from it enormously.

One things for sure, now it's become mainstream it won't be long before there's a huge fall. The greedy are about to get heavily involved.....

I don't think there is that much significant share price manipulation really takes place.  The largest institutional investors don't do this, and couldn't risk their reputation by doing so.  A lot of shorters are just gambling better on published information.  I don't really buy the "others are doing this too" line though there will always be some shitty behaviour somewhere if people are involved.

There is clearly some serious manipulation going on here, and the previous price is way more likely to be "right" than the current one.  Many of the small guys are going to get burned here along with the shorters.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 04:05:16 PM »

I don't really like the separation between shorters and the people pumping the shares.  People have been pumping up crappy stocks on bulletin boards for such a long time, and some are massive scumbags too.  Shorters take serious risks with their own money,  so the hero/villian line can be pretty blurry.  Well done to those who originally spotted the opportunity here. 

There are bound to be some serious losers here, as the stock looks a bit of a basket cases.  It will end badly, just like it did with the bitcoin late adopters :/  Don't do it Marky.

I'm just enjoying the view, same as Bitcoin Smiley

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 05:26:47 PM »

oh

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/28/gamestop-shares-robinhood-app-ban-blackberry-amc-nokia-reddit

edit

Seems like there is still life in the old dog

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/gme

day price range 112 to 483!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:41:06 PM by Doobs » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 06:05:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/MrBrownEyes2020/status/1354517070873038849

Good read Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: