blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:05:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will get you fit 2023
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will get you fit 2023  (Read 4483 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2023, 04:04:22 PM »

Going to start a new thread.  Just going to aim to be a bit fitter this year. I have been going to the gym on and off for 4 months now. I need to aim at monthly updates, and beat all of this over the year. 

Where I am now (2nd Jan); these I have done at least 12, sometimes 3 sets of 12. I am going to add where I think I started, but it probably doesn't mean much, as barring shoulder press, they were all fairly easy to start. 

weight 96kg.
Chest press 36kg (might have done 38.5, started at 18)
Leg press 100kg (started at 30 something)
Shoulder Press 28kg (started at 18)
Treadmill 1.2km in 10 mins slight incline.
Bike 4400m in 10 mins
Row 2k in 10 mins (probably haven't done this for a month as keep running out of time/fitness and usually do it last).
Seated row 47kg (started at 18).
Can't do a pull up without assistance (think I should aim for this).

I definitely want the cardios to improve, but find it is easier to get the other stuff in if I only get half an hour. 

Good luck those that join.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 05:17:40 PM »

Good luck, mate!

I didn't go to the gym at all last year, so did nothing other than throwing my dumbbells around a bit on the bench in my room.

I've just joined my old gym as they had a 3m for £50 and going to get myself involved again.

Think I've put ~30lbs on since Vegas, and will prob try getting back down to ~210 for Vegas.

Will keep a track of my lifts in here as well for something to look back at.

Won't be doing any cardio, as I can just about bounce off the walls in the gym without my legs going bananas Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 11:40:47 PM »

Thanks Marky. 

Read something the other day about running your age in a 10k.  Obviously impossible until later in life.  Was thinking about reaching 60 and doing it as a long run aim, and maybe going for it earlier if I reach that pace.  I think my quickest 5k was 35 something, so 30 should be possible with more effort.

Flicked the treadmill up to 10km an hour tonight, which is where I should be aiming at. I think I did about 20 seconds before thinking f that.  Think I need to build up more slowly, I currently go about 8 after the warm up.  My daughter does 15km/h splits ffs, she'd batter me in a race right now...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 12:50:22 AM »

Flicked the treadmill up to 10km an hour tonight, which is where I should be aiming at. I think I did about 20 seconds before thinking f that.  Think I need to build up more slowly, I currently go about 8 after the warm up.  My daughter does 15km/h splits ffs, she'd batter me in a race right now...

It is easier than you think Doobs to get to 10kmh on the treadmill.
I use progressive loading during the run on the treadmill. Start walking, then jog/run and just increase .1 or .2 every minute,
Your body adjusts far better then just getting it to 10kmh as quick as possible
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 02:25:03 AM »

Thanks Marky. 

Read something the other day about running your age in a 10k.  Obviously impossible until later in life.  Was thinking about reaching 60 and doing it as a long run aim, and maybe going for it earlier if I reach that pace.  I think my quickest 5k was 35 something, so 30 should be possible with more effort.

I stopped running as soon as I stopped playing Rugby 15 years ago Cheesy

I hated running, and only used to do it when playing, or in PT during my time in the mob.

Sounds like a logical goal, and no doubt you'll notch it off!

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 12:29:31 PM »

I use progressive loading during the run on the treadmill. Start walking, then jog/run and just increase .1 or .2 every minute,

That sounds like a plan.  I tend to speed up to 6 walking fast then flick it to 8.  My daughter just goes slow then 15, but she is doing bursts as that is the reality in her sports.  She is way fitter than me right now obvs, so doesn't need the slow progression. 

Maybe next time I push it to 8.5 in increments then 9 etc?  Think once I get used to travelling at 10, I can work on the stamina.  Pretty much what I did both times I did couch to 5k, though at slower overall pace.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 12:32:07 PM »

Thanks Marky. 

I stopped running as soon as I stopped playing Rugby 15 years ago Cheesy

I hated running, and only used to do it when playing, or in PT during my time in the mob.

Sounds like a logical goal, and no doubt you'll notch it off!

Have a lot of sympathy with avoiding running, I love it way more when I finish than when I start.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 10:07:56 PM »

That sounds like a plan.  I tend to speed up to 6 walking fast then flick it to 8.  My daughter just goes slow then 15, but she is doing bursts as that is the reality in her sports.  She is way fitter than me right now obvs, so doesn't need the slow progression. 

Maybe next time I push it to 8.5 in increments then 9 etc?  Think once I get used to travelling at 10, I can work on the stamina.  Pretty much what I did both times I did couch to 5k, though at slower overall pace.

Thanks for the tip.  Did the walk then 7.7 to 8.5 in 0.2 intervals than held that speed for 3 minutes.  Think I might start switching out one of cycling or rowing once a week, so I can do a 20 minute run.  Think once I get there, the gap to a 5k parkruns won't be so high, and I can add them to the weekly exercise.

The local parkrun course is pretty waterlogged right now, so am in no rush to rejoin!  I just don't like running enough to do the last 4k or so with socks that are wet through. 

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 10:30:10 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  Did the walk then 7.7 to 8.5 in 0.2 intervals than held that speed for 3 minutes.  Think I might start switching out one of cycling or rowing once a week, so I can do a 20 minute run.  Think once I get there, the gap to a 5k parkruns won't be so high, and I can add them to the weekly exercise.

The local parkrun course is pretty waterlogged right now, so am in no rush to rejoin!  I just don't like running enough to do the last 4k or so with socks that are wet through. 

I've been back running on the treadmill last two weeks. Started off really slow but 3 miles now relatively easy.
If the pace becomes too much, just drop it down a bit for a couple of mins then try again.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 11:57:25 AM »

Going to start a new thread.  Just going to aim to be a bit fitter this year. I have been going to the gym on and off for 4 months now. I need to aim at monthly updates, and beat all of this over the year. 

Where I am now (2nd Jan); these I have done at least 12, sometimes 3 sets of 12. I am going to add where I think I started, but it probably doesn't mean much, as barring shoulder press, they were all fairly easy to start. 

weight 96kg.
Chest press 36kg (might have done 38.5, started at 18)
Leg press 100kg (started at 30 something)
Shoulder Press 28kg (started at 18)
Treadmill 1.2km in 10 mins slight incline.
Bike 4400m in 10 mins
Row 2k in 10 mins (probably haven't done this for a month as keep running out of time/fitness and usually do it last).
Seated row 47kg (started at 18).
Can't do a pull up without assistance (think I should aim for this).

I definitely want the cardios to improve, but find it is easier to get the other stuff in if I only get half an hour. 

Good luck those that join.

Have improved all these this month, bar rowing where I did my first 2k in 10 minutes for about 3 months (it was longer than I thought since I did this) and my weight has remained the same.

I have been messing round with my speed when running.  I read about Fartlek training and have tried doing something like it.  So now I am running at 7.8 km/h where I am comfortable with bursts of 8.8km/h.  Think this works better than running 8.8 until I stop.  10/12 minutes mixed running feels better than stepping up to 8.8 and only lasting 3 minutes afterwards.  I'll probably just keep mixing it up as both are better than what I was doing before. 

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 02:58:37 AM »

Have improved all these this month, bar rowing where I did my first 2k in 10 minutes for about 3 months (it was longer than I thought since I did this) and my weight has remained the same.

I have been messing round with my speed when running.  I read about Fartlek training and have tried doing something like it.  So now I am running at 7.8 km/h where I am comfortable with bursts of 8.8km/h.  Think this works better than running 8.8 until I stop.  10/12 minutes mixed running feels better than stepping up to 8.8 and only lasting 3 minutes afterwards.  I'll probably just keep mixing it up as both are better than what I was doing before. 

Hi Doobs, you going full Fartlek i.e sprint walk as well as run/jog or just alternating?
Do whatever works for you. Plenty of people do marathons where they walk 5 mins, run 5 mins

For myself I did 5 miles on the treadmill last week in an hour, gonna try 6 miles tomorrow. Knee hurting occasionally, but nothing i'm not used to.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 04:08:42 PM »

... Plenty of people do marathons where they walk 5 mins, run 5 mins

I did a half marathon more or less like this a few years ago and I agree it works pretty well

It was very hilly so I adapted it a bit on occasion to run downhill stretches and walk uphill one's but the 5 mins and 5 mins was what I was basing the idea on at least Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 08:46:00 PM »

... Plenty of people do marathons where they walk 5 mins, run 5 mins

I did a half marathon more or less like this a few years ago and I agree it works pretty well

It was very hilly so I adapted it a bit on occasion to run downhill stretches and walk uphill one's but the 5 mins and 5 mins was what I was basing the idea on at least Cheesy

It's very effective, several pacing groups in marathon events do this. Similar to Fartlek in that you try to not overdo it, go into the red for too long and 'blow up'
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 08:49:09 PM »

Did 6 miles on the treadmill today. Took it easy first half to ensure I could do the 6 miles.  Was 71m 25s for the 6 miles. First time I have run that far in probably a few years.
Last time running regularly I was around the hour mark for 6 miles, so will aim for that long term
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 10:36:47 AM »

Hi Doobs, you going full Fartlek i.e sprint walk as well as run/jog or just alternating?
Do whatever works for you. Plenty of people do marathons where they walk 5 mins, run 5 mins

For myself I did 5 miles on the treadmill last week in an hour, gonna try 6 miles tomorrow. Knee hurting occasionally, but nothing i'm not used to.

I am just alternating really, but have moved from run/walk to slow run/faster run now.  If I drop to walk it usually means I have gone too fast for too long.

I used to get issues with my knee after running longer distances, but it seems ok now. Dare say it I went 6 miles it will be back though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: