blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  MMA Thread/Betting
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMA Thread/Betting  (Read 212365 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

Love how Dana just vents in the press conferences!

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »

Bullshit decision in the main event! Hendricks is a boss.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 17, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »

I think Hendricks is great, but think he made himself look a bit muggy in the press conference.

'I was only hitting him with 70%, not even full power, and I couldn't have done any more to win the fight'

Like Dana said to him -  'Um, yeah, you could have done more.... You left it to the judges'

Still, it was a poor decision and I liked how the whole sabbatical thing was dealt with too.

Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 17, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »

I think Hendricks is great, but think he made himself look a bit muggy in the press conference.

'I was only hitting him with 70%, not even full power, and I couldn't have done any more to win the fight'

Like Dana said to him -  'Um, yeah, you could have done more.... You left it to the judges'

Still, it was a poor decision and I liked how the whole sabbatical thing was dealt with too.

Agree, he was like "after the first 2 minutes I thought I had the rest of the fight"  he clearly lost 2 rounds  "I did everything I could to win that fight and I know I can go 5 rounds" he took round 5 off coz he thought he had it won already and he looked to have slowed way down by round 3 after only throwing everything at 70%.  I think Hendricks also said something about clearly outstriking GSP but I think fightmetric has it really close and maybe even in GSPs favour in total strikes and signif strikes

I really dont think its as much of a robbery as everyone is saying it is, I actually missed the 1st round which seems to be the one GSP got that people think shoudve went to Hendricks and Ive only seen R2-5 once but I thought GSP clearly won 3/5 meaning he just needs the judges to fuck up 1 round elsewhere to win the fight.  I think all the uproar is coz Hendricks did more damage in the rounds he won but he didnt do enough to make any of them 10-8 rounds.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 18, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »

I stayed up for the press conference, but they had lots of technical problems, and it was very disjointed.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OL9KQjL05M

Press conference starts from the 12 minute mark, and Dana goes right into one from the start Cheesy

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 20, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »

Just got caught up with UFC167
obviously my 6 fold bet fell at the first hurdle.
Ebersole was just outclassed by Story.
Thought it was a big ask.

Cerone looked great, and Woodley did what I thought he would.

I was still in for a 3 fold on MacDonald, Evans and GSP, but by half way through round 2 I was pulling really hard for Lawler.
That was mainly down to Joe Rogan, who I thought was at his very worst, most biased on Saturday. MacDonald winning clearly matched his inner narrative, so that's the way he called it. Round 1 was a clear Lawler victory for me, but Rogan saw it razor thin. MacDonald edged the 2nd, so obviously Rogan saw it as dominant. In round 3 Rogan was saying it was Lawler who was fighting in desperation mode, although it was clearly tied. Then MacDonald grabbed a leg and Rogan screamed about the amazing takedown, but it wasn't even close to completed, and Lawler easily stayed on his feet. Lawler easily won the 3rd round, even though he spent the final 30 seconds with MacDonald on top. not one of the elbows thrown landed, and it was a clear 29/28 Lawler. Hype train derailed. boo hoo.

Because the bet was now off, I was able to switch to supporting Sonnen, who's really grown on me over the last year or two. Unfortunately, Evans dismantled him with ease. Sonnen needs to smash Wanderlai, then hang 'em up. He's got such a great career mapped out commentating and promoting the UFC. He's always said, as soon as he doesn't believe he can be champion, he'll walk away, and he'll never beat Jones or Silva (who will be champ again before the year's out)

Then the main event.
Haven't watched all the pressers, media scrums and interviews yet, but I gather there's some fuss about that decision.
I gave the 1st to Hendricks, although the metrics make that one look extremely close, and maybe even favour GSP.
I gave 2 to GSP, but the metrics definitely go against me here. I though he landed some nice clean head strikes that Hendricks made a big show of shrugging off, but they were clean shots nonetheless.
3 was clearly GSP's round. The takedown in the last minute do nothing to undo the domination GSP had that round.
I gave 4 to Hendricks and the stats back that up.
5 was weird, because Hendricks, his corner, and of course Joe Rogan, were all talking as if it were a done deal and he just had to cruise down the final straight, but I (and two of the judges) had it 2 rounds each. GSP got his takedowns and more significant strikes, and for me, earned a perfectly fine 48-47 win.

Rogan was a disgrace in the post fight interviews, and the only clip of Dana I've seen so far, he hung GSP out to dry too. GSP has clearly got something major going on in his life he was undecided on revealing, but he was respectful of Hendricks' abilities and the challenge he'd posed. Despite Goldberg saying Hendricks was classy in defeat, he was far from it. Acted like a petulant child who'd got caught trying to pinch something that wassn't his, and begrudged giving it back. Don't get me wrong, I rate Hendricks as a fighter, but not only did the good lord not want him to win, he didn't earn the win.

I'm personally hoping what ever it is GSP has to deal with only keeps him on the sidelines temporarily, and that Hendricks fights someone for a #1 contender match, wins, then GSP can beat him more emphatically next time.

No controversy here, move along, nothing to see.

Other thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:38:24 AM by AdamM » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »

Watched the press conference first.
There was wholesale character assassination going on of GSP for the first half hour.
Then he brought himself back from being stitched up and just oozed class.
I think everyone felt a bit silly when he did TBH.
GSP is an absolute legend, hero and a gentleman.

I hope whatever it is he's got to deal with makes him stronger, and that he goes on o defend his belt for many fights to come.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »

...and in the media scrum, having taken a bit of time to talk to GSP, Dana is a lot less chilled.
I still disagree with him that there's any controversy about the decision, but I'll re-watch it as objectively as I can.
I think Dana has been suffering at the hands of Nevada Athletic Commission recently and maybe be over reacting to this decision as a result.

looks like GSP will heal up, then immediately rematch.
WARRR GSP!!
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 20, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »

Same thing happen to you that happened to Rogan during the McDonald fight?

Smiley

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »

I'm not saying it couldn't go either way, just that it's not a controversial one.
The Fight metrics basically give 3 & 5 to GSP, 2 & 4 to Hendricks and 1 as near as damn it, tied.
but the judges obviously don't have access to metrics, replays, or Rogan's gibbering.

48/47 either way or 48/48 are all fair decisions.

but yes, as I said, I will be rewatching as open mindedly as possible.
I hope when Rogan and Dana do, they see it was closer than they did at the time.

I think the Gustaffson Jones result was far worse than this one, but he's not getting an immediate rematch.

EDIT: wow, just looked at the metrics for Jones v Gustaffson. they make it look even worse that live viewing did.
Swede was robbed Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:04:56 PM by AdamM » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »

Watched it again. No sound, took a few notes, rewound a few times to check contact.

Round 1, most significant strikes were definitely Hendricks' elbows on GSP's 1st takedown attempt.
GSP was striking from the outside, landing several clean leg kicks and a clean headkick early on.
There was a successful takedown each, but GSP popped back to his feet immediately when he was down, but had a submission attepmt when he got his.
They were pretty even in the clinch, the difference maybe being Hendricks' heavy knees to the front leg of GSP.
10-9 either way coul be given, but 10-10 would probably be the fairest score there. Not that they're often given.

Round 2 still looked a lot closer in motion than the stats suggest.
GSP was landing stiff jabs earlt on. When Hendricks landed, there was no doubt it was heavier.
GSP slipped in an exchange and Hendricks took advantage with some heavy strikes that wobbled GSP a bit.
After a very short break to replace Hendricks mouth piece, GSP seemed to have steadied again.
most of the clinch work looked fairly even, and GSP landed a clean head kick late on.
again, 10-9 either way is possible.
Taking into account his time on top, Hendricks edges it.

Round 3, GSP was pushing forward. GSP was clearly landing more shots, but Hendricks' strikes certainly seemed heavier.
Hendricks got a takedown, but GSP popped straight back up.
Another really close round, but GSP was the more aggressive for me.
10-9 either way possible, but GSP for me.

Round 4
GSP tripped as their legs tangled up in a striking exchange.
Hendricks followed up and took advantage with some GnP
after a couple of minutes on top, Hendricks elected to let GSP up but still dominated the rest of the round with heavy striking.
Clear 10-9 for Hendricks.

Round 5, early on GSP landed a decent kick, followed by punches and a takedown.
On the feet they were throwing fairly evenly, but GSP seemed to be landing more accurately.
A second takedown by GSP didn't keep Hendricks down long, but there was nothing Hendricks sis that could justify anything other than 10-9 GSP

so R1 could go either way
R2 Hendricks edges it
R3 GSP fairly clearly
R4 Hendricks even clearer
R5 GSP clearly

from what I understand, it was R1 the judges differed on, two seeing it GSP's was, and one Hendricks.
48-48 would have been just fine, or 48-47 either way is not unjustifiable.
I changed my mind on tweo rounds after a second watch, and could well change back on a third watch.
No controversy. Right man has the belt.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:26:31 PM by AdamM » Logged
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 30, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »

Went with Davey Grant at 9/5 tonight, think Holdsworth might be being slightly overrated. 4/1 for the decision too. Fancy Maynard on points too, he's won 3 of his last 7 by split decision and there's a draw in there too so think the 5/1 for a split in his favour could be a player.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 30, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »

Watched it again. No sound, took a few notes, rewound a few times to check contact.

Round 1, most significant strikes were definitely Hendricks' elbows on GSP's 1st takedown attempt.
GSP was striking from the outside, landing several clean leg kicks and a clean headkick early on.
There was a successful takedown each, but GSP popped back to his feet immediately when he was down, but had a submission attepmt when he got his.
They were pretty even in the clinch, the difference maybe being Hendricks' heavy knees to the front leg of GSP.
10-9 either way coul be given, but 10-10 would probably be the fairest score there. Not that they're often given.

Round 2 still looked a lot closer in motion than the stats suggest.
GSP was landing stiff jabs earlt on. When Hendricks landed, there was no doubt it was heavier.
GSP slipped in an exchange and Hendricks took advantage with some heavy strikes that wobbled GSP a bit.
After a very short break to replace Hendricks mouth piece, GSP seemed to have steadied again.
most of the clinch work looked fairly even, and GSP landed a clean head kick late on.
again, 10-9 either way is possible.
Taking into account his time on top, Hendricks edges it.

Round 3, GSP was pushing forward. GSP was clearly landing more shots, but Hendricks' strikes certainly seemed heavier.
Hendricks got a takedown, but GSP popped straight back up.
Another really close round, but GSP was the more aggressive for me.
10-9 either way possible, but GSP for me.

Round 4
GSP tripped as their legs tangled up in a striking exchange.
Hendricks followed up and took advantage with some GnP
after a couple of minutes on top, Hendricks elected to let GSP up but still dominated the rest of the round with heavy striking.
Clear 10-9 for Hendricks.

Round 5, early on GSP landed a decent kick, followed by punches and a takedown.
On the feet they were throwing fairly evenly, but GSP seemed to be landing more accurately.
A second takedown by GSP didn't keep Hendricks down long, but there was nothing Hendricks sis that could justify anything other than 10-9 GSP

so R1 could go either way
R2 Hendricks edges it
R3 GSP fairly clearly
R5 GSP clearly

from what I understand, it was R1 the judges differed on, two seeing it GSP's was, and one Hendricks.
48-48 would have been just fine, or 48-47 either way is not unjustifiable.
I changed my mind on tweo rounds after a second watch, and could well change back on a third watch.
No controversy. Right man has the belt.

Sorry mate, I had meant to reply and completely forgot.

R1 could go either way
R2 Hendricks edges it
R3 GSP fairly clearly
R5 GSP clearly

I was much the same as yourself after watching it 3 times...

R1 - Hendricks
R2 - Hendricks
R3 - GSP
R4 - Hendricks
R5 - GSP

As you say, he can't have any complaints because he didn't finish him, and Dana always says don't leave it in their hands.

It's not my pocket speaking, because I had backed GSP to win on points and still think he should have lost Smiley

Definitely agree with everything Boba says too.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:25:53 PM by Marky147 » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 30, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »

Went with Davey Grant at 9/5 tonight, think Holdsworth might be being slightly overrated. 4/1 for the decision too. Fancy Maynard on points too, he's won 3 of his last 7 by split decision and there's a draw in there too so think the 5/1 for a split in his favour could be a player.

Absolute comedy how some of the americans don't make weight, watching them around the house it was like they had copied their diet straight from my handbook Cheesy

I'll multi up your picks for a sweat, and hopefully you can sweep me into the money, Scotty!

scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 30, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »

Absolute comedy how some of the americans don't make weight, watching them around the house it was like they had copied their diet straight from my handbook Cheesy

I'll multi up your picks for a sweat, and hopefully you can sweep me into the money, Scotty!

I'm not huge on anything, just think Grant should be 5/4. He's 15/8 now.

Anyone you like Mark? Pretty meh card really.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: