blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Your earliest sporting memories
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your earliest sporting memories  (Read 3227 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2021, 08:51:17 PM »

Inspired by Arbboy’s posts on the darts thread, what are the earliest sporting memories you have? Here are mine.

1982 FA Cup Final - as a QPR fan this is obv huge. I was 7 years old, watched the final on TV (1-1 draw v Spurs). Then MY DAD GOT US TICKETS FOR THE REPLAY. Awesome, though sadly my only memory from that night was Glenn Hoddle’s penalty.

1982 World Cup - I’m sure I watched loads of it but the first bit that sticks in the mind was the Brazil-Italy semi final (best football game ever?). I was filling in my Ladybird World Cup 1982 book through the tournament.

1983 Darts final - Bristow v Deller. As Arbboy said an absolute classic. I can’t remember any other darts from the decade but this always stuck in my mind.

1984 Olympics - not a specific event, but the end of tournament round up set to Gold by Spandau Ballet.

Not sure what year this was and not going to Google but there was one year I came home from school and the Cheltenham Gold Cup was delayed because of snow or hail. No idea about the horses or anything, just remember the weather delay.

What are yours?
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 09:06:48 PM »

78 World Cup. I remember being bought a replica shirt in the St James Centre, bought Rod Stewart's song, collected the Panini stickers, think I've still got a commemorative magazine that had a picture of Ally MacLeod on the back with the prophetic line "Last time flowers, this time the Cup"...
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 09:07:20 PM »

As a child;

Some blokes climbing Everest. (Is that a sport?).

The first 4 minute mile, Roger Bannister.

England being thrashed 6-3 by Puskas's Hungary.

Wolves playing the first floodlit gave under floodlights v a European Team. I was a huge Billy Wright fan, I idolised him. Most kids did I think.

As an adult;

Has to be England winning the World cup at Wembley. It lifted the spirits of the entire nation.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 10:19:11 PM »

Since we're talking about earliest memories, mine are extraordinarily vague.

The very first one is of my dad getting very excited by the prospect of watching Canada play the Russians in an ice hockey game at a very late hour on TV. It was a couple of years after we'd emigrated to England, and I suspect he thought he'd never see an ice hockey game again. I must've been about 6 years old and was just excited to be staying up so late.

The reason I'm an Evertonian is the 1966 FA Cup Final, which is my first detailed sporting memory. I was told to support the Lancashire team rather than the despicable Sheffield Wednesday from Yorkshire. Despite my protestations at 0-1 and frenzied protestations at 0-2, I was told that allegiances couldn't be traded for such frivolous reasons. Everton's comeback to win sealed my passion for both Everton and the game of football itself -  even though I didn't actually kick a ball for another couple of years.

Of course I watched the 1966 World Cup that summer, and since we (Everton) had bought Alan Ball from Blackpool, I was loving the fact that Bally had a brilliant game in the Final. I was there.... just not at Wembley.

The blue touch paper was lit, and I was watching all the major games: I recall watching Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967.

Funnily enough, I remember enjoying the 1967 Spurs v Chelsea Cup Final almost as much as the previous year's. It was a really good game. Then, after the next year's final I cried my eyes out after seeing Jeff Astle score for West Brom with what seemed to have been their only effort on goal. I hated football for at least a week.
TiredEyes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 12:12:47 PM »

Grandad taking me to the match at Roker Park (my Mam was scared about the 80's hooligans Cheesy) he got me a mince pie and a bovril at half-time and the bovril was like lava and melted my tongue, it was sore for days.

The sleeper must awaken
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »

66 World Cup.

First Clay Frazier fight.

Frances Chichester - Gypsy Moth. (Only came to my attention because of the name of the boat)

The older I get, the better I was.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 02:10:17 PM »

I think I remember the 1986 World Cup, specifically the England v Argentina game, but not sure if I actually saw it at the time or if seeing it so much since then has tricked my memory into thinking I did. I was always Gary Lineker in the playground though so I think I might have done.

First memory I know I have is the 1988 FA Cup Final, remember that vividly, especially the disappointment of my Aunt only being able to get one ticket so I couldn't go. We went round my dad's best mate's house as they had a colour TV and ours was only B&W. The mate and his family were Liverpool fans so they didn't enjoy it as much as I did!

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »

The first FA Cup Final I sat and watched with my dad was 1963 and sealed the MUFC deal for me at the age of nine.
First live football was Northampton Town in their promotion years and that one glorious season in the First Division.
First trip to Wembley was for England v France in the Group stages of the 66 World Cup. Dad had bought a set of tickets for the group and QF but got tickets for me and my two cousins for that game.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »

Marvellous Marvin Hagler hammering Alan Minter in 1980 - it wasn't long after we'd moved back to Scotland, Dad and I were big Hagler fans, He travelled to other towns to get bigger bets on Hagler, especially after Minter's 'No black man is going to take my title', we expected Hagler to beat him, but after that we expected him to hurt him

Scotland away to Israel in a World Cup qualifier 1981, the game was during a school day, so our teacher sat in the cupboard with a radio & came out and gave us updates if we were still reading quietly. We won 1-0 Dalglish scored.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 12:26:14 PM »

I've told the story before about how we moved to Sheffield from London for about a year when I was around nine-years-old during which time my parents became friendly with Arsenal manager George Swindin after mum and I met him and the team during a week away in Blackpool.

We had moved back to London and George had given my dad a couple of tickets for the upcoming England v Scotland game at Wembley. I was small for my age and dad had bought me an England rosette which must have looked huge. I distinctly remember an enormous genial Scotsmen wearing some kind of beret coming over, bending down to my level and telling me that "you might be needing a wee hankie" - it ended up with England's historic trouncing of the auld enemy 9-3.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 02:40:58 PM »

I was 8 when Mikka Hakkinen winning the F1 title in 1998. Probably still the best looking F1 car going.

Click to see full-size image.

Wembley at the 1999 second division playoff final - Gillingham vs Man City. Vividly remember the City equaliser (we were Gillingham). 2-0 up with under 2 minutes to play, we lost on pens and Tony Pulis was sacked.

Click to see full-size image.

Bit later but it was the first time I'd ever seen cricket - India tour of England in 2002 which was on channel 4. I watched every day, the graphics had a horrific orange and blue colour scheme and Tendulkar terrorised everyone IIRC

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »

I was 8 when Mikka Hakkinen winning the F1 title in 1998. Probably still the best looking F1 car going.

Wembley at the 1999 second division playoff final - Gillingham vs Man City. Vividly remember the City equaliser (we were Gillingham). 2-0 up with under 2 minutes to play, we lost on pens and Tony Pulis was sacked.

Bit later but it was the first time I'd ever seen cricket - India tour of England in 2002 which was on channel 4. I watched every day, the graphics had a horrific orange and blue colour scheme and Tendulkar terrorised everyone IIRC

Ha - presumably you were too young to be too emotionally scarred by that....

Still in my top 5 sporting days that one for the range of emotion. Totally down and out when the 2nd Gillingham goal went in to the euphoria with the late, late goals and the penalty shoot out.
Travelled down to Wembley that day on a 1st Class Charter with silver service and too much lubrication. Arriving back went straight to a party to be goaded by United fans (they had won the Champions League final and completed the treble a few days earlier) before being joined by later arriving louder and more drunken City fans than me. Turned into WW3 and my wife  didn't talk me for 2 weeks. The beginning of the end for that marriage and a beginning of a new start for City.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:13 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMI5Zqi5hHU

one of the best world finals ever.   Jocky did near 95 average over 10 sets in the dark ages with big wired boards.   If anyone is bored during lockdown watch this when darts was super big time on national tv before taylor/sky/Mvg/hearn.   Proper darts.  Jocky finished bristow forever in this final.   He never recovered from the pounding Jocky gave him for me.  Next year Taylor rocked up as a 150/1 rag and won and changed the game forever in 1990.  The general opinion was Taylor finished Bristow but the first five sets of this final finished Eric whilst Phil was still earning peanuts in stoke making toilet chain handles in the pot banks.  Eric then sponsored Phil to give him a retirement income moving forward once he knew his reign was over.

Jocky was a two time world champion (could easily have won more in an era of proper players) when he spent the entire 1980s as a raving alcoholic.  Bristow had won 5 world titles in the 80s going into this but Jocky never cared less about reputations.  Such a loss to the game both of them are already brown bread.   They lived the life in their era no doubt.   How many other multiple world champions can ever say that as a total piss head?  Scary how could he could have been sober.  Jocky won £20k for winning this.   Price got £500k this year for his world title.

ps the best bit about the whole final is the inflatable banana (6 foot style) in the crowd which summed up football fans of that era.   Man City started the inflatable banana  ( i had one as a kid at leicester games)

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/3/16/how-the-inflatable-banana-almost-saved-football.html#:~:text=In%201987%2C%20a%20Manchester%20City,morphed%20into%20'Imre%20Banana'.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:48:47 AM by arbboy »   
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:48 PM »

Great memories from a great era for British sport.  Late 80s-early 90s across so many sports it was the changing of the guard so to speak from true GOAT contenders

Darts - Bristow to Taylor
Snooker - Davis to Hendry/Class of '92 (Ronnie/Higgins/Williams)
Football - Liverpool to Fergie and Man U

UK athletics was at an all time high for me.   Starting with Cram/Coe/Ovett through to Linford/Jackson/Edwards/Gunnell/Backley among many others.

The Eubank show was great even though i can't stand Piers Morgan.  To answer your question about my first memories of Boxing are from that era.  The very first memory is Barry McGuigan purely because my best mate at junior school came from a boxing family and his dad took him Loftus Road! in 1985 for his world title shot that he won.   The kid never stopped talking about it at school for days after.     After that Bruno v Bugner at White Hart Lane in 1987 is the first fight i can remember watching on Sportsnight i think it was on the bbc.  Following on from that i can remember watching the Eubank Collins fight at University in a hotel when we were playing in the University basketball finals in Cardiff.   That era of UK middle weights was amazing.  Such a different era pre Sky sports.

My first darts memory was watching Bristow Deller final in 1983.   I can still remember exactly where i watched that.   My first snooker memory is the same year and Cliff Thornburn's 147 at the crucible and big Bill coming round from the other table to congratulate him.  Went to my first football match live that year as well which wasn't a bad first one.  Leicester v Liverpool.   Tighty might remember it 3-3 draw some young kid called Lineker scored 2 i think and King Kenny did the same.

First memory of cricket is the 1984 'blackwash' test series watching that at lunch time at junior school.   Still for me the greatest test series ever.   England weren't even that bad and had several all time greats and just got destroyed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:29:51 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:27:27 PM »

copy and paste from darts thread to add my first memories here.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: