blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Amateur (or perhaps pro) cover versions of your fav artists that you love
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amateur (or perhaps pro) cover versions of your fav artists that you love  (Read 3095 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2022, 05:56:56 PM »

One of my favourite You tube rabbit holes I disappear down, after a drink usually, is looking for cover versions of some of the songs I love the most.

Tennage Fanclub would be in, lets say, my top 20 favourite artists of all time, not 'arf. So sad , when Gerry went his own way and now you can only go and see different bits of them but not all at the same time.

Will post from time to time, more like a permanent record of days when I had a drink.

Here's an amateur cover that I really enjoy of one of their great tracks, might not be unconnected to the attractive girl in this band. Would love to know of any other covers people enjoy, never too old to learn

sola virtus nobilitat
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 07:22:15 PM »

Sort of on the same theme. So much better than the original

As it this
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 07:27:42 PM by Chompy » Logged

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 08:07:28 PM »

I could post a shedload of songs in this thread, but I'll limit myself to three.

Tighty will appreciate the first one - original by Depeche Mode:

I'm always surprised that this came from a very heavy metal band - original by Simon & Garfunkel (but if you didn't know that where have you been?):

As for the third one - I first heard this live and it was amazing. Took a very well known song and made it even better (but this will be the most controversial) - original by Fleetwood Mac:

Oh...and as a bonus, if you like rock/metal, you may like this guy, who does covers of EVERYTHING. Sure I've posted about him before but he fits the thread perfectly

Frog Leap Studios

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 08:10:33 PM »

I like their version of Dear Prudence, but this is a corker by Siouxsie and the Banshees:

The jolly whimsy of it - horns and all - is magical.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 08:17:49 PM »

Much prefer this one.

and this one is iconic, as my daughter would say (far too much)

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
alanc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 10:32:12 PM »

Stuart Adamson's daughter covering one of Big Country's anthems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8NKVcb3w4
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 08:59:40 AM »

Stuart Adamson's daughter covering one of Big Country's anthems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8NKVcb3w4

Love that, you can see she's his daughter. Their performance of this live on The Tube I think is one of the most uplifting things I ever watch and return to a fair bit

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »

Some great songs here, love Siouxsie and that was a great cover.

Embarrasingly had to look up who did the original Happiness is a Warm Gun. Reminds me of hearing comfortably numb, for the first time....by the Scissor Sisters, seemed to amuse the people I was with at the time that I had managed to avoid Pink Floyd almost entirely (bar the period when they had a few chart entries) and they seemed to feel I'd missed out never having heard the original. Played it once, that was quite enough :-)

Like the contributions from Chompy and Karma, standard nu metal entry and diddly country style from chompers and inevitably heavier from KD. Will look up the bloke you mention as well.

In the nu metal and heavier genres I think Korn do a pretty incred version of Alice in Chains 'Would' but although I'm not remotely a Mettalica fan (probably know 3 songs) this cover by korn from the MTV awards is pretty stunning imo - love Korn and JD's voice.

sola virtus nobilitat
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »

I could post a shedload of songs in this thread, but I'll limit myself to three.

Tighty will appreciate the first one - original by Depeche Mode:

I'm always surprised that this came from a very heavy metal band - original by Simon & Garfunkel (but if you didn't know that where have you been?):

As for the third one - I first heard this live and it was amazing. Took a very well known song and made it even better (but this will be the most controversial) - original by Fleetwood Mac:

Oh...and as a bonus, if you like rock/metal, you may like this guy, who does covers of EVERYTHING. Sure I've posted about him before but he fits the thread perfectly

Frog Leap Studios

For some reason I can’t see any of the embedded YT links.

Any helpful hints?

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 03:49:04 AM »

First Aid Kit - The Boys of Summer

https://youtu.be/W_4Ul-hxTCA

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 03:54:19 AM »

Bruce Dickinson & Dream Theatre cover Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple

https://youtu.be/VSLDly-xafE

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:25 AM »

BTO
Better than original is a feature on the Johnnie Walker show 1500-1700 on bbc radio 2 on a Sunday
I listen via the bbc sounds app as I drive around delivering peoples crap to other receipients

Well worth a listen
It will take you back to your teenage years ,esp if you Glen as me is in the grey/ white hair club !
alanc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 11:44:58 AM »

First Aid Kit - The Boys of Summer

https://youtu.be/W_4Ul-hxTCA

First Aid Kit are the queens of covers as well as writing some great original work. Excellent live as well.

In the same vain, check out You Tuber Reina Del Cid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeT7uHZ1wg or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X6_CKwXtfA

John Prine and Chuck Berry covers.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2022, 12:30:04 PM »

Never heard the original of that Boo, but that's amazing, thanks

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: