blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:46:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Live Tourney exit hand - Would you play it differently?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Tourney exit hand - Would you play it differently?  (Read 3281 times)
Pokerron

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:15:59 PM »

Last 9 of a (poorly structured) live MTT.   Average stack is 4,500, I have 7k, blinds are 500/1000 (told you!), I am in small blind.  I have just moved tables, this is hand number 2 at the final, I folded to a raise when in BB, seat 5 did not play hand 1. 

Play has been 'all in or fold' for at least 15 minutes.  Top 3 get paid.

Folded to seat 5 (7k) who calls, seat 6 and 7 fold:

Me:

I raise to 3,500 total, leaving me 3.5k.  I dont mind winning the 2k there and then, but will happily call any raises as BB and seat 5 have equal chips to me.   BB fold and seat 5 throws in 3k without thinking about folding or putting me all in.

Flop: 

Seat 5 checks

I go all in for the remainder and was called by a sheepish looking seat 5 who showed  and I lose.

I left the event feeling I had done nothing wrong and that the guy who knew nothing about me made a poor call and hit after calling off 50% of his chips with ace rag.    3 days later I am looking at myself to see what I did wrong and whether I should have gone all in rather than raising so little (though this was enough to commit over 75% of the table).

Any comments? 

The Thread Killer
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »

With such high blinds, by raising half of your stack, you are telling the table that you will be calling any raise all in anyway, so i would bet allin in that scenario as it means the exact same.

You was a little unlucky for sure, however with such small stacks and huge blinds, his A5 could be ahead of many possible hands you are raising with. A5 in his hand here is probably equivalent to AQ early on. Right or wrong, any ace at this stage is often perceived as the best starting hand and often is.

It is wiser to let people think you are a fool, than open open your mouth and remove all doubt.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »

I would also have pushed all in preflop.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:11:08 PM »

I raise to 3,500 total, leaving me 3.5k.  I dont mind winning the 2k there and then

Given the stack to blind ration in the game this shows a huge flaw in your thinking, if you get QQ here you should be devestated if you just pick up the 2k. You have the 3rd best hand in the deck in a crapshoot. I would be trying to get as much money into the pot as possible.

You played the hand perfect.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
maldini32

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:46:24 PM »

a badly disguised bad beat...
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:02:39 PM »

a badly disguised bad beat...

I cant see the disguise

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:56:34 AM »

when you play tournaments structured like this you really have to be in push/fold mode from about an hour in! i'd of pushed no question. i mean if someone called that raise and an ace or king hit the flop. you're left with 3.5 x BB and have played yourself out of the tournament really.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:02:08 AM »

Yep. You're right. it was a poor play on the other players behalf and you were unlucky to lose. But, there was no point not going all in pre flop. Surely he would have folded the Ace Five then.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 09:13:42 AM »

when you play tournaments structured like this you really have to be in push/fold mode from about an hour in! i'd of pushed no question. i mean if someone called that raise and an ace or king hit the flop. you're left with 3.5 x BB and have played yourself out of the tournament really.

So you push just incase someone hits a 3 out?

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 09:16:47 AM »

Yes, it may seem ridiculous to say that, but at this stage in the tournament you can't afford to let any bad players get lucky on you. You also push because the blinds are big and you should be happy to win those even if everyone folds.

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »

Yes, it may seem ridiculous to say that, but at this stage in the tournament you can't afford to let any bad players get lucky on you. You also push because the blinds are big and you should be happy to win those even if everyone folds.

Reading your earlier posts i thought i had found an ally in the "get value with big hands" camp rather than the "push all in now incase someone outdraws me" camp!

Back to the lonely camp for me!

I always want bad players to be trying to get lucky on me, if they stopped doing that i would have to get a job!

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 11:44:08 AM »

Reading your earlier posts i thought i had found an ally in the "get value with big hands" camp rather than the "push all in now incase someone outdraws me" camp!

I always want bad players to be trying to get lucky on me, if they stopped doing that i would have to get a job!

Cant you beat the good players?                                 

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »

Cant you beat the good players?                                 

I never play any!

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 11:49:39 AM »

You've never played in the poker capital of london - Woolwich!!!!! Grin

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »

Yes you're right, and i do agree with you and in the long run you will obviously make a lot more money than you'd lose against Ace Five. I Just wouldnt want to take any risks on the final table when you only have around 7k left, because any Ace or King on the flop and you're hand may well be destroyed.

If you had 12,000 plus it was just a raise of course, but by going all in with 7,000 you would buy the 1,500 and therefore have a couple more rounds.

Idont think that there is really a "correct play" here, its more down to individual interpretation.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: