blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What do you think when you see this sort of thing in the Online chat box?....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think when you see this sort of thing in the Online chat box?....  (Read 9573 times)
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »

Always Turn chat off , as generally it serves no positive purpose

Yes, easy. But I'm trying to find out why.

It does not bother me, personally, as such, not at all. I suppose I do feel rather sorry for them, but thats all.

Appreciate you are trying to understand but some people can be difficult to fathom , I suppose you could ask "why do some people read The Sun newpaper ?"  Parallels ?

I think Andrew T has summed it up pretty well

"There are legions of annoying, boorish, moronic dipshits in the world.

In real life I stay away from those people.

Online tourneys have random seat draws  Sad "
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

Tikay might not like this but I think it's good

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »

I may or may not like it, which is not the point, if it helps me understand it, I'd really like to hear why.

Its nothing to do with my personal views as such. That is a whole different ball game. We'd best not go there. Ever. Wink
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:18:10 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

Listening.....
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »

That's definitely the worse I have seen

I normally find a little "boooooooooom" sets these people off a little more

But one thing is certain, they certainly need a break from the game
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »

Reason as to why?  They are yet to invent a computer screen that can punch you on the nose.

Seriously it's as simple as that.  For different reasons a lot of people enjoy the pain and discomfort of others, most people suppress these feelings as they are wrong and immoral.  However people get a buzz out of affecting people.  The lighter souls in life feel better about themselves after they help someone and you can make the case that they've actually helped someone to make themselves feel better about theirselves and therefore it's all for selfish reasons.

Others prefer the much easier route of making other peoples' days worse than their own.  'Something bad has happened to me, I want you to feel worse than I do.'  That one is normally a snap reaction, heat of the moment 'I'm disappointed, someone else must be to blame, someone else must pay' sort of reaction.

A few down the bottom end of the spectrum have an almost fetish like enjoyment of the discomfort of others, and will actively try to upset and affect other people in a negative way.  It's how they get their buzz and give themselves validation.

And on the internet there is an assumed anonymity which makes all of the above consequence free in the mind of the perpetrator (although as we have seen in recent Twitter and Facebook related court cases, this is now no longer true as a rule).

Cliffs:  People have always done stupid and hurtful things to other people.  Technology allows us to do this in brand new ways.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »

Adds to the scene of the game perhaps allowing players to play a little out of line to get one-upsmanship on each other. Also makes the game more interesting to play in as it is getting heated, rather than a somewhat stale affair?
Hawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »

Reason as to why?  They are yet to invent a computer screen that can punch you on the nose.

Seriously it's as simple as that.  For different reasons a lot of people enjoy the pain and discomfort of others, most people suppress these feelings as they are wrong and immoral.  However people get a buzz out of affecting people.  The lighter souls in life feel better about themselves after they help someone and you can make the case that they've actually helped someone to make themselves feel better about theirselves and therefore it's all for selfish reasons.

Others prefer the much easier route of making other peoples' days worse than their own.  'Something bad has happened to me, I want you to feel worse than I do.'  That one is normally a snap reaction, heat of the moment 'I'm disappointed, someone else must be to blame, someone else must pay' sort of reaction.

A few down the bottom end of the spectrum have an almost fetish like enjoyment of the discomfort of others, and will actively try to upset and affect other people in a negative way.  It's how they get their buzz and give themselves validation.

And on the internet there is an assumed anonymity which makes all of the above consequence free in the mind of the perpetrator (although as we have seen in recent Twitter and Facebook related court cases, this is now no longer true as a rule).

Cliffs:  People have always done stupid and hurtful things to other people.  Technology allows us to do this in brand new ways.

The highlighted bit made me lol,

I did get some abuse aimed at me for a while for certain update threads I use to do, never bothered me tbf, as only use to do them to add a bit of entertainment and try and get people to enjoy a nights poker, most people enjoyed them (I hope).

Does chatbox abuse stop me enjoying poker? Not really but my skin is thicker than most and seeing someone have a rant does make me chuckle at times, but if they start getting out of order ill always say something or report it whoever they are.

"Golf is a game that can't be won, only played"

"Look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, but I am thinking, 'I am going to bury you"
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 02:14:58 PM »

I had an amusing meeting with someone at the welcome party of UKIPT Galway last year. A reg that I had been sitting a lot and running pretty hot against on ipoker that would say all the things under the sun. Wishing cancer, I'm gunna find out where you live and shoot your family etc. etc.

I doubt I'll forget the look on his face when I told him my screen name. He was just a regular 19 year old guy, was extremely sheepish and embarrassed when I reminded him in front of a lot of people the kind of stuff that he said. Played him since and he hasn't said a word.

The disconnect that a keyboard and a monitor gives you between what you say and the consequences of your actions can change people greatly as we all know. I'd suggest that most of the people that do this kind of stuff are reasonable people though, and would be extremely embarrassed if they had to confront those on the receiving end.

For me, the inner levels of frustration they must feel to want to type stuff like that is punishment enough.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »

Idiots in the chat box almost entirely put my mother off online poker. She plays on Sky Poker now, which I presume is the nicest chat box wise (but also assume is where most of the quotes from the OP came from). My mother represents the hobby new depositing demographic we all desperately need in poker, so I personally feel this is a bigger issue than a lot of people might think. Poker needs to be a lot more fun and social across the board.

As a player on the receiving end, never had a problem with it, possibly because I used to play at Napoleons where the regs would say much worse to your face. The one interweb thing that really dumbfounds me is calculated trolling over long periods of time. A momentary loss of inhibition behind the safety of the chat box I can understand why it would happen, but people who waste their own time because they don't like something on the interwebs makes no sense to me at all.

Oh and fudge the lot of you, you muthajammers.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »

i anti rail one guy, almost every night and send him daily abusive twitter messages Cheesy

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

i anti rail one guy, almost every night and send him daily abusive twitter messages Cheesy
John Black?  Wink

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »

I had an amusing meeting with someone at the welcome party of UKIPT Galway last year. A reg that I had been sitting a lot and running pretty hot against on ipoker that would say all the things under the sun. Wishing cancer, I'm gunna find out where you live and shoot your family etc. etc.

I doubt I'll forget the look on his face when I told him my screen name. He was just a regular 19 year old guy, was extremely sheepish and embarrassed when I reminded him in front of a lot of people the kind of stuff that he said. Played him since and he hasn't said a word.

The disconnect that a keyboard and a monitor gives you between what you say and the consequences of your actions can change people greatly as we all know. I'd suggest that most of the people that do this kind of stuff are reasonable people though, and would be extremely embarrassed if they had to confront those on the receiving end.

For me, the inner levels of frustration they must feel to want to type stuff like that is punishment enough.

I don't think they are reasonable people at all. If their actions had no consequences in real life, they would happily carry out their threats.

Witness any Holocaust or Genocide. The people who threaten to torture and kill people in a chat box are the same people who do it for real when given the opportunity.

If anyone thinks it can't happen here, think again.

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »

I got the hope you die of cancer line in one of the ISPT feeders the other day after getting there, it was in a 2 euro comp.

Mind boggles.

Have you ever met anyone in live poker, or just plain real life, say that to you?

Guess it is all a part of the keyboard warrior thing.

Plus, thankfully, none of them have ever, presumably, seen real life tragedies, be it cancer, death, mental illness, at close hand, or to their own family, or themself.

If you are on Twitter, & follow poker players, you see the "Live" version, when they Tweet from a Live Poker Table. "The retarded moron next to me is SO bad".

Meanwhile, sat at the table, he is presumably not saying the same things.....

I haven't no, I'd be doing an Audley Harrison on there ass if they did.

I think it's two different things to berate a player for being terrible just for the sake of it, which is ofc beyond stupid, compared to you moaning about a villain that played a hand terribly and got lucky and bust you which is understandably pretty frustrating, but all part of the game.

What does that involve?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

I got the hope you die of cancer line in one of the ISPT feeders the other day after getting there, it was in a 2 euro comp.

Mind boggles.

Have you ever met anyone in live poker, or just plain real life, say that to you?

Guess it is all a part of the keyboard warrior thing.

Plus, thankfully, none of them have ever, presumably, seen real life tragedies, be it cancer, death, mental illness, at close hand, or to their own family, or themself.

If you are on Twitter, & follow poker players, you see the "Live" version, when they Tweet from a Live Poker Table. "The retarded moron next to me is SO bad".

Meanwhile, sat at the table, he is presumably not saying the same things.....

I haven't no, I'd be doing an Audley Harrison on there ass if they did.

I think it's two different things to berate a player for being terrible just for the sake of it, which is ofc beyond stupid, compared to you moaning about a villain that played a hand terribly and got lucky and bust you which is understandably pretty frustrating, but all part of the game.

What does that involve?

Me trying to look all confident before insta getting knocked out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: