blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:18:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272944 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  I'm worried about the future
Poll
Question: How Do You Rate Steve McClaren?
Englands' new Svenghali - 4 (22.2%)
Svens' sweaty goolie - 14 (77.8%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm worried about the future  (Read 2597 times)
divingduck

Trying is the first step towards failure...

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »

Good luck England in the rest of the World Cup. We're just 3 wins away from bringing that trophy home. However I cant help thinking about the future and whatever the result of this tournament is, I can only see us going backwards under the new management. What do you think?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 05:46:41 PM »

Hopefully McLaren will last about a year and they will get someone decent in time for the Euros.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »

Hopefully McLaren will last about a year and they will get someone decent in time for the Euros.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:59:52 PM »

Would hate to see how an international manager could get sacked in 12 months.....

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:41:59 PM »

An awful choice.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »

Quite agree, but we at least ought to give Steve a go.

Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »

Would hate to see how an international manager could get sacked in 12 months.....

well if he was court shagging a secretary at the FA..... Cheesy

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »

An awful choice.

I agree
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:24:26 PM »

The theory is spot on... get someone to build a relationship and be involved long term... he was the best english choice and has motivated a very average team to progress deep in cup competitions over several years (pains me to say it cos i hate them)..... As seen as the national team is really all about knockout comps then it seems a logical choice.

like I say the best english choice...

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »

I've always been an optimist  Wink

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 09:13:54 PM »

On the basis that if he is it would have to be to the point that we couldnt qualiy for euro 2008... that is the only ay he would get sacked.

You cant please anyone... dont want a foriegn manager... dont want him...

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »

Big Sam would have been an interesting choice and something that would have excited the public more.

I expect England to qualify for most tournaments we have good players and England don't need a good manger to do reasonably well. Juts look at Sven!
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »

Big Sam would have been an interesting choice and something that would have excited the public more.

I expect England to qualify for most tournaments we have good players and England don't need a good manger to do reasonably well. Juts look at Sven!

Big sam gets more credit because he works with a budget and is a decent del boy... that is one skill of no use in the national game. If you compare the two managerial records, McClaren's is better and has more experience in working at the top levels. (England & Man u)

The problem with past appointments, ie Sven & Keegan is that they have been made to excite the public - have these worked?

Nem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »

He's the best English man for the job.

I voted yes, and alll of you will be eating your words when he proves what a great coach he is.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 01:58:04 PM »

Nem

Steve McLaren is over flowing with many of the qualitys people say Sven Lacks. He's passionate and animated and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks he's behind alot of the more inspired selections / changes we occasionally see. I expect him to be a success but I don't expect the glass half empty brigade to change their mind.

I've actually been a Sven fan ON BALANCE although he's infuriated me occasionally. (Walcott not playing any part against Sweden/bringing Rooney on for Owen rather than Crouch against TaT) I think the Redtop vendetta against him from day one has been in very poor taste and I hate the loud shouting for an 'English coach , unless Martin O'Neill is available, in which case we'll have him please.' I wouldn't have wanted Scolari because I think you at least need to be able to speak the same language as your players/coaching staff/employers but if the best man for the job is foreign (as was the case when Sven was appointed) then we should be happy with that. Is there a descending order of preference of nationality these people will accept? ie
English => other British => R.Ireland => premiership European => Other European => South American => etc

And why should Sven not be able to speak to potential future employer like he would in any other industry. The Mirror fit up was disgraceful. What ever you think of his tactics I think to suggest he's given anything less than 100% to the job is wrong and you'll certainly get the same from McLaren.

Come On England
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: