blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272675 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  *****OFFICIAL***** 2015 GOLF BETTING THREAD
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *****OFFICIAL***** 2015 GOLF BETTING THREAD  (Read 110091 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »

Disappointing to see Spieth couldn't close the last round again, no financial interest, but it can't be good for his confidence to keep losing tournaments in the last round. Well done to Kaymer for hanging on. I see Rory had a good last round again. I just can never back him at the price he starts.

Morning Ommy,

Point taken, & yes, "disappointing", but I think that might be, given his age (he is 20) a little harsh.

He was the only player bogey-free through the first 3 rounds, though 5 bogeys (partly offset by 3 birdies) in the Final round was a disappointment.  

In the Masters, yes, he failed to close it out, but he would have been the youngest ever winner if he had, & 2nd in any Major @ 20 can't be so bad, can it?

I think he still has much improvement in him - he certainly ought to at his age, Pro Golfers don't generally peak until they are much older.

He's an outstanding talent to my untrained eye.

I'd be interested in the views of the Rt Hon Adz & Doobs, Asianbabes.combobby, the veteran Karabiner, & our other golfie sorts, but I don't think we should be too down about this "failure".

Down the line, I'd rather back him at a juicy 25/1 for the US Open than most of those above him in the Market.

http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/us-open/winner

Likewise, he is still 40/1 for The Open, & for "value" I'd favour that over most of those ahead of him in the Market.

http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/open-championship/winner

On the bare facts, T-2nd in The Masters, & T-4th in the PGA beats everyone else, & he still looks the value to me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:49:46 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »

Disappointing to see Spieth couldn't close the last round again, no financial interest, but it can't be good for his confidence to keep losing tournaments in the last round. Well done to Kaymer for hanging on. I see Rory had a good last round again. I just can never back him at the price he starts.

Morning Ommy,

Point taken, & yes, "disappointing", but I think that might be, given his age (he is 20) a little harsh.

He was the only player bogey-free through the first 3 rounds, though 5 bogeys (partly offset by 3 birdies) in the Final round was a disappointment.  

In the Masters, yes, he failed to close it out, but he would have been the youngest ever winner if he had, & 2nd in any Major @ 20 can't be so bad, can it?

I think he still has much improvement in him - he certainly ought to at his age, Pro Golfers don't generally peak until they are much older.

I'd be interested in the views of the Rt Hon Adz & Doobs, Asianbabes.combobby, the veteran Karabiner, & our other golfie sorts, but I don't think we should be too down about this "failure".

Down the line, I'd rather back him at a juicy 25/1 for the US Open than most of those above him in the Market.

Likewise, he is still 40/1 for The Open, & for "value" I'd favour that over most of those ahead of him in the Market.

On the bare facts, T-2nd in The Masters, & T-4th in the PGA beats everyone else, & he still looks the value to me.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is a bit special and will certainly go on to win many tournaments and probably break a lot of records, time is certainly on his side and I hope he does. At the moment he is abit like Phil Mickleson, was coming second in quite a lot of major tournaments no so long ago then something clicked and he started winning the big ones (given there's a bit of an age gap). Let's hope his not like Colin Montgomerie (sorry for the comparison if your reading this Jordan ;-)) of course I say that in jest.

But the facts can be seen in many different ways, 6 top tens this year and no wins, 15 top tens in career and 1 win. I'm sure with that many top ten finishes even he would have expected to win a few more. (Maybe I'm being abit harsh on this bit, no sure) also as you point out he didn't have a bogey until the last round, but then he had 5, it's not the first time that has happened, but what it is making it do is bring him squarely into the realm of the bookie whom are making sure they cut his price at the first opportunity. I'm would not be so happy backing him at sub 25-1 at the moment. That's just me and I'm sure the people who know more about golf will come along and say that he is value.

Anyway it will all be alright, I'm sure a few of us have got a ticket or two for 100-1 somewhere........ Win Jordan win 
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »

I'd need to see how he handles a links course before diving in @ 40/1 for The Open however 100/1 which I believe Fred is on at looks good.

Great talent with no apparent weakness in his game.

I wouldn't be too worried about him not being able to out-duel a resurgent Kaymer, playing his best golf in years, down the stretch.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »

I had my usual wedge on Jordy going down the stretch and spoke to bobby1 yesterday morning. I suggested that he was similar to a thoroughbred racehorse cruising to the front when in the pack but not quite experienced enough to know what to do when he gets there. Bobby1 had only just had a similar discussion with a colleague. At this point I had pretty much a super book with all bases covered. Strangely enough despite my comments on TFT after round one, Kaymer was the only outcome that only saw me come out level, everyone else in the hunt was a winner, and Jordy was a big winner.

I adjusted my book accordingly, but still left Kaymer as a no win/lose play as I felt I had missed my own boat.

The whole thing played out as above with usual worst case scenario happening. Ho hum.

I am quite happy that Jordy will still come good as he becomes accustomed to the heat of the final day. My big concern and probably the reason he hasn't closed one out is his inexperienced bag man. He is probably great first few days, encouraging the lad to show his stuff, and go for stuff, but neither have any last day pedigree and I overheard the caddy recommend some patently bad options for Jordy last night, which cost him momentum, ie high floaty stuff that needed to land on a coin rather than safety first, bump and run shots. Going for a par five rather than lay up etc. I'm sure they will work it out, but for now I fear my punting will continue with big plays on Mr Speith and being prepared to press the lay button on Sunday in order to make it keep paying.

As Omm said the bench mark was 33s, it now down to 25s, and if he starts lower, just wait for the 25s at some point early doors as he is rarely an out of the blocks merchant.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

Morning Ommy,

'Going well in behind leaders, led two furlongs out but looked reluctant,veered under pressure with high head carriage, swished tail and faded final furlong' ~~~+

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »

Morning Ommy,

'Going well in behind leaders, led two furlongs out but looked reluctant,veered under pressure with high head carriage, swished tail and faded final furlong' ~~~+

Nah nah, not having that - the jockey (caddie) had a shocker.

Change the jockey, job done.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »

Morning Ommy,

Nah nah, not having that - the jockey (caddie) had a shocker.

Change the jockey, job done.

I definitely think a veteran caddy would help.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »

Don't know if you saw this Tony but there was a jock unseated last week after his horse hit a swan. It reminded me of my fav race report from a bank holiday Monday meeting about 20 years ago.

Was something like 'going well, took second four out, unseated rider when hit streaker on home turn'

Can't be many of those in the form book.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »

Don't know if you saw this Tony but there was a jock unseated last week after his horse hit a swan. It reminded me of my fav race report from a bank holiday Monday meeting about 20 years ago.

Was something like 'going well, took second four out, unseated rider when hit streaker on home turn'

Can't be many of those in the form book.

Yes, I caught a brief clip of it in the Office, Oddschecker have live race feeds, & ever since, I've been trying to find it on You Tube. The Swan, not the streaker.

Pretty sure the Swan was actually a Clive Brittain trained goose.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:16 AM »

Did Clive enter the swan in the Derby Tikay?

Did you see the "void" race at Ludlow yesterday Tikay? All a bit bizarre

A good friend of mine who has been having a bad time had punted the fav who was big prices in the morning and looked likely to win (fair way to go admittedly)

He tweeted the following

"I literally cannot believe that. I'm not saying that had won, but it would have taken an act of God to stop it. And He takes Sundays off."

"Back the biggest cert of the year at 6/1, it's about to win a distance and they start waving yellow flags ffs. Christ on a bike."

"Idea: Plant group of six students with yellow flags around the course on day of next big gamble. If not going to plan DEPLOY FLAGS."

Fair to say he was a bit miffed!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »

A good friend of mine who has been having a bad time had punted the fav who was big prices in the morning and looked likely to win (fair way to go admittedly)

He tweeted the following

"I literally cannot believe that. I'm not saying that had won, but it would have taken an act of God to stop it. And He takes Sundays off."

"Back the biggest cert of the year at 6/1, it's about to win a distance and they start waving yellow flags ffs. Christ on a bike."

"Idea: Plant group of six students with yellow flags around the course on day of next big gamble. If not going to plan DEPLOY FLAGS."

Ha!

Did Clive enter the swan in the Derby? Probably in the Guineas, Arc, Kings Stand, Ascot GC, the lot.

I jest a little, I had - have -  much admiration for him, one of my treasured memories was of a Filly named "Pebbles" he trained to win the 1000 Guineas, & much else besides. He probably entered her in the Derby, too, mind. Pebbles was out of Sharpen Up, of course, must have been worth a fortune as a broodmare. No idea if she threw any decent animals though.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »

He tweeted the following

Ha!

Did Clive enter the swan in the Derby? Probably in the Guineas, Arc, Kings Stand, Ascot GC, the lot.

I jest a little, I had - have -  much admiration for him, one of my treasured memories was of a Filly named "Pebbles" he trained to win the 1000 Guineas, & much else besides. He probably entered her in the Derby, too, mind. Pebbles was out of Sharpen Up, of course, must have been worth a fortune as a broodmare. No idea if she threw any decent animals though.

Can't believe you didn't mention Terimon.  If ever a horse illustrated what the trainer was about.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »

Anyway, back to the golf.....

I just read that they played out the Madeira Open even though a caddie died on the 9th fairway!.

Amazing greed these days.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »

He tweeted the following

Ha!

Can't believe you didn't mention Terimon.  If ever a horse illustrated what the trainer was about.

Ooh, forgot all about Terimon - 2nd in the Derby @ 500/1.

Was out of Bustino (he of the "Race of the Century" with Grundy), & owned by Lady Beaverbrook, who habitually gave her horses names with 7 letters. 

She owned a particular fave of mine, Boldboy, a tremendous 7f animal, won all sorts of races, but went a bit funny in the head & had to be cut. Trained by Major Hern, ridden by Joe Mercer, a standing dish @ Newbury.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »

Anyway, back to the golf.....

I just read that they played out the Madeira Open even though a caddie died on the 9th fairway!.

Amazing greed these days.

Ahh yes, this is a golf thread. I get carried away.

That tragic death yesterday & how they handled it is beyond disgraceful. Had it been a Golfer in the Tourney, of course, they'd have cancelled the thing there & then, with oodles of media crocodile tears.

Sponsors, TV, bla bla.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: