blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Micky (The Legend) Wernick RIP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Micky (The Legend) Wernick RIP  (Read 2271 times)
roshambo

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »

Very sad to see the passing of Micky. Was always a great guy to bump into over the years, always had time for you and some great stories.

RIP
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 09:22:45 AM »

Oh dear, I'm very sad to learn that.

He could be a bit of a rascal, but I came to like him very much. I believe he'd been unwell for some time.

RIP Micky.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »

When I first started playing poker in around 2004, he was Mr Consistency in terms of his tournament record.  Always there or thereabouts in the Grosvenor festival results around the country.

I was part of a 6 way chop at one of the Luton Festival events around that time, which included Micky, Carlo Citrone and a certain Rob Yong in the group of 6.  He was a tough opponent, but also pleasant company at the table.

RIP Micky Wernick.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 10:18:31 AM »

When I first started playing poker in around 2004, he was Mr Consistency in terms of his tournament record.  Always there or thereabouts in the Grosvenor festival results around the country.

I was part of a 6 way chop at one of the Luton Festival events around that time, which included Micky, Carlo Citrone and a certain Rob Yong in the group of 6.  He was a tough opponent, but also pleasant company at the table.

RIP Micky Wernick.

Crikey, what a line-up that was...

https://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=11974

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 10:57:03 AM »

RIP Micky

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »

I've known Micky since the early 1990's when he seemed to be an ever-present for all the decent tournies/cash-games in Gala Nottingham along with the likes of Devilfish, Mike Cowley, Lucy Rokach, Derek Webb, and Kim Constantinou. Those monthly £100R tournies were a who's who of UK poker at the time.

He was also a bookmaker. I remember him having a pitch at Monmore dogs.

Lovely man. Degenerate gambler and action-junky.

RIP

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
alanc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »

A go fund me page has been set up by Paul Jackson

https://www.gofundme.com/f/evtxt7-the-legend-micky-wernick?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email_m_pd-5332-donation-receipt-adyen&utm_content=internal

Only played at Micky's table once at Luton in the early 2000s. Still remember it today as he tied me up in knots!

RIP
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 12:50:20 PM »

Sad day for UK poker.

Micky was one of the legends on the UK tournament scene. As Tikay said, a bit of a rascal, but always had a grin on his face and I don't think I ever saw him upset at all. Came across to me as one of the nicest guys on the circuit as well.

RIP.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »

Used to see Micky everywhere the 2 years I played lots of live poker in 05 & 06, and he was always a proper gent.

RIP

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »

RIP Mickey
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 08:05:56 PM »

RIP Micky Wernick.

£500 + £25

Probably got chicken and chips with that, too.

GG to one of the Midland greats. Will be much missed but I can see Mad Marty tapping an open seat for him now.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 08:20:07 PM »

RIP Micky Wernick.

£500 + £25

Probably got chicken and chips with that, too.

GG to one of the Midland greats. Will be much missed but I can see Mad Marty tapping an open seat for him now.

Great post Simon. Those Luton fessies in the mid noughties were epic.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2023, 12:23:19 PM »

RIP Micky

I was playing a Grosvenor Festival tournament in Walsall, sharing accommodation Pete Wigglesworth. I was on a table of strangers, all of whom were no easy targets: I had already concluded that I was the fish. Wiggy came over to the table for our last hand before the break and once it was over he introduced me to Micky on my immediate right and Simon Deadman on my immediate left. They had both been as friendly as it’s possible to be at the table, and were both kind enough to suggest that I’d been making all the correct decisions. I was newish to the game at that time, so it did a lot for my confidence. Gentlemen, both of them.
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 12:06:44 AM »

We have lost the true Godfather of the Midlands poker scene. 
Micky was a great character and had fabulous stories across the felt .  Unfortunately I hadn’t seen him for many years due to living in Asia but the memories live on
God bless you Micky R.I.P

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 10:48:04 AM »

Had a text from Dawn this morning.

To all of Mick's friends & family, his funeral will be held at Sutton Coldfield Crematorium, Tamworth Road B756JG on Monday 22nd of May at 3.15pm. for more information contact Dawn.

I have Dawn's phone number & if anyone wants to contact her let me know & I'll send it across by PM, probably best not to put it on the open Forum. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: