blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:09:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  Midlands Medley @ Walsall, £300 - Overnight Counts & Mini Report
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midlands Medley @ Walsall, £300 - Overnight Counts & Mini Report  (Read 17516 times)
charmaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2006, 10:51:31 AM »

Nothing !!!! lol

" Kind words can be short and easy to speak , but there echoes are truly endless " -Mother Theresa
Mr F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2006, 10:55:51 AM »

I KNOW!!!  It's almost like they stay up all night and don't realise that 9-12 exists in the morning.

"Love is better than a warm trombone"

"Table Tennis Rules, they're so confusing it's not played by fools"
charmaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »

M3's in Walsall and his updating was pretty crap to say the least , then he didnt text from 12.30am !!! so no idea if they played or if they're finishing it off today .

" Kind words can be short and easy to speak , but there echoes are truly endless " -Mother Theresa
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2006, 11:00:33 AM »

Is that the real Tips?

Superstar VC Cup player Tips?

Where ya been??!!

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
Mr F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »

"M3's in Walsall and his updating was pretty crap to say the least , then he didnt text from 12.30am !!! so no idea if they played or if they're finishing it off today"

To be fair updatings not easy (especially after a few pints) but it's been hours now and I WANNA KNOW WHO WON.  I think toys will be thrown from pram!!!! 

"Love is better than a warm trombone"

"Table Tennis Rules, they're so confusing it's not played by fools"
charmaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »

Jamie Huh? do you know whats going on Huh?

Tips
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2006, 12:27:17 PM »

Is that the real Tips?

Superstar VC Cup player Tips?

Where ya been??!!

OK Jamie, come on m8 what r u after?
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2006, 05:19:42 AM »

Just a little update of my return on day 2 and a couple of questions.
Got back to walsall just in time to catch Tikay at the bar, he duly paid for my breakfast, cheers boss!
So a good start!!

I had returned with 34.5k and with the blinds 1500-3000 i wasn't in any immediate danger but i had decided to be a lot more aggressive than the previous day.
I was a bit phased on day 1 by all the big time players around me and i guess i saw demons in their play that weren't necessarily there, i have played a few of these fessie events and actually faired quite well overall despite not beating my final table in my first ever event over £20 (£500 DC freeze 12 months or so ago).

Anyway immediately it was apparent that the 2 shorties were "going for it". Also Paul Jackson, P. Jackson and the chippy were going to continue their aggression too, great!
I have never been on such an aggressive table, ever!! I actually can't remember a hand unraised preflop, quite awe inspiring actually.
Anyhow i managed to lose about 15k a couple of hands in calling a raise with JQ and hitting 2 pairs on an all club flop, i check, he checks and another club on the turn sees another couple of checks, his 6k bet on the river was all i was ever gonna pay to see his ace of clubs, but i have no complaints. Maybe i should have bet the flop but i think he was almost certainly going allin with his Ace of clubs and short stack.

Anyway a few hands later a very odd hand happened where i almost doubled up without seeing a flop!!
Chippy raises (again) to 6k and another player flat calls, i have AK and push and am relieved to see the chippy fold, the flat caller then dwells for a good few minutes before eventually folding 64 of clubs face up!!
I was a bit surprised to say the least........

I then get KQ diamonds and decide it's my turn to steal the blinds, i raise to 13k and the chippy calls, flop comes 10h , with about 23k left i think i now have 2 chances to win the pot (forcing a fold or hitting my probable 10 or so outs) and push, an immediate call sees his A9s killing 4 of my outs and the inevitable spade on the river killing my tourny (it was the king too!!).
No regrets on the hand at all, i pushed expecting to be behind and with my chips and position etc. i'd do exactly the same next time.
I am pleased with the comp and finishing about 23rd from 187 considering i never had aces, had kings once (won 75) JJ twice and 1010 once and had AK once only. Possibly the worst comp hand wise i have ever had.

All in all a good day and a bit and it was fun in the comp, nice to see a few of the forum lot and to meet Greg and Julian for the first time.

Couple of questions though:-
How do you combat an aggressive table? (especially with rubbish cards), one chap seemed to like to reraise preflop a lot forcing folds, he did have plenty of chips though, a definite factor not open to me.

How do you make yourself more aggressive? I was watching Julian and he seemed to raise twice a round every round, i don't know if this was a strategy or just cards but i decided to raise the very next hand he did blind with a bit of success, picked up the blinds a couple of times.
This was a deliberate effort to play aggressively and i find if i do it blind i have the bottle necessary Cheesy

What range of hands would you raise preflop on an aggressive table? Connecting cards or even suited or 2 face cards are my range though i didn't even get those.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2006, 12:20:39 PM »

ifm says.....

"....How do you make yourself more aggressive? I was watching Julian and he seemed to raise twice a round every round, i don't know if this was a strategy or just cards but i decided to raise the very next hand he did blind with a bit of success, picked up the blinds a couple of times.
This was a deliberate effort to play aggressively and i find if i do it blind i have the bottle necessary

What range of hands would you raise preflop on an aggressive table? Connecting cards or even suited or 2 face cards are my range though i didn't even get those...."

I think you are looking at this the wrong way Ian.

When Julian - or others of the same ilk - R twice a round, they do so IRRESPECTIVE of what cards they are holding. The cards are NOT relevant, not AT ALL. They sense a passive/weak table, or they have a bullying stack, & they look for SITUATIONS rather than hands, the ability to pinch the blinds or knock someone off a hand by sheer aggression. But the important thing is, thery do NOT look for a range of hands - it could be, literally, any 2 cards - they just spot situations where they think they can outplay someone. Stu Fox, & At-It Bradley employ the same style. It must be a wonderful talent to possess, but you need some sort of stack to do it, & a lot of backbone. As I tend to operate with a small stack, & ain't the bravest of players, it's something I will never be able to do, but each to their own, & the occasional "RR with any hand" works a treat against these guys if you have a rock image like myself.

I am glad you met Julian - he really is an awesome player, extemely likeable, and a perfect gent at the table. It's always fun to have him at the table.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2006, 12:57:32 PM »

A belated & brief resume of what happened on Day Two of the £300.

Red-Dog & myself were both hanging in grimly on a very aggrrssive table, but we both found just enough "situations" to pay the rent.

Red then found KK & was aghast to get no action, but be careful what you wish for is the saying, & he found KK again three hands later, & he sure got action this time - I had AA! Knocking out a bud gives me mixed feelings - I wanted Tom to go all the way, but there are huge bragging rights to busting a mate, too. At least he did nothing wrong.

Then on a 5 handed table, I Know It made a perfectly reasonable all-in lunge with A-8, only to find yours truly holding AA again!

The Final was an odd affair, a sort of atmo existed at the table, as 2 players kept haranguing evryone to do a deal. I kept ouit of it, for some reason I felt confident, & was having a ball, & I wanted to play on.

To my right was a wonderfully mannered Asian Gentleman, Mr Youmji I believe, & he soon had a big chip lead. He was being pestered again & again to do a deal, & was being offered an insulting sum, so eventually he juat said "I want x", & then he got lambasted for quoting a silly figure. So I interjected "look, the guy does not wanna do a deal at this stage, so he's just telling you "no", he has every right so to do", but they really were pressurising him. Why is it that after a wonderful comp played in a great spirit by everyone, that some folks get so uppity & aggrerssive when it comes to deal-making? Players are ENTITLED to say no, & they should not be expected to receive abuse just because they don't wanna deal. These guys can maybe walk all over me at Poker, no argument there, but when it comes to negotiating skills, they truly suck. I can't begin to imagine how they'd get in in real world negotiations. Well, I can.......

Anyway, Thewy got busted - he got aggressive, & we were all shocked to see he actually had a proper hand - AK - but it plays pretty bad against AA.

My demise was an odd one. A nice chap - Glyn I think - had about 100k, & went for a routine late position steal with A-7, & I with 160k moved in on him with JJ. He thinks & thinks, openly saying "I think I'm pot-stuck here" before eventually calling. Whilst I was steeling myself for the almost inevitable A, I was mightily relieved to see no Ace - but he 4-flushed it!

Down to 60k & blinds at 6k-12k, the BB on me next hand, I tried to do a Thewy & moved in with Q-7 suited, only to find Billy Big Stack with A-Q, & despite 2 diamonds on the flop, I improved no further, & exited with £2,300 in 6th. I had not even had time to shake Glyn's hand & leave my seat before Mr Aggressive says "good, we can try & do the deal again now"..... Subtle stuff.

A truly wonderful comp, I enjoyed every minute. Gotta love this Tourney Poker.

I believe Glyn busted next, & then it was chopped, they all took around £10k, plus or minus a few grand.

A big up to Walsall for a great comp - 190 runners! - but it is a pity that the prize structure was so ridiculously top-heavy.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

tikay

I keep hearing you say that you're not as good as some players.

Well, I disagree.

I see no reason why you can't mix it with the best.

This result shows that you're capable.

Now, you just need an injection of confidence heading into the Main Event.

There's no reason why you can't win it ffs.
Geno
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2006, 06:09:29 PM »

Stuart Rutter made THE most astonishing laydown. This guy can play - deep in the Final at Helsinki, & a couple of results since, he held  on a flop of  . Turn & river of  & some robust betting saw his pass his flopped House, only to see his oppo show the straight.....WOW!

Is this a typo Tikay (i.e. did oppo have a straight flush?)

Sheriff

No - Not a typo, & no straight flush was out. Stuar thought Matey Boy had JJ or TT. And I did not report this to demean or criticise Stuart who is a quite exceptional talent. He just really thought the guy had the bigger house. I could not pass that hand if my life depended on it.

Indeed he is, even greater/worse a pass it being on the turn with a board of  J(dunno suit), couple of reraises and a massive all in from the other guy - this guy cant really believe his straight is good right? Awesome lay down, wrong time Stu mate - save folding houses for your home game, not when I got a stake in ya. Ah well if your reading this Stu great work in the 200, was all a good laugh. Ya guys have a good one in Europe if I dont speak to you first
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: