blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  A difficult turn decision
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A difficult turn decision  (Read 3846 times)
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »

Are you mainly a tournament player?

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
smithy69

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 03:46:11 PM »

I play both mate. Im not the worlds greatest but I have had a few good results on both cash and torni. all im saying is that people get carried away with implied odds.

if I call with  three clubs (another pretty hand) every hand, I might bust someones aces but in the long run against 4 other players surely I will lose. Even if I hit a flush with these kind of hands there is a high possibility of still being beaten.

I personally play position and good cards, and stay away from pretty starting hands as they often are peoples undoing.

as i said I am not the best, so this is only my view

Thought I had better put a pic of me on here, so you knew what my ugly mug was really like
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »

But calling for $30 when there is ~$100 in the pot and $1000 left to win if you do crack aces means you don't have to hit very often to break even...

smithy69

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »

From my understanding of his post, he was first to call the raise. so there was $30 from the raisers bet and $15 in blinds. He is putting $30 into a $45 pot. for me this is a fold

but thats just me

Im sure ill get slated lol

Thought I had better put a pic of me on here, so you knew what my ugly mug was really like
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 03:54:42 PM »

I play both mate. Im not the worlds greatest but I have had a few good results on both cash and torni. all im saying is that people get carried away with implied odds.

well this is certainly true, but the people that get carried away are those that play bad, and if thats the case they will just go broke anyways

if I call with  three clubs (another pretty hand) every hand, I might bust someones aces but in the long run against 4 other players surely I will lose. Even if I hit a flush with these kind of hands there is a high possibility of still being beaten.

Maybe, but if you are calling $30 preflop with 34 and the have AA, you stand to win whatever is in their stack, and only lose $30 when you miss. This is tremendous, but perilous if you misplay post flop (as per earlier comment). As for the "high possibility" of losing to a larger flush comment, thats wrong. Do you play pocket pairs, or do you fold them because you can still lose to a higher set when you hit? I'm struggling to wonder what hands you would play!

I personally play position and good cards, and stay away from pretty starting hands as they often are peoples undoing.

its fine to just play good cards against bad players, because they make enough mistakes for you to be able to only play good cards, but when you are playing at the higher levels ( i have no idea what level you play) people are more attentive, they notice you folding everything apart from group 1 sklansky hands, and either dont give you action at all, or give you action when your group 1 hands are in trouble.

as i said I am not the best, so this is only my view

same here
smithy69

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 04:08:15 PM »

all I am saying is he played the hand because of implied odds and implied odds only, and this unfortuently lost him alot of money. He put in 30 bucks to try and hit the flop,hit it and still lost over a grand. If he knew this player was weak, and a calling station why not wait for a monster as chances are you will get paid off sooner or later by him.

As I said I aint that great and this is only my opinion.

After he hits that flop, its hard to put that down and I understand that, but thats why playing hands like that will most times send you to the poor house.

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 04:16:54 PM »

all I am saying is he played the hand because of implied odds and implied odds only, and this unfortuently lost him alot of money. He put in 30 bucks to try and hit the flop,hit it and still lost over a grand. If he knew this player was weak, and a calling station why not wait for a monster as chances are you will get paid off sooner or later by him.

As I said I aint that great and this is only my opinion.

After he hits that flop, its hard to put that down and I understand that, but thats why playing hands like that will most times send you to the poor house.

Being results orientated in your thought process is in general a bad idea , but that is your perogative. gl to ya

smithy69

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »

but surely if you dont discuss the result, you lose the point of the conversation.

we are all in it to win money, so surely money won/lost is vital to the discussion

Alex Scott

The Mad Donkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »

for me this is a fold preflop, but thats just me

Really? I can't bring myself to turn down a potentially profitable situation like this. Maybe if everyone was very short stacked, but not when they're sat there with 100 big blinds or more.

You win the biggest pots in No Limit poker when you outdraw someone and they can't fold their hand. J-10s is a great hand for doing this in my opinion.

Often Outdrawn, Never Outplayed

http://www.alexscott.im
smithy69

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 04:43:19 PM »

Potentially a profitable hand, potentially a stack buster!!!!!!!!!!

Alex Scott

The Mad Donkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »

Yeah, but you can't worry about the worst case scenario all the time. You could flop a set and be up against a higher set if you call a raise with a medium pair like eights, but that shouldn't stop you doing it.

Oh, and by the way I am on the button in the hand I'm discussing, and I'm second to call the raise. Its not like I'm out of position and calling a raise in a small pot.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:11:03 PM by Alex Scott » Logged

Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 04:57:53 PM »

The same could be said about AA smithy.

Alex Scott

The Mad Donkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 05:13:48 PM »

One last thing - calling the turn is a mistake, at least according to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker, because if I could see my opponent's cards I would fold.

However, I think you're probably right that with the information I have about the players, and the way the hand has played out, I should call most of the time.

totalise

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 05:36:45 PM »

One last thing - calling the turn is a mistake, at least according to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker, because if I could see my opponent's cards I would fold.

However, I think you're probably right that with the information I have about the players, and the way the hand has played out, I should call most of the time.

the fundamental theorum of poker was/is partially a tongue in cheek dictum to try and get poker players thinking the correct way, ie you want to play hands in a manner that get better hands folding, and worse hands calling... also to get hands folding when they have the correct odds, and get them calling when they have the worse odds.

The problem with it as an absolute theorum is that its just plain wrong in so many situations .. as an example, imagine having someone say "i will move all in with any pair" and you call with 33 and they flip over 22.. according to this theorum you played perfectly, but at the same time you have played the hand in a manner that will eventually lead you to going broke

smithy69

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2006, 09:16:23 AM »

I always fold aces preflop, unless Im in the big blind, and will only raise if i have the nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember that for future blonde torni lolol

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: