blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 539621 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: October 13, 2016, 12:42:46 PM »

So after a Blitzkrieg of a migraine on Sunday. This week has/is a fun week. Just going in and doing what I feel like...

For the first time in my life, that has been a lot of curls. Back to the old days!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 13, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »

I never thought I'd utter these words but inspired by Ant I thought I'd get back on the deadlifts......

Legs day today which I've really neglected for the last couple of months so I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. Anyway I started with some hack squat machine. It's a really good machine where I go and I feel a really good burn in my quads.

Move on to RDL just doing 60kg for two sets but they were ridiculously easy so I thought 'what the hell' and flicked another plate on. Managed 6 reps at 100kg which is a PB by around 20kg Smiley

Anyway the initial lift for the RDL felt easy enough so I stuck at 100kg and got 3 x 5 for deadlifts. That's a recent PB and again felt easy enough that I was tempted to go a bit heavier but decided to be sensible and stick at 100kg.

I'm confident that my form was good and going from RDL to deadlift definitely seems to help here.

So a really great day in the gym for me finishing off a great week with just arms to go on Saturday.

Anyway I'm off to eat some beans, lentils, quorn and shit.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 13, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »

I never thought I'd utter these words but inspired by Ant I thought I'd get back on the deadlifts......

Legs day today which I've really neglected for the last couple of months so I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. Anyway I started with some hack squat machine. It's a really good machine where I go and I feel a really good burn in my quads.

Move on to RDL just doing 60kg for two sets but they were ridiculously easy so I thought 'what the hell' and flicked another plate on. Managed 6 reps at 100kg which is a PB by around 20kg Smiley

Anyway the initial lift for the RDL felt easy enough so I stuck at 100kg and got 3 x 5 for deadlifts. That's a recent PB and again felt easy enough that I was tempted to go a bit heavier but decided to be sensible and stick at 100kg.

I'm confident that my form was good and going from RDL to deadlift definitely seems to help here.

So a really great day in the gym for me finishing off a great week with just arms to go on Saturday.

If you get your confidence with DLs you could hit some HUUUUGE numbers.

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 14, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »

I did upper body today for the first time in a decent routine for months.

It was an eye opener and I was disappointed. I felt overly stiff and a little bit weak, of course after a layoff this is normal, but i was lead to believe because i was starting to look better on top as i am naturally getting leaner that this meant i was getting stronger which is ridiculous obviously. So here was my session:

10 mins jog
dynamic stetch

dumbell shoulder press - 1x8 1x6 1x4 1x2 at 15kg - really unhappy about this, i struggled a lot. I think my seating position generally during the day doesn't help, but i am just try and crack on to get stronger

lat pull down machine - level 5 - 4x15 - this one felt something could go on the over straining front so i reduced it to a very manageable routine.

bench press - 30kg 4x6-12 - I know i could do more, but i felt stiff, and that was the main issue with everything I was being held back by stiffness, I think that is mainly because i haven't done it in a while rather than poor warm up so i just need to get through em.

bent over row dumbell - 24kg 4x6-12 - I was most impressed by this one, not far off what i was capable before of doing, and I need to crack on getting higher.

Side bend dumbell - 24kg - 2x12

sit ups - 2x20-30

chest fly machine - level 6 - 4x 6-12

Warm down

So yeh a bit annoyed but I know this is a starting block and I need to crack on.

I really like this routine. I want to make a couple of suggestions so let me know what you think please.

For balance, if we are doing chest flys then we should be doing some sort of reverse fly as well. Sometimes we can jump in facing the chest fly machine, or you may have to grab the weights or cables.

Instead of a lateral flexion movement (ie side bends) , consider a twisting movement instead for example woodcutters or russian twists. Instead of an sternum dominant movement (ie sit-ups) , consider a pelvis dominant movement instead for example reverse crunches or mountain climbers.

Also, what does your dynamic warmup involve?

Reverse crunches and woodcutters are going in to replace in the next session and I will repost back with how they feel, thanks.

Dynamic warmup probably is on the basic side. I do leg kicks, jumping twists, arm windmilling. I just get creative. I also do something i know probably won't be looked at in a good light of 5 seconds a piece static stretching which is so short i sort of make it more a dynamic stretch, keeping movement involved rather than the static aspect. It seems to have worked well for me thus far, but definitely open to a different opinion for a pre workout routine.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 14, 2016, 06:27:22 PM »

Ant. Chill the f**k out please.

You seem disappointed with everything and it's not a great attitude at all. It suggests that you expect things to happen too quickly and that'll lead to pushing yourself too much and then inevitable injuries.

Adding 5kg to an 80kg deadlift is not "paltry". Add 5kg per week for 6 months and you're lifting more than Sean or Harvey have ever moved.

15kg for a shoulder press is fine although looking at your numbers you should be going lighter. a 30kg bench press seems to fit nicely with a 10-15kg dumbbell press so don't worry. I doubt you have issues with your seating position you just have weak shoulders. They'll get stronger but not if you overdo it and injure them so take it steady.

I'd be interested to know what you felt "could go" on the lat pull down? It's one of the safest machines there is done properly and there's pretty much nothing can go wrong. Are you rocking back as you pull down? If you are then don't, it's a pull down not a hyper extension.

Can you do wide grip chins? If you switch to them you should eliminate anything that "could go" although at first you might be struggling to do even one....

I'd scrap the flyes and replace with another back movement by the way. Either that or something for the rear part of your shoulders. Face pulls could be a good one to throw in.

I'd go back, chest, back, shoulders, back, abs, abs. Slotting abs in before a final chest exercise doesn't seem a great plan so just do them at the end.

Stick at it, take your time and don't expect fast gains. Having lost so much weight over such a long period you must realise that changes take time. This is going to be a lot harder than losing weight I can assure you but it'll be worth it.

Fair play to ask me to chill out haha, i get intense with most things i go into, and it probably shows most generally on this forum, which probably surprises most people when they see me irl and im as placid as they come, ha.

I am a little too hard on myself and i do need to tone that down and be more patient. I do have a habit of not keeping up a routine, probably due to doing too much too soon so its solid advice which i will take. I am however, very careful in not going up the weights too quickly as generally I have been great at injury prevention with weights sessions and i hope that continues.

On the Lat Pull Down machine what i felt could go was more me noticing how the very corner of my shoulders seemed tight when i did this particular exercise. It is nearly certainly my seating position annoyingly, as i rest of hands very high and to the side, but with me keeping the exercise up i should get more limber.

Wide grip chins i will give a try to and I will ditch flys and try a face pull next time around too and I will make sure to arrange the workout better for next time. Cheers for the input.

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 14, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »

Diet - Still whole foods plant based and the lean gains have been amazing. Still around 14st 4lbs at 6'4, so not exactly skinny.

I am pounding on the lentils more for the protein content when i make my meals, they take up most of the plate, and I am still winging it in terms of how much protein i take in exactly, but i will continue like this until I can be bothered to change.

I have dramatically increased the beans/lentils in my meals though and feel like there has been a difference, so I am not being a complete joke.

So all things good here. The new gym membership has got me off my arse and back into a routine, and I hope to be at my fittest/most poweful shortly. The deadlifts have been a God send in terms of freedom of movement and have made everything easier.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

If I was a wizard with quoting I would highlight all the parts where those two words are going to go a long way into solving the problem. You could argue protein in general, as one shake probably isn't the defining factor.

But yeah what Matt said, gotta chill. I don't want to be abrasive/rude/negative. But when a human is 16-20 stone. Losing weight is really easy. It is actually an effort to keep it there. You are actively smashing in KCALs to maintain that weight.

Where you are at now, progress is just slow. If it gets annoying, go down to your local race track and ask for some horse hormones. If you want to remain human, just enjoy the process Smiley

The process with me will be to gauge how much protein i am getting anyway in my diet, work out a standardised good number for me to reach for protein, see how far i am behind, see if it is possible to make that up with legumes. If not then I will find a suitable protein powder.

That process starts when i can be bothered to measure my food.

Don't take that as a slap in the face to your advice, I am grateful to it all and from others on here. But i know myself in this spot, and i am going to sit on doing this for a while. The diet I am on at the moment anyway is in the least okay for my goals. I will make the diet optimal towards my needs eventually and hopefully soon.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 14, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »

Consult a psychiatrist.

Haha.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 14, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »

If you get your confidence with DLs you could hit some HUUUUGE numbers.

Great stuff generally and keep it up.

Also to the rest of you generally of course, I'm unfortunately for you lot, subscribed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:38:27 PM by Ant040689 » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 14, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »

Diet - Still whole foods plant based and the lean gains have been amazing. Still around 14st 4lbs at 6'4, so not exactly skinny.

I am pounding on the lentils more for the protein content when i make my meals, they take up most of the plate, and I am still winging it in terms of how much protein i take in exactly, but i will continue like this until I can be bothered to change.

I have dramatically increased the beans/lentils in my meals though and feel like there has been a difference, so I am not being a complete joke.

So all things good here. The new gym membership has got me off my arse and back into a routine, and I hope to be at my fittest/most poweful shortly. The deadlifts have been a God send in terms of freedom of movement and have made everything easier.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

If I was a wizard with quoting I would highlight all the parts where those two words are going to go a long way into solving the problem. You could argue protein in general, as one shake probably isn't the defining factor.

But yeah what Matt said, gotta chill. I don't want to be abrasive/rude/negative. But when a human is 16-20 stone. Losing weight is really easy. It is actually an effort to keep it there. You are actively smashing in KCALs to maintain that weight.

Where you are at now, progress is just slow. If it gets annoying, go down to your local race track and ask for some horse hormones. If you want to remain human, just enjoy the process Smiley

The process with me will be to gauge how much protein i am getting anyway in my diet, work out a standardised good number for me to reach for protein, see how far i am behind, see if it is possible to make that up with legumes. If not then I will find a suitable protein powder.

Don't take that as a slap in the face to your advice, I am grateful to it all and from others on here. But i know myself in this spot, and i am going to sit on doing this for a while. The diet I am on at the moment anyway is in the least okay for my goals. I will make the diet optimal towards my needs eventually and hopefully soon.

How do you know if you haven't tried the alternative yet?

You said that you hope to be at your fittest / most powerful soon. Well a huge part of that process is your nutrition so you to start measuring your food now and find out if you're low on protein or not.

"I hope to be at my fittest/most poweful shortly"

Is not going to happen whilst......

"I am still winging it in terms of how much protein i take in exactly, but i will continue like this until I can be bothered to change."

"That process starts when i can be bothered to measure my food."

Sorry mate but that's just how it is.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:20 PM »

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

You said that you hope to be at your fittest / most powerful soon. Well a huge part of that process is your nutrition so you to start measuring your food now and find out if you're low on protein or not.

"I am still winging it in terms of how much protein i take in exactly, but i will continue like this until I can be bothered to change."

Point taken and you are right and I guess I always knew that. I'm on it and will report back shortly.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 14, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »

I wouldn't mind hitting my driver an additional 20/30 yards off the tee to offset my age-related diminishing power and co-ordination.

Could there be a gentle excercise regimen to boost my core and leg strength?

Core strength and shoulder mobility are key. I have two guys that come to me for general health, but after a few weeks found out they play golf and basically have everything as 'golf based'. Then bonus is it helps with everyday life etc too.

Mobility through the shoulders is really important so you can get the full leverage of your swing, and then obviously core strength so you stay aligned.

As PokerBroker says, it is probably worth getting a few months of sessions to work on it. Where abouts are you based, I might be able to recommend someone?

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Nottingham and Matt Russell is my PT elect although I might be slightly past my sell-by date for full leverage.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 14, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »

I wouldn't mind hitting my driver an additional 20/30 yards off the tee to offset my age-related diminishing power and co-ordination.

Could there be a gentle excercise regimen to boost my core and leg strength?

Core strength and shoulder mobility are key. I have two guys that come to me for general health, but after a few weeks found out they play golf and basically have everything as 'golf based'. Then bonus is it helps with everyday life etc too.

Mobility through the shoulders is really important so you can get the full leverage of your swing, and then obviously core strength so you stay aligned.

As PokerBroker says, it is probably worth getting a few months of sessions to work on it. Where abouts are you based, I might be able to recommend someone?

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Nottingham and Matt Russell is my PT elect although I might be slightly past my sell-by date for full leverage.

You would be surprised, I have seen some pretty crazy progress from the more mature end of a client base.

And if it is something you enjoy, golf, it is 100% worth it. I think you can get enough progress from just doing banded dislocates and general shoulder mobility stuff. Then add some squats/lunges/leg press. You add stability there, and any sort of weighted rotation, i.e. the wood chop on the cables (youtube).

One thing is certain, there is no sell-by-date for fitness and I wholeheartedly believe that.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 14, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

I 100% agree. There are a few things that I do that are suboptimal I just can't be bothered to change it yet. But at some point I will get annoyed enough to change it. I totally understand where you mean about protein. Just don't complain when you ache, cos that will be the solution, or total KCALs. I don't complain about having no abs, because I fully understand the process to get them, i just don't want to do it. Smiley standard smiley face there to show I wasn't being to aggro.

This is slightly aggro, how do you know your diet is okay for your goals? Thats constructive aggro, hopefully to spur you into thinking about it slightly more critically.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 14, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

Protein powder.

Ooops, should have read on.

As ever, Matt puts it better than me.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 14, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »

So my fun week is over, back to training properly again next week. Exhausted my love for training arms and calves for the next few months.

Back to squats and rack pulls next week.

Going to throw in some gentle presses next week post shoulder and see where we get.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: