blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  WSOP seat, bubble
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP seat, bubble  (Read 1599 times)
clayftknight

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »

I was just told about this hand by a friend, interesting I thought.

9 left, 8 $10,000 seats to wsop, 9th gets nothing.

You post the 10k BB and have 42k left.
SB has 13k after posting the 5k SB.

It's been 9 left for 30 mins, in 5 minutes blinds go up to 6k/12k  there are no antes.

1 guy over the other side of the table has 20k, the 3 stacks to his left are all slightly poorer than you.

You hold QJs, folded to the SB who moves all in, the pot is therefore 28k and its 8k to call.

At first glance the call is clear, but is it really that obvious?

Can you think of a reason for folding (he folded)?
I think I'd have called still, but after his reasons for folding were explained to me, I can see both sides.

Needless to say other guys at the table ripped him apart saying it was collusion etc.  he got his WSOP seat when 3 hands later the BB bust (the SB guy loves  him )
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:34:01 PM by clayftknight » Logged
mjrevie

Hulkamania is alive and kicking!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

So it would have cost 8K more for a pot of 28K and would have left me with 34K minus the small blind next hand? (sorry, sometimes need to say things out loud to get them)

I think the fold is reasonable. He doesnt need to get 1st, 2nd or 3rd. As long as he is not next out, then all is good. A call and a loss would leave him only 29K after he posted the small blind in the next hand. With blinds of 12K coming up soon, that leaves him very small indeed. Instead, having 42K left leaves him with enough to wait for one of the small stascks to take themselves out, or for him to hit a real hand which he can win some chips with. I say in this situation and for the prize that is there, I would have done the same.
dalzini

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »

I can definately see his reason for folding but I would have called still i think, nothing can be taken for granted when everyone has been playing so tight to get seats, but if he calls the 8k he still has 34k left (and with the blinds moving to 6k/12k, he has enough left for another round. The guy with 20k is gonna be all in next round, and the other stacks will also be in bug trouble by the time it returns, although he doesnt say how much shorter the other stacks are this may be why he wants to conserve the 5k chips.

The bottom line is he accumulated all those chips throughout the tourney, and he can do whatever he likes with them, other people automatically assume big stacks will call for pot odds when the short stack goes all in, and to their horror when such events occur they throw the toys out the pram. Also with him having big chips and the other waiting for elimination he may still have the oppurunity of stealing more and more blinds as he can end others WSOP dreams in an instant, hence keeping the short stack in ensures his safety somewhat.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:56:07 PM »

Simple fold for me i think, you pass here and the SB has less chips than you, if you call and lose he has more than you.
With the blinds hitting him (and the other shortstack(s)) before me i am in a good position to fold my way to a seat.
I am constantly frustrated at how some people play sats, it's a different game entirely!!!

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Table Manners

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »

with the stack he's got now he can just keep folding and he's GUARANTEED a wsop seat. why call? it's a risk he doesn't need to take.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:59:59 PM »

Fold. The 8k for 28k pot is irrelevant. No point in calling with just Q high.

Pokerron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 05:31:28 PM »

I think a fold here is the right move, the fact it put others at the table on tilt only adds to the "correctness" of the pass.

Would your friend have called with AJ?

The Thread Killer
BigTomatoes

play your part

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »

id have to take the chance of knocking him out

if he has a medium pair or you have 2 live cards then ou have a good chance of getting your seat by winning this hand

id call

is it cold in his shadow ?
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »

Fold. The 8k for 28k pot is irrelevant. No point in calling with just Q high.

Nail..Head....BANG!!!!!!!!!!
seamus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 07:30:38 PM »

A definite fold for me.

I was in a satellite ‘final table’ with 8 left  - 7 get 500 pounds, 8th 260. I’m 2nd in chips. Someone suggests we each put in 30 and end the game. Everyone agrees except one.(not the chip leader)
During this 'discussion' the first cards are dealt – JJ to me (a bogey hand, which I am usually wary of)  I casually go all-in, failing to notice the BB is chip leader. His KK knocks me out.
Next time I’ll leave the table and let the short stacks fight it out.
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »

I would have called with suited connectors.
There is still a chance that he has a monster of a hand, but if he hasn't you are only marginally down against any medium pair, and you are favourable against any small pair.
I guess I am also swayed by past defeats where I have tried to hang in to qualify only to be overtaken by a few good beats for those short stacked.
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »

Woulda folded, can't see the blinds getting back to me and their still being 10 people at the table.
Gryffles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 12:35:16 AM »

The chips he loses are worth more than the chips he wins, therefore pot odds are completely irrelevant.
Protecting your position is the most important issue.
By folding you can survive at least two more rounds, four players left cannot, therefore they are much more likely to go broke before you.
1st makes as much as 9th here, there is no need to increase chip position to win.
clayftknight

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »

Well, the overall feel is for a fold.

i guess the comments on the night were just cause they were all nervous and stressed Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: