blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  past blonde Bashes
| | | |-+  Celebration of all things Weegie
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Celebration of all things Weegie  (Read 4660 times)
thetank

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »

On another thread, dicussing a more lurid side to Glasgow, it was decided that perhaps some locals should tell the visiting hordes what parts of the citys history and culture they are particularly proud of.

I'm not a local myself, having only been here for 6 months, but will probably contribute to the thread anyway.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 03:52:37 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »

ok Robert valid point and yes its a family forum

SO -  things to see in glasgow

kelvingrove art gallery...not only a fantastic building houses some of the most fascinating exhibits..not just art, history and dinasours.

the science centre..a stones throw..one for all the family you could spend all day in there. Has interactive kids stuff and learning zones...but its a real experience.

the transport museam also close to the do. - tram cars the history of transport and load of other stuff...its at the kelvin hall. does guided tours as well(tikay may like this).

the football museams at hampden etc. also celtic park and no doubt ibrox...well worth a viewing

theatres...the kings , the pavilion does both opera(on at the moment) and shows...tickest can be obtained locally

it is also i believe the glasgow comedy festival at the moment  - loads of shows all over glasgow. In particular the stand, jongleurs...comedy for all the different types of humour(one for Red Dog...he can educate them in humour).

any more please ask.

The Gallery of Modern Art just off Queen Street (Royal Exchange Square) is worth a look if you're into that sort of thing. Admission is free.

It's the one with the famous statue outside of a mounted Duke of Wellington that was erected in 1844.

Local tradition was that the Duke always has a traffic cone on his head, (or at least always at the weekend) I think it dates back 20 years or so when some dude died during a riot who had earlier that evening crowned the statue with a cone. (Or so an off duty policeman told me when I was caught climbing on the statue a few years back trying to knock the cone off)

The council have recently appealed for people to stop climbing on the statue as they're feart it might get damaged. A Shame but fair enough I suppose, it is very old. Don't expect to see a cone on it this weekend.

Here's a link

http://www.glasgowsculpture.com/

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »

Any nice restaurants?

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
4KingNutz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:01:49 PM »

nah but theres ab out 300 fish and chip shops local Smiley

Nutzzzz
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:05:14 PM »

When in Rome........ "Deep fired Mars bar please"

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 02:05:29 PM »

For a cheap and cheerful Indian meal, The Village Curry House on Nelson Street (2 minutes walk from Cincinnatis) is top notch.

It is critically aclaimed, having won a few awards, and offers outstanding value for money.

Past the Kahari Palace (you don't want that one) and opposite the Clay Oven (you don't want that one either)

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 02:06:17 PM »

Celebration, not sarcastic condemnation please.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:15:36 PM by thetank » Logged

patman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »

there are a few what do you like...?

ubiquitis chip..ashton lane..eclectic scottish food, beef , game , fish..also some nice pubs nearby
rogano for fish, lobster etc so i`m told
straivaigin..excuse the spelling also nice for food.
roastit bubbly jocks for fresh food, ham, slow roast pork, sea bass etc...dumbarton road.
italians there are a few.  some very nice too many too list - if you need any let me know.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »

What about parks or walks for my pre tournament constitutional.....staying on the Quayside, somewhere near there please

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 02:41:51 PM »

What about parks or walks for my pre tournament constitutional.....staying on the Quayside, somewhere near there please
Kelvin Grove, or go to the Burrell collection, set in some really nice parkland.

Further out - Mugdock park.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
patman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »

GLASGOW GREEN...nice walk...when you say quayside do you mean city inn hotel??..if so glasgow green is 5 minutes walk
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 02:56:03 PM »

A walk round the Gorbals (Less than a mile from Cincinnatis) can be quite rewarding. Can drop in by and see the UK's only suspended sculpture "The Gatekeeper"

The Gorbals used to be Europe's most famous slum, home to 100,000 imigrants from Ireland and the Highlands. In recent times it's been rejuvinated into lots of trendy flats and is perfectly safe to walk around.

I went through there, just getting from A to B, the other day and spotting the gatekeeper made me physically stop walking and have a goosey. Such an interesting installation makes you want to find out more about it.

I did when I got home and made a point of going back. Not just passing through to B, but to have another look around.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:59:26 PM by thetank » Logged

Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »

Celebration, not sarcastic condemnation please.

Point taken, head hung in shame

Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 03:43:26 PM »

Tank, i drive past that Angel every morning, have done for 7 years since its been built, she scares the bee-jesus out of me!

As for Restaurants etc please see here:

www.glasgowdining.co.uk

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »

Tank, i drive past that Angel every morning, have done for 7 years since its been built, she scares the bee-jesus out of me!

I've always found art that posseses an eerie quality somewhat fascinating. Something that appears unsetteling, I would expect to turn me away, but sometimes such pieces also contain qualities that draw me in. That contradiction is what justifies it being "art" in my eyes.

It may not have been critically aclaimed upon it's release but I love it. I could stare at that for a longer period of time without getting bored than I could say 'The Mona Lisa'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As far as bejesus scaring goes, I've found 'The Attendants' (close by) to be a little more troubling from my point of view.

Drive carefully  Wink

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 04:13:31 PM by thetank » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: