blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272684 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 651 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6357284 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9690 on: October 18, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »

You're using it to view this!

The screen? Or my glasses?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: October 18, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »

Just use the streaming version... all you have to do is press play in your web browser.

I've highlighted the words in your statement that are likely to have confused Tikay. Can you see how this might not be as simple to explain as you'd think.

Look, Lord Funny Hat, you are in danger of becoming as funny as AndrewT & boltpp. Pack it in, right?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: October 18, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »

I adored Duxford tikay, we spoke about it a while ago if you remember.

My best bit was the WW2 American collection in the sloping roof hall.

Cracking day out.

When we were on the train the other day I couldn't help but notice you peer out and crane your neck as we passed the RAF Museum Hendon. Another good place to visit given a spare half a day..especially for the Lancaster bomber.

Yes, I recall the convo Rich.

The American Museum at Duxford - bizarrely, I never went in as Americana holds no interest to me - but I stood & admired that very fine building for more than an hour. The rainwater drainage system is quite interesting, actually, because the roof profile must generate vast water flows in heavy rain.

Good spot on the train the other day - & you are right. I always see that place at Hendon from the train, & want to go visit it some day. As it happens, I was trying to spot the Wembley "Arch", which is really something, & can be seen, at night all illuminated, from many-a-mile. A horrendous & disgraceful waste of good money, with no practical use or benefit, but well worth seeing. It just symbolises to me "waste, & incompetenence by the buffoons at the FA"

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9693 on: October 18, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »

Just use the streaming version... all you have to do is press play in your web browser.

I've highlighted the words in your statement that are likely to have confused Tikay. Can you see how this might not be as simple to explain as you'd think.

Look, Lord Funny Hat, you are in danger of becoming as funny as AndrewT & boltpp. Pack it in, right?

That's a little harsh.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: October 18, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »

That's a little harsh.

With hindsight, I agree. I apologise to bolt.

wormster

View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: October 19, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »

Cracking day out.

When we were on the train the other day I couldn't help but notice you peer out and crane your neck as we passed the RAF Museum Hendon. Another good place to visit given a spare half a day..especially for the Lancaster bomber.

A quick question for you Tikay. What do you think of the Dambusters mission. I mean that from an engineering aspect with Barnes Wallis & the "bouncing bomb"  & the sheer bravery it took 617 Squaron to fly those HUGE Lancaster Bombers low in to a well defended target.

I only ask as a few weeks ago I was playing golf at Silvermere Golf Course where the 17th & 18th play over the lake where Wallis did somes tests for the bomb.

After trying to explain the concept to my american mate (surprise surprise he had never heard of the dambusters!), I took the time to read up on it again on the internet & it's fascinating stuff.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: October 19, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »

Cracking day out.

A quick question for you Tikay. What do you think of the Dambusters mission. I mean that from an engineering aspect with Barnes Wallis & the "bouncing bomb"  & the sheer bravery it took 617 Squaron to fly those HUGE Lancaster Bombers low in to a well defended target.

I only ask as a few weeks ago I was playing golf at Silvermere Golf Course where the 17th & 18th play over the lake where Wallis did somes tests for the bomb.

After trying to explain the concept to my american mate (surprise surprise he had never heard of the dambusters!), I took the time to read up on it again on the internet & it's fascinating stuff.

Amazed by the whole thing. The genius of the idea, so far-fetched most thought it was stupid. And the bravery of the pilots.

Never, have so many, been so grateful.......or something like that.

wormster

View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: October 19, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »

Cracking day out.

Amazed by the whole thing. The genius of the idea, so far-fetched most thought it was stupid. And the bravery of the pilots.

Can you imagine Wallis going to see some RAF suit & I saying "I've got this idea...."

And it wasn't just about getting the bomb to spin at the right revolutions & letting it bounce into the dam. The bomb had to STOP bouncing just before the dam wall so that it would sink to the bottom & then explode, thus destroying the dam wall. I think 617 had several runs at it before getting it right. Boy's own stuff really.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: October 19, 2008, 03:27:16 AM »

Answers later this evening to Posts by Mantis (excellent, only 50% right, but thank you), Sicilian, Flushy (a Post I just don't understand) & others.

What post was that? The one about how you called pre with A8?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: October 19, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »

Answers later this evening to Posts by Mantis (excellent, only 50% right, but thank you), Sicilian, Flushy (a Post I just don't understand) & others.

No, this (extract from) one......

Next up, with Hands being so difficult to play, as nobody would Pass anything

To which you replied......

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: October 19, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »

wormster said.....

Can you imagine Wallis going to see some RAF suit & I saying "I've got this idea...."

That must have been some "pitch" he made! He'd have been thrown out by anyone even half sane.

Extraordinary, the whole thing.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: October 19, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »

If nobody passes anything then hands become very easy to play, you just played your hand for its value!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: October 19, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »

If nobody passes anything then hands become very easy to play, you just played your hand for its value!

For you, maybe, but not for me. There are not many hands I can Raise with that would welcome 6 Callers. I sure do not want 6 Callers when I Raise with AK, because I miss the flop most times, & need to fire again - & that just won't work with a family pot. Hence my massive over-raise.

And that was what was happening - every Bet was called by, literally, half the Table. Now, I eventually got them all sussed, & worked out how to combat it, & I really enjoyed the challenge. But I did find it difficult to play against - which is exactly what I said.

The two big hands I lost were both to players who had just joined the Table, & I had no handle on them at all, which contributed to my (very avoidable) demise.

The only player I fely comfy playing pots with, was Garry Bush - the 2004 European Player of the Year! - because I felt I knew where I was with him, as we've played together so many times.

Garry is great Table Company. Once you get him talking, he has a lovely take on the game, analyses hands most interestingly, & knows how many beans make 5. I quite miss playing with him regularly, but he does not play much these days. I'm not sure, but I think he works in the Betting Industry nowadays.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: October 19, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »

Don't be in a rush to win every pot you play, i can't believe this is me telling you that, anyway so you raise with AK and miss, just give it up, wait for the next time. When you do hit in a 6 way pot chances are someone else has hit as well so you will get paid nicely

ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: October 19, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »

Cracking day out.

And it wasn't just about getting the bomb to spin at the right revolutions & letting it bounce into the dam. The bomb had to STOP bouncing just before the dam wall so that it would sink to the bottom & then explode, thus destroying the dam wall. I think 617 had several runs at it before getting it right. Boy's own stuff really.

Wasn't it also a total waste of time, energy and life, though ?

I'm scaping up vague memories of stuff long since read ( I think he invented a 'Tallboy' bomb which was equally as amazing but not as famous ), and if I remember rightly the Dambusting raid cost fortunes in time and money to develop the bomb, convert the 'planes, and train the crews.

Then the raid itself cost the lives of many of those brave men.

And the 'Krauts' only went and repaired the damage within a week or so.  Not fair at all.
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 651 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: