blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Sport's Greatest Captain
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sport's Greatest Captain  (Read 7280 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »

Team sports require leadership not just in the dressing room, but on the field of battle. Sometimes, the team runs itself through individual greatness or a lack of competition. But often it's a person wearing an armband that brings players together, into line and delivers the message that's needed to achieve success. Not all great captains are on winning sides, but help maximise the team's potential. Some lead with words, others by example.

So, who is your greatest captain? Some to get you started...

Richie McCaw, the All Blacks' world cup winning skipper, one of the outstanding players of his generation who commands respect from everyone on the pitch

Alan Hanson, Liverpool's legendary football captain, who led not just a team to European success but a city in mourning after the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters.

Sir Viv Richards, who lost none of his fifty tests as captain of the dominant West Indies cricket team

Click to see full-size image.

Tony Jacklin, the most successful Ryder Cup captain of all time

How about Lou "Iron Horse" Gehrig, who captained the New York Yankees to three consecutive world series titles from 1936 and six in total? He set the record of 2,130 consecutive games (a record which stood until 1995, if you please), picked up multiple awards but was not the team's best player (he played behind Babe Ruth). His was the first jersey ever to be retired.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »

Don't know too much about Rugby Union, but in his pomp, during the 2003 (?) World Cup, this man seemed to be a wonderful inspiration, & a man who led from the front. He did everything specified in Tal's opening para.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »

It is now unthinkable that, in our lifetime, England won the Football World Cup.

Bobby was calm personified, & the team revolved around him. Never rushed, hardly ever went to ground, inspired his team.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »

all the names above are great captains obv.

but its massively skewed by who you captain.

if richie mccaw was fijian and winning 1 game in 3 and never getting close to a world cup?

he needs the talent around him to captain

viv richards and clive lloyd?

where are they without holding, roberts, marshall and garner and with 4 medium pacers trundling down on flat wickets?

so give me leaders who elevate teams who are not the best in their sport at the time to winning when they shouldn't.....

give me this man

i quote

"Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting led Australia through a period of utter domination of world cricket through the 1990s and 2000s but none of that would have been possible without Border. Inheriting a side in utter disarray in the mid-1980s, by the time Border had retired in 1994 Australia were playing the brand of dogged, determined cricket that has brought them so much success since. The Baggy Green are made in his image."

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »

Fails the Tighty test in that he was captaining a fairly good team to begin with but still a heck of a leader:

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »

Mike Brearly was a way better captain than he was a cricketer.

Does that qualify?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

Willie Miller , how on earth he managed to get a team of journeyman pros to win the cup winners cup and the super cup I have no idea

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:52 PM »

Mike Brearly was a way better captain than he was a cricketer.

Does that qualify?

Was going to put Brearly also, top class captain.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:00:52 PM »

Willie Miller , how on earth he managed to get a team of journeyman pros to win the cup winners cup and the super cup I have no idea

Not entirely sure that Aberdeen team was full of journeymen!  Half the team were mainstays in Scotland's last great national team which routinely got to WC finals.  Also there was the little factor of a super hungry Sir Alex.

Good shout though.  All my family are from Aberdeen and they have always been my Scottish team.  Been to Pitt numerous times on summer holidays as a kid just after the era you were talking about.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:04:11 PM by arbboy » Logged
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »

Not entirely sure that Aberdeen team was full of journeymen!  Half the team were mainstays in Scotland's last great national team which routinely got to WC finals.  Also there was the little factor of a super hungry Sir Alex. 

Good shout though.

Billy McNeill >>>>> willie Miller.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:39 PM »

Going back to Tighty's good captain's on shit teams i always thought Naseer and Atherton were two really good captains who just had no talent on their respective test teams at the time.

Martin Johnson though is the pick for me (the coach was a big part of the plan as well).  They had no business rocking up on the other side of the world and winning that world cup with the sqaud they had talent wise.  Johnson and Woodward literally got every player in that squad to perform to their max for the 2 years leading up to that WC and squeezed every ounce of effort/talent out of every player.  Woodward changed the whole training culture around Rugby from the sport turning pro and Johnson is/was a huge fan of NFL training methods to give his team relatively large training advances over their rivals.  Johnson would have been in no part hugely responsible for 'selling' these new training techniques/nutrition etc to 'old school rugby players' used to training twice a week after work and having a few pints a few times a week on top.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:12:15 PM by arbboy » Logged
ruud

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »

Francois Pienaar - inspired a disjointed team to respect their jersey again and beat one of the greatest all-blacks teams of all time to win a World Cup on home soil
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »

Francois Pienaar - inspired a disjointed team to respect their jersey again and beat one of the greatest all-blacks teams of all time to win a World Cup on home soil

every name mentioned in the thread is good. Pienaar is a good shout too, had a significance as captain that went beyond sport

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »

Vinny Jones?  Proper old school non PC methods that wouldn't be allowed in today's dressing rooms but he certainly was the leader of a gang of players which punched well above their weight.
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 05:17:24 PM »

Vinny Jones?  Proper old school non PC methods that wouldn't be allowed in today's dressing rooms but he certainly was the leader of a gang of players which punched well above their weight.

Was just about to mention this man:

Still can't believe we beat that 80's Liverpool team, what a day!

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: