blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  On the button
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On the button  (Read 1149 times)
thegaffer1
Probation

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:25:53 PM »

Comments plz on how to play this hand correctly.

On the button in a sat. blinds at 400/800, guy has 4600 and holding A9 on the button, the whole table folds to him. What play does he make.

The play he did make was all in with his A9 and got called by a guy on the bb with Q4 for all the remainder of his 3800 chips..of course the guy hit the Q and the other guy was walking. Was the Q4 a bad call or was the A9 on the button all in a bad move? the guy on the bb said he was getting 2 to 1...2 to 1 in what??

Do u make a weak looking raise and then fold to an all in or just put them all in?

There was  6 left in the sat and only 3 getting seats.

I ask because, i said that i would make the same play 99% of the time but another very good poker player  said the A9 move all in was wrong.

Comments plz...ty

thegaffer1
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:57:26 PM »

If he was in the top three, there's reason for him to fold, otherwise I'd move all-in all day on the button with A9, (or much worse!)

rivered

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:03:59 PM »

well the all in guy was getting short stacked relative to blinds - would be good to know the stack sizes of the SB and BB (and all the other plays come to think of it) and how aggressively they'd been defending their blinds up til then... that would play a pretty big part in the decision.  

I think this is an all or nothing playing in his position - you're pot committed after making a small raise, and a call is begging for a reraise against you.  So is A9 strong enough?... it's only 6 left, and 3 pay so it's important to know how big his stack is relative to everyone elses.  If he is the short stack by a way, then it's a borderline all in, as he could probably wait a round or so more for a stronger hand.  It looks too much like a desperate all in blind steal move and he's not got the goods to back it up.  If he's mediocre then I'd hold on, and let the others knock each other out before making any rash moves.

There's gotta be a way! He who dares wins! There's a million quids worth of gold out there - our gold. We can't just say 'bonjour' to it.
ruthless1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 10:43:58 PM »

For me the right move was to move all in. no good folding when its passed to you, you have to move and put the pressure on, it was a bad call from the q4 , even if it did look like a button steal, hes still got to think is his hand good enough to put all his chips in with a trash hand. If i was the bb i would have folded and not wanting to risk it with q4.
TillerMaN
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:17:08 AM »

The correct move is 100% to move all in. There is no debate =)

The correct move for the Q4 is 100% to fold, again no debate in my opinion.

He was not getting 2-1 pot odds either, he was getting only 1.6-1.

You did leave out how many chips the BB hand. This is kind of crucial information but since you left it out I assume he was just average or normal in which case the above stands. If he was a mega chip leader with only the top 3 out of the remaining 6 getting seats then his call would teeter over into being correct. However, nothing would stop the A9 push being correct here apart from 3 players all having to be all in on the next round with tiny short stacks.
Highstack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:40:45 AM »

Crucial pieces of information missing are teh stack sizes of the bb and the total chips in play. Can't really answer this without knowing those facts, but regardless of that, the all in from the A9 was definitely correct.

thegaffer1
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 05:41:04 PM »

called by a guy on the bb with Q4 for all the remainder of his 3800 chips.. as quoted above. So the BB had 800 in already and called with the remainder of his 3800 chips. Both players had 4600 chips left.

As for chips stacks around him , i dunno as i was'nt there.

Thnx all for the replys. The play i make is the same all in on the button.
Highstack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 02:15:58 AM »

called by a guy on the bb with Q4 for all the remainder of his 3800 chips.. as quoted above. So the BB had 800 in already and called with the remainder of his 3800 chips. Both players had 4600 chips left.

As for chips stacks around him , i dunno as i was'nt there.

Thnx all for the replys. The play i make is the same all in on the button.

I apologise if this is not articulate, I have just got in and I'm p*ssed as a fart!

I didn't realise this was his entire stack, I thought that you were saying the entire stack of the all in guy. If this is all his chips then the play is so poor that it is unbelievable. Wtf did he think he was beating? I am all for a gamble with odds if I'm chipped up, but this fella is having a laugh!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: