blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  WSOP, $2,000 NLH
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP, $2,000 NLH  (Read 5399 times)
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 02:44:47 PM »

Paul Phillips has made an interesting blog entry (where he shows his thinking) about his exit hand:

http://extempore.livejournal.com/102173.html

I'm a great fan of Paul's blog and think this, plus the "controversy" about his play in the comments makes great reading.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 02:45:37 PM »

Lawrence plays all the local comps still Armo. He comes for the cash games I suppose but he is still feared when at your table.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
bigbad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 04:24:13 PM »

LAWRENCE WILL WIN IF HE DOESNT PLAY Q5 JON NEWSOME SAYS SO  ALSO I WOULD SWIM SHARK INFESTED WATER WITH A PORK CHOP TIED ROUND MY NECK TO PLAY HIM AT CASH
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »

The thing I remember was him talking some poor bloke through his hands. something like;
"Now I appreciate you're mixing it up with your king Jack, and I know you've hit your jack but you're also pretty sure I've got the Queen. You've showed some game trying to take me off it but you know I'm probably gonna bet the river if..." I'm obviously para-phrasing as it was a while ago, but basically the more he talked to the guy, the less colour he had in his face. Struck me as a great reader of players and the bone dry sence of humour was getting a few laughs from anyone NOT involved in a hand with him.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 05:31:06 PM »

Adam - that's Lawrence to a "T"...!

Bongo. I am a big reader of PP's blog, his technical analysis fascinates & bewilders me at the same time. We became acquainted in Barcelona, then more so in Dublin last year. I was sat in the corner, quietly reading a fascinating book "Fermat's Last Theorem", an awesome read about an obscure mathematical formula proven (arguably) many centruries ago, but which no modern mathematician could re-prove. Paul introduced himself (I thought Wow, millionaire man talks to tikay), said he'd noted what I was reading, & asked if I had seen another book by the same author, Simon Singh. No, I replied, but I'd like to. Next day Paul brings me the book, wow I say, fancy you having THAT very book with you here in Dublin. No, he said, I went & purchased it for you this mornming, it's such a great book I want you to read it.

So, a new hero of tikay was born. His wife is adorable too, very tall, but beautifully mannered.

But after Paul Maxfield got 2nd at The Bellagio, Paul P was extremely critical of Paul M's play, so much so that in my mind, some of Paul P's halo slipped. His criticism was so off track (he claimed shoulda bet when he hit top two pair, but he trapped & Phan hit a gutshot) that I discussed it with DC, who said, in not so many words, Paul P was talking out of his backside. I just thought it was the xenophopic thing, the Yanks v Brits syndrome.

But if anyone enjoys deep technical analysis - & I DO mean deep - take a look at the link Bongo posted. Jaw-dropping stuff. It's a different game that those boys play, make no mistake.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 06:46:01 PM »

Is the other Simon Singh book called "The Code Book"? I bought that during my first year at Uni but it went missing before I could read even one page of it.

As for the critique of PM's play I think it was more the call preflop (out of position) he didn't like.

"I don't fault the flop check that much though, since Tuan may push drawing nearly stone dead. I do cringe at flat calling with six high. That's just begging to let Tuan back into the game without making a hand."

Anyway his latest post is something else, the comments are intriguing

"Why call here when you are more skilled than the rest of the table?"
"The call here is what makes me more skilled"

I've actually been thinking a bit about this "principle of chip conservation" that makes people think you should fold there and have some ideas about why it's been incorrect all along. I might post once i've thought some more, it'll be fun to be proved wrong in any case.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 06:56:05 PM »

Correct, "The Code Book".

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »

Here's a typical Paul Phillips one-liner, which sums up his mindset. Arrogant? Self-assured? Whatever, it's lovely to see the thought process so beautifully articulated.

"..... My table included two big stacks in the hands of fairly exploitable players and I was dying to put together enough chips to put a big hurt on one of them...."

Or as we'd put it, "I fancied the two muppets chips"

Exploitable = fish!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 07:23:32 PM »

Good News - Rhow has agreed to be tableside tonight & feed me with text updates. We gotta love that Lady.

So, we are all set. See you guys later, I'm off for a snooze.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: